‘Full Metal Jacket’ actor R. Lee Ermey dead at 74

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/r-lee-ermey-dead-at-74-full-metal-jacket-gunny/

R. Lee Ermey, a former drill instructor who became a Marine Corps icon for his portrayal of Gunnery Sergeant Hartman aka "The Gunny" in the 1972 film "Full Metal Jacket, is dead, his manager said. He was 74.

"It is with deep sadness that I regret to inform you all that R. Lee Ermey ("The Gunny") passed away this morning from complications of pneumonia," his manager, Bill Rogin, posted on Facebook. "He will be greatly missed by all of us. It is a terrible loss that nobody was prepared for. He has meant so much to so many people. And, it is extremely difficult to truly quantify all of the great things this man has selflessly done for, and on behalf of, our many men and women in uniform."

Rogin quoted one of the famous lines from "Full Metal Jacket": "This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine" to describe Ermey. "There are many Gunny's, but this one was OURS," Rogin said. "And, we will honor his memory with hope and kindness. Please support your men and women in uniform. That's what he wanted most of all."

Ermey served as in the Marine Corps from 1961-1972, according to the Marine Times. According to the Marine Times, he left the Marine Corps as a staff sergeant, and later received an honorary promotion to gunnery sergeant from then-Commandant Gen. James Jones in 2002. He was stationed in Okinawa, Japan for one year until 1968, when he spent 14 months in Vietnam, according to Variety

Ermey landed his first film role in 1979's "Apocalypse Now," and also served as a technical adviser to Francis Ford Coppola. He had a number of small roles before landing the role in 1987's "Full Metal Jacket." He was nominated for a Golden Globe for the role of "The Gunny," the drill instructor who yelled lines such as "What is your major malfunction, numbnuts? Didn't mommy and daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?"

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
RIP. Great actor, great ambassador for our armed services, and ostensibly quite the character.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I totally loved his acting in FMJ. Very memorable character. R.I.P.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Just read about his passing. He had a great series on History awhile back and was the voice of Wildcat in the Justice League Unlimited and Brave and the Bold animated series. R.I.P.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
R.I.P. indeed. However, I didn't realize he was only 74(I thought he was older...)

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Loved him as Sgt. Hartman in FMJ, loved him as the police chief in Se7en ("This ain't even my desk!"), loved him on his History Channel shows. Gunny was everything you want from a good character actor. RIP, you tough son of a bitch.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Just read about his passing. He had a great series on History awhile back and was the voice of Wildcat in the Justice League Unlimited and Brave and the Bold animated series. R.I.P.

not in Unlimited.

thought he did a good job in saving silverman

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Damn, sorry to see him go. I've never watched Full Metal Jacket, so, I remember him best from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre films and Mail Call on the History Channel.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
He also had a cameo in The Frighteners, playing basically the same role.
His appearance in FMJ is the stuff of legends tho, he makes such an amazing impression.
RIP.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The article claiming that FMJ came out in 72 had my head spinning.

RIP.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Is that you? If so, that's a badass picture.

Thats me, I was in a unit staging in Kuwait to go into Iraq in 2003.
He rolled into town and did part of an episode about artillery and was kind enough to meet everybody on the base in a mess tent afterwards.
Actually IIRC he came out of a helicopter, no rolling involved I guess.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Every year I sing Happy Birthday to Jesus on Christmas morning because of that scene in FMJ.

Arguably the most quotable character in the history of cinema. It's either that or everyone in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
He was great in The Frighteners and TCM remake.

RIP

LadyVamp

Camel Slug
One of the best movies ever made.

Sad news, and the guy from Night Court/IT (the original Richie) also died.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
lol

What "new thing" have you seen from Harry Anderson?

The last new thing I saw was his guest appearance on 30 Rock, but that was quite a while ago now... so I don't know. I guess I should have focused on losing the potential of seeing something new from him, because I liked him. You got me.