Odd 161 in 1 issue

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I recently went through the cab and tested grounds and voltages in the low end of the board, it’s getting 5.2 all the way. The PSU did have bulging caps (1990 production date) so I replaced it. So the PSU is solid. I wish I had another 161 cart to test it against, I may just get another to rule it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Update: So I have also been T/S another odd issue on this cab, which was the monitor would have random "wipes" of a blue screen or blue bars appear.

A kind local operator hooked me up with another identical monitor. Running the new monitor on a bench next to the cab. 2 hours of continuous testing and so far, no issues.

And I mean, no issues, as in no "wipes" and no crashing at all! There are several titles that consistently crash every time and I have selected them several times and they still are running without issue. So far, this might be a "2 birds" issue.

Is it possible some kind of Tube short was the cause of both issues? is it possible to repair?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I am not sure, I guess if the monitor could have been giving off some interference that was affecting the NeoGeo.

Raz

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Another night of testing; this time I peddled my exercise bike in front of the cab for 40 minutes and ran the cab for another hour after. The monitor issue appears to have been solved by the tube swap (no flashing / lines at all), but the system does still crash. I want to say it's a lot less frequent though. Several titles that crash a lot came and went on the attract mode (kizuna, captain tomaday), while others (stakes winner 2) crashed.

I did the "neck tap" with the tube down on the bad tube so I will probably run the same test with the questionable tube outsize the cab tonight.

Last edited:

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
So to update: I bought another (3rd) banana cart and it still crashes with the pin jump fix. Still the same titles, different cart. Sometimes it will run for hours, sometimes it will start crashing immediately. Generally I can always make the attract more crash for these titles:

Kizuna encounter
Metal slug 2
Stakes winner 1

They seem to be more stable in regular than pick n mix.

It’s possible my mv-1f has an issue, but a legit Samsho2 cart runs flawlessly. I don’t have others to test.

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
This is why PICKnMIX is not officially supported, the 161in1 carts are not exactly 100% stable.

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
For posterity, I eventually got a MV-4 and the pick-n-mix mode works perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Any find any odd issues with MV-1FZ and the cart? It's odd, it seems like Pick and Mix seems to be less stable than booting the cart without that mode enabled. Sometime the cart will cycle through the attract modes without issues, lately it fails in titles that usually were no problems (Metal Slug2). I was considering getting another cart from a more reputable dealer, but i'm wondering if the 1FZ is the issue?

Yes I have an MV1FZS and I can confirm all the same issues with the SamSho games, and the pick n mix mode.