Sega Fes 2018 News: Mega Drive Mini / Shenmue 1&2 HD / Sega Ages (M2) Switch & More!

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Sega Fes 2018 News: Mega Drive Mini / Shenmue 1&2 HD / Sega Ages (M2) Switch & More!

There were lots of announcements today but details are short at the moment.

---

English Coverage at Gematsu

Shenmue I&II HD

---

Japanese Coverage

Official Site:
http://segafes.sega.jp/

Live Stream #1:

Live Stream #2:

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Hmm, the Classic Game Stage with MC8bit and M2’s Naoki Horii could be interesting.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Shemue 1 & 2 HD would be grand. Why has this taken so long...

Megadrive Mini I couldn’t give a toss about. My Multimega & Everdrive is all I need.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
still waiting on shenmue III.
it's good news the first two parts of the game will be available on other systems.
sourcing the dreamcast games is a nightmare, just as well i still have both the relz date copies.
more power to the franchise, it's long overdue. (and nobody will need a dreamcast for the experience either.) :D
[edit]
typo.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've got a bad feeling about this...
3fa276f9bc332ad27cdcfba1c85c583a.jpg

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
LOL @ "powered by the latest AtGames technology"...

J-P

NEST Puppet
Atgames? Seriously Sega it's like children run that company sometimes.

Also - Shenmue 1&2. They were fun to play on the DC the first time around, and I still own them (and I did enjoy them)... but I'm not sure I want to ever re-play them.

They were fun for what they were, and the concept was sound (if poorly executed). The game-play is stale in comparison with many modern releases. They were not completely without charm, but undeniably flawed. It would be nice if they were re-worked with additional content etc. More like the original 'Project Berkley' - i.e; more actual fighting game dynamics and 'action' gameplay rather than aimless wondering around and scrounging for cash to build your capsule collection. They had terrible dialogue, shitty voice acting ("Hey Ryooooo!") and stupid pacing (the tower at the end of Shenmue II?). The fact that they they sunk so much collateral into that shit shows you how much of a total joke Sega are as a company (and Yu Suzuki is as a producer). What a complete mess.

Anyway - that devolved into a bit of a random rant.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
First this Sega Fes 2018 News, then their Mini... Sega does what Nintendon't seems like Ages ago. Next time maybe a Service Games cardboard origami.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
-Not really excited about the Shenmue remasters to be honest.
-At this point, the Mega Drive Mini has an uphill battle because of AtGames' shit-tacular reputation. It's 2018, the emulation for MD/Genesis games should be fucking spot-on at this point, and they have yet to accomplish this. No thanks.
-I was not at all interested about the Sega Ages collection. I mean, how many Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection-style compilations do we really need? That being said, it's being done by M2, so you know the quality of the emulation and all the perks will be very high quality. Will probably take a chance on this one.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
Nice that Sega remains true to their old ways. Announcing a system that will ship this year with no release date, no games.. I bet that Sega will just suddenly starts shipping the Genesis Mini to stores without no advertisement or it will have EA game like NHL with out their approvement and Sega will discontinue the system. Only people that will have it are some youtubers and some scalpers that found it in one store that did not get Sega's message...

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
yeah with AtGames - it's DOA before it ever had a chance. How idiotic

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
And to think some people were hoping for Virtua Fighter 6 news. Haha. I couldn't give a shit about Sega Ages releases. As for the mini, please ... another emu-box powered by AtGames' shitty solutions. When the first MD Mini news started coming out, I was hoping, against all odds, for something similar to Super NT. A proper clone developed by Sega, with a working cartridge slot. Something real fans could get behind. Super NT sold well enough, and Sega could probably cut the production costs considerably. But no. It's just another useless shitbox, which will eventually be hacked to run roms, and at that point, you might just as well buy a Pi.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Who's gonna buy this shit? Just buy a fucking everdrive.

Why do people make this shit so fucking complicated?

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Never actually got to play Shenmue 2. I actually did end up buying a European copy, but haven't gotten around to playing it. At least I will be able to play it before the release of Shenmue 3.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Never actually got to play Shenmue 2. I actually did end up buying a European copy, but haven't gotten around to playing it. At least I will be able to play it before the release of Shenmue 3.

You should be able to complete it during the next three years or so, which is probably half of the time it will take to actually complete Shenmue 3. In other words, I'm not holding my breath, and at this moment, the game is not looking too hot. I mean, damn ... 1 and 2 had semi-realistic, but still cartoony characters, while the third game clearly doesn't have the budget to up the gfx game, but at the same time, they're trying to make it look better than the first two titles. It's a hot mess.

LadyVamp

Camel Slug
I am so goddamn pumped for Shenmue 1 and 2. I still have them for my Dreamcast, which I will never throw away. Shenmue 2 was amazing, the whole building part, yesssssss.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Bump.

I've got the Shenmue 1 & 2 HD collection on Xbox One. I am really enjoying replaying the first one (I'm up to the fork lift racing, so pretty near the end). But it is clear that this port is a patch or two off perfect.

Quite often (10% to 20%) of the time - you can't see the cutscenes only hear them. The camera get's stuck off view and doesn't recentre. I read a fix is to force the game into 4:3 instead of 16:9 - but it didn't work for me. This glitch apparently effects all versions PS4/PC/Xbone.

Once I was listening to music on the tape player when the game changed from day to night - the game got stuck and I could not escape the tape playing menu. This was a pain in the arse. Eventually the game reset me back home when it got very late but that was a whole evening of harrassling sailors, playing Hang On or feeding a kitten I missed out on. Now my housekeeper bitches at me for staying out so late. FML.

Since then I've learnt to save often - this port doesn't feel as robust as the Dreamcast original.

Last broken thing - sometimes (and not always) the sound goes off key, sounds like an emulation glitch. Usually re-entering a room fixes it. Most noticable when playing the old skool arcade games.

I'd still say pick this up if you are a fan or missed the games first time around, but unless it gets patched - it's inferior to the Dreamcast original.

I've not played Shenmue 2 yet, but I expect it's had the same half arsed bug testing treatment.

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Looks like sega kicked out atgames on the md-mini !?

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Looks like sega kicked out atgames on the md-mini !?

Despite not being interested at all in the Mini, I'm happy to see AtGames finally get what they deserve: The boot from SEGA. Should have happened after they crapped out their first failed abortion of a Mega Drive clone, though.