The Neo Geo mini is coming...

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
So this just got tweeted earlier today by SNK Japan...
https://mobile.twitter.com/SNKPofficial_jp/status/986786502679015424

And translated it says...
This year, SNK brand celebrates 40th anniversary. A new game machine that contains popular titles of NEOGEO will emerge, expressing gratitude to all fans who support SNK's works such as "KOF" "Legend of Fatal Family" "Samsupi" "Metasura" ! Please stay tuned. The Future is Now!

Looks like they are planning a Neo Geo mini...

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
Hope this is the future of a new console in the making if it sells well.a

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Hope this is the future of a new console in the making if it sells well.a

Seriously doubt SNK has the cashflow to R&D a new console, plus why would they do that? You can just release games on consoles/pc and make money that way. What could they possibly offer that the current gen cannot?

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
A new sprite based system. Take Nintendo's way and do something different than anyone else.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
A new sprite based system. Take Nintendo's way and do something different than anyone else.

You can make sprites in pretty much any engine that is available now to any developer. There would be ZERO reason for SNK to create a new engine just for 2d art, you can use Unity, Game Maker Studio 2, etc. The R&D alone for a new engine would crush the company. Then the R&D for a new system? Even the switch is using off the shelf engines for game making.

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Unreal Engine is pretty neat for 2D looking fighting games under the right hands... i.e. Arc Systems.

Locutus73

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
To support the company, maybe. A bar top style I would pry be down with that.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I'm here to watch all the retards that think/wish/hope/pray that this will be a new system.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
It’s going to be another POS like the Neo Geo X.

But I’d like to be proven wrong.

gamesboro

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Forget a mini, I want a modernized AES with hdmi and a cartridge port. Throw in some built in games and I’m all set.

While I’m dreaming of things that are never gonna happen rerelease some carts as well.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
https://www.resetera.com/threads/neogeo-mini-incoming-for-snks-40th-anniversary.9669/

e5o4CHe.jpg

"GE presented Mr. Bader Al-Asaker with a special gold version of the NEOGEO mini, which is a product designed to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the SNK brand."

Going by this pic it is just a small gimmicky toy arcade, not a full bartop.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
It’s going to be another POS like the Neo Geo X.

Maybe, but SNK did take legal action to stop Tommo from making more Neo Geo X consoles when it was clear they were piles of shit, so you'd think they'd learned their lesson that time... But maybe that's a tad too optimistic.

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
You can make sprites in pretty much any engine that is available now to any developer. There would be ZERO reason for SNK to create a new engine just for 2d art, you can use Unity, Game Maker Studio 2, etc. The R&D alone for a new engine would crush the company. Then the R&D for a new system? Even the switch is using off the shelf engines for game making.

Atari is even bringing a new systems the market. Just as a reference I mean it would be cool to see SNK do it all over again.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Atari is even bringing a new systems the market. Just as a reference I mean it would be cool to see SNK do it all over again.

Yeah, and everyone's already shitting on the VCS, given it's just a generic Linux box, that can play some 2600 games and stream games from a PC, which is really, really underwhelming and typically Atari.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Yeah, and everyone's already shitting on the VCS, given it's just a generic Linux box, that can play some 2600 games and stream games from a PC, which is really, really underwhelming and typically Atari.

They would make more money if they just sold the casing.

shadowtek

n00b
I'm hoping it's either A. An official mini system with HDMI, original style controllers and spot on emulation, or B. A surprise 40th anniversary system that is a reproduction/reprinting of the AES full scale with built in games but also the ability to play carts all over HDMI.