The Neo Geo mini is coming...

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
I got my Neo Geo Mini the other day, and thought I'd post my thoughts on it and how it compares to the Neo-Geo X:

-Physical Build Quality (system & controller) Neo-Geo Mini (NGM) > Neo-Geo X (NGX)

Both products' build quality is good with some favor going to the mini since the mini setup is less than what the NGX launched as. Beyond the shell, the NGX had cheap components going on with it; handheld screen, wiring in the base unit, etc. There's been a lot of gnashed teeth over the lack of clickiness of the NGM controller. As someone who's owned all Neo-Geo systems since the early 90's I actually like NGM controllers and have no issues performing moves in fighting games. The controllers are different yes, but work fine for me.

-User Interface NGM < NGX

The NGM should have gotten a red cab for it's international version, with the exception of select territories this is what the world got. NGM screen is sharp but too small. The NGX made better use of it's small screen by being truly portable, whereas the NGM's screen is great but defeated by being too small and in a non-portable form. The NGX had a great concept and look, but cheap execution with shitty video quality.

-Video Quality NGM > NGX

NGM in console mode is sharp and pixel perfect. The output on a TV is a disappointment by being blurry. The NGM video output quality is just a hair better than the NGX with the latest update. However, NGM console mode video quality is much better than the NGX. I know people hated the NGX handheld's aspect ratio, but I don't see anything wrong with offering the option to switch back and forth. I hope that SNK releases a downloadable patch that can be installed on the NGM to sharpen the HDMI video output to SNES Classic level quality. Do it SNK. I don't want to hear your excuses.

-Sound Quality: NGM = NGX

Both systems offer robust and clear sound. No complaints here.

NGM Warranty?

Yeah. There doesn't seem to be any mention of this anywhere. Shady and weak. It's like saying you don't have faith in your products and don't respect the people buying them. There should be a 90 day limited warranty here. Come on SNK.

-NGM Improvements: Embrace each Neo-Geo regions' unique heritage both physically and in software image. Instead of floppy disk icons, why not little memory card icons to represent save states? Also, the navigation screen is generic without music. They should have thought more about the Neo-Geo image legacy and worked this into the software image. This is a missed opportunity.

-NGM International (games I wish were included)

-Fatal Fury (yeah, play mechanics aren't the best, but dammit it's fun, and deserves to be in there over controller-destroyer 3 Count Bout)
-Real Bout Fatal Fury Special or Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 (replace KOF '97 or 2000 with either of these)
-Neo Turf Masters (Top Crap Golf? They chose this shit over NTM? Seriously?)
-Art of Fighting 2 (2 is more refined than 1)
-Super Sidekicks 2, 3, or Neo-Geo Cup '98 (1 is weak compared to all of it's sequels. Why SNK, why?)
-Baseball Stars Professional (no baseball game? This is fuckin' 'Merica, though I do appreciate Frenzy being tossed in)
-The King of Fighters 2003 (trade '97 and 2000 for this since '98 and 2002 offers all these characters)
-World Heroes 2 or Jet (was the refinement of the series preceding WHP)

Last edited:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I think you're missing the point, the NGM is meant to be a cash grab, nothing else, nothing more.

The best thing about it, is your probably helping fund the new Samurai Shodown.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
a product being a "cash grab" should never be the openly stated point in buying it, but you're right

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
It's a cash grab.

Here's some more. These appear to be unofficial.

Neo Storage Box for carrying your mini around:
https://www.4gamer.net/games/999/G999902/20181012068/

The company it links to, Columbus Circle, doesn't seem to have a product page for it. However it does have a page for a NG mini/PS3/PS4 USB controller adapter:
https://www.columbuscircle.co.jp/products/?id=1537263995-984996&p=1&ca=56

This product "(Superconverter for (NEOGEO mini)) is a controller conversion adapter that can use the controller for PS4 / PS3 with the NEOGEO mini main unit. In addition to "controller", "arcade stick" can also be used, so you can enjoy "fighting game" and "action game" more seriously.
Also, when using "Arcade Stick", it is possible to set the button arrangement freely. You can play with your easy-to-play button arrangement.
This product can be connected to 1P side and 2P side, either controller jack.

Gaoh

New Challenger
a product being a "cash grab" should never be the openly stated point in buying it, but you're right

It should be, that's how they revive their brand, I could care less how much they charge I would buy one hands down since it's something new. About the warranty I had an issue with my first Neo Geo Mini where it was kind of my fault anyways since the battery pack fell and the console with it therefore the power port got a bit loose, I just called Amazon and they sent me another one easy.

I love it, but the biggest difference between Nintendo and SNk is the fact that even though Nintendo prays on nostalgia way worse than other companies, with their classic releases to say the least include access to the games manual included in the console via PDF through their website. SNK does this but they want you to buy their cheat mini book exclusive to Japan, heck they even sell a dust cover for the screen and a massive 300.00USD back pack meant to carry mini, that I want if I could find it first.

https://www.snk-onlineshop.com/

Last edited:

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
xmas.jpg

Neo Geo Mini Christmas Edition comes with more games:

Aggressors of Dark Kombat
Alpha Mission II
Art of Fighting
Blazing Star
Blue’s Journey
Burning Fight
Cyber-Lip
Fatal Fury – NEW
Fatal Fury 2 – NEW
Fatal Fury 3 – NEW
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
King of the Monsters
King of the Monsters 2
Kizuna Encounter
League Bowling – NEW
Magician Lord
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug X
Metal Slug 4
Metal Slug 5
Ninja Combat – NEW
Ninja Commando
Ninja Master’s
Puzzled
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special – NEW
Robo Army
Samurai Shodown II
Samurai Shodown IV
Samurai Shodown V Special
Savage Reign – NEW
Sengoku 3
Shock Troopers
Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad
Soccer Brawl – NEW
Super Sidekicks
The King of Fighters ’97
The King of Fighters ’98
The King of Fighters ’99
The King of Fighters 2001
The King of Fighters 2002
The Last Blade 2
The Super Spy – NEW
Top Hunter: Roddy & Cathy
Top Player’s Golf
Twinkle Star Sprites
World Heroes Perfect

Some of them were Japan exclusive.

Source (German)

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
I get the sinking feeling it's no hoax. Can we get a Neo-Geo Gold System or faux-wood themed MVS one too?

Last edited:

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Probably won't be the last Limited Edition but keep in mind it's the censored international version. Source is legit. Read the Samurai Shodown review in their first issue in 1993. Oldest German video game mag that is still on the market.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Why are people still discussing this pile of shit?

Godfather

n00b
I find it surprising that SNK shat all over the neo geo x gold but this they cosigned! Terrible.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member

This is the color (without the holiday stickers) they should have gone with for the usa release to begin with. Since the color scheme of the japanese neogeo mini was meant to play off the nostalgia of the cabinet design native to japan, this would have reflected the “Big Red” we were used to at least.

Last edited:

Burning Blade

Crazed MVS Addict
I want some of the cocaine from which ever executive came up with this fucking hideous piece of shit. That mother fucker had to have been high as a kite coming up this. What’s next a Star of David Neo Geo Mini. GTFO of here with this.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
This is the color (without the holiday stickers) they should have gone with for the usa release to begin with. Since the color scheme of the japanese neogeo mini was meant to play off the nostalgia of the cabinet design native to japan, this would have reflected the “Big Red” we were used to at least.
It would be nice if it comes with alternate stickers for the deck and marquee to make it look like a big red. The game lineup is an improvement. Fatal Fury 1 was a huge omission from the Japanese & International releases.

Neogeoman106st

Crossed Swords Squire
It would be nice if it comes with alternate stickers for the deck and marquee to make it look like a big red. The game lineup is an improvement. Fatal Fury 1 was a huge omission from the Japanese & International releases.
Because it makes sense in snk’s crazy world
. I say all the stickers will be Christmas theames. Also at the rate they are adding games .if we wait In a few years it will have all the games on it.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member

Agreed. Amazon has a listing for marquee stickers by themselves for the mini so if anything you can at least order those instead. Also, the other version of the mini came with extra stickers so if you have that you can use those too.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Cool i wish some of these neat little books were in English as they have all these little titbits of info you cant understand

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Wouldn't that just be a New Jew Mini?

To make the NeoGeo Mini a Christmas Ed. and not just a Holiday Edition is a marketing misstep. It shouldn't have any association with any particular religious belief.