The Neo Geo mini is coming...

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Same reason they put the buttons on incorrectly.

I don’t think it’s the same exact reason.
I mean, with the stick I think the only reason is going cheap, spend less, but with the buttons I see some form of reasoning; the Jap version is all about fighting games and with the new “weird” layout they put punches on the top row and kicks on the bottom one, like Capcom fighters.
I’m not saying the new layout is better, I’m just saying that, at least, with the button mapping I see some sort of clumsy attempt to please customers, while the analog stick is just cheap.

Regards.

Locutus73

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Quality aside, and maybe it's just me, but how did SNK miss some of the best games for the system? AOF 2/3, Magical Drop 2/3, World Heroes Perfect, etc. I nearly pulled the trigger on ncsx.com until I saw the game list and what games are missing.

I'll stick with Switch and my CMVS.

Zenjay

n00b
World Heroes Perfect is in both versions, actually. What I don't get with these mini systems is why don't they make expansion paks available for more games in the future. Seems like a big missed opportunity to cash-in on old games even more. That's one thing the Neo Geo X did right. It's just to bad the execution sucked and it died because of it.

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Watch this video at 50% speed and check out the amount of input lag this thing has:

That’s an interesting point.
Did anyone measure real MVS+CRT input lag on some games?
Just to have a reference for emulation setups or real MVS on HDTV.

Many thanks in advance.

Locutus73

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
That’s an interesting point.
Did anyone measure real MVS+CRT input lag on some games?
Just to have a reference for emulation setups or real MVS on HDTV.

Many thanks in advance.

Locutus73

There would be zero input lag on CRT. The only lag would be the inherent lag from the frame buffer of the hardware itself which is different for many games across different platforms.

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
There would be zero input lag on CRT. The only lag would be the inherent lag from the frame buffer of the hardware itself which is different for many games across different platforms.

Yes, I know there’s zero added input lag from CRT, but only the inherent one of specific games. Indeed I was asking if anyone measured this specific lag for some games, in order to have a reference frame. I.e. someone measures the lag of Metal Slug on original MVS+CRT and that’s N frames; then we can try this Neo Geo Mini and see (I put random numbers) it’s N+6 frames while FBA on RPi is N+3 (always random numbers) and we can draw the conclusions.
Something like this https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNES/c...y_analysis_of_nes_snes_classics_and_retropie/

Regards.

Locutus73

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
i still don't understand why anyone feels compelled to play an arcade machine made for garden gnomes

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
i still don't understand why anyone feels compelled to play an arcade machine made for garden gnomes

It's gimmicky. I'd play it for five minutes and put it on the shelf.

I was interested when it first announced, but the hype died down really fast.

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher

Who is going to buy this mini in order to play games?
Does anyone play games here?

Regards.

Locutus73

damasco

n00b
Definitively not going to buy this mini.
I have small hands and short fingers ... but I'll stay on my SC19 :)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Who is going to buy this mini in order to play games?
Does anyone play games here?

Regards.

Locutus73

Most here either have a arcade cabinet, cmvs, aes console with either original games or a NeoSd. So if people here want to play the Neo, they can play it in the purist form possible.

I would say some here still play casually but most probably play every once and a while.

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Most here either have a arcade cabinet, cmvs, aes console with either original games or a NeoSd. So if people here want to play the Neo, they can play it in the purist form possible.

I would say some here still play casually but most probably play every once and a while.

Joking apart, I’ll tell you mine: I have quite a good emulation PC and several mobile devices for playing emulated Neo Geo and I’m sourcing all I need (OSSC, Supergun, etc.) to play with a real MVS on my HDTVs and Projectors (yes, I know that CRT is the real deal), just for the mere pleasure of it.
Having said that, I think I’ll buy the mini for these reasons (in order of importance):
  1. Paying SNK (I know it’s not the real old SNK) a fee for their intellectual properties I use somewhere else (I know the license is for playing them on the mini, but it’s better than nothing).
  2. Having a nice (functional) ornament for my desk office.
  3. Collecting (meh…).
  4. Maybe I’ll give it a try with a pair of Metal Slugs runs.

Regards.

Locutus73

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Joking apart, I’ll tell you mine: I have quite a good emulation PC and several mobile devices for playing emulated Neo Geo and I’m sourcing all I need (OSSC, Supergun, etc.) to play with a real MVS on my HDTVs and Projectors (yes, I know that CRT is the real deal), just for the mere pleasure of it.
Having said that, I think I’ll buy the mini for these reasons (in order of importance):
  1. Paying SNK (I know it’s not the real old SNK) a fee for their intellectual properties I use somewhere else (I know the license is for playing them on the mini, but it’s better than nothing).
  2. Having a nice (functional) ornament for my desk office.
  3. Collecting (meh…).
  4. Maybe I’ll give it a try with a pair of Metal Slugs runs.

Regards.

Locutus73

LOL What a faggot

Regards.

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Keep paying those fees for using intellectual properties, brah.

Honestly I live a wealthy life thanks to my IPs and I feel fine paying a small fee to people I vaguely consider colleagues of mine. This is the first time I pay for these IPs and 90 bucks is not that much, the gimmick hardware (a desk ornament) comes free to me.

P.S: I was trying to troll you with my last post, but, evidently, the inner joke wasn’t clear; i’m a noob, I must try harder.

Regards.

Locutus73

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I find it odd that a designer decided to make a concession to Capcom on the button layout. The concession to modern consoles on the pad is baffling to a slightly lesser degree.

The stick may just have a circular gate and may not actually be analog.

I assume Magical Drop isn't included because it's Data East, and SNK doesn't own the rights.

SNK acquired Nazca though, so Neo Turfmasters should've been included.

Last edited:

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Not everyone, just you.

Well, a good amount of your posts are about telling people they are “fagit”, “faggot” or whatever... anyway I thought it would have been funnier, nevermind.

Regards.

Locutus73

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Well, a good amount of your posts are about telling people they are “fagit”, “faggot” or whatever... anyway I thought it would have been funnier, nevermind.

Regards.

Locutus73

I don't use the word "fagit", thats madman.

I call a spade a spade, you fucking guinea.

Regards.

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher