The answer to the question that no one is asking. Language mod for Neo Geo CD Front Loader

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Maybe this would have been more helpful 20 years ago, but I today I figured out how to region mod the Front Loader Neo CD. Unlike the Top Loader and CDZ, the Front Loader is not labeled.

This location on the FL motherboard shares a similar circuit to the Top Loader's region selection.

G3SoBIb.jpg

Turning the board over, you see what looks like some unlabeled surface mount pads.
1T80o0p.jpg

It's as simple as bridging these pads to change the region.
jqda8wX.jpg

So there ya go. I had always been under the impression that the FL systems couldn't be region modded. I never bothered to look until today.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Every bit reverse engineering counts and this is quite a stylish one, the 20 years idle time make it poetic, too.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Hey we're always learning something new, awesome work.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Nice work! I never looked for this, just assumed it was already known.

NGCD > AES

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I never got into NGCD, but this find is cool. Great job!

By the looks of the board would you say that the cd is loaded into the say 'type' of chip arrangement as a cart. This could be why there are region codes. on the board. I might have to do some research on NGCD.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Always cool to see the user experience improve, even if it's only for a small subset of the Neo scene.