Odd 161 in 1 issue

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hi,

So I recently sourced a MV-1FZ board and a 161 cart. I previously had a MV-1 with a 161 cart and had no issues. Just vanilla bios for now.

The 1FZ board seems to be in great shape, it was stored in a box on a shelf and came to me very clean and tidy. No battery issues, in fact the board seems to be keeping the date/time settings without issue.

The main problem is that a couple of different games like Sam Showdown 1&2 will work briefly and then glitch and or reboot after a few seconds or minutes of operation.

Other games like Metal Slug(s) and Sam Show 4&5 run without issues. I left both running for a couple of hours to test.

I searched around and found ideas like cleaning the contacts, etc. But can anyone give me a direction to troubleshoot this? Here's a quick video of what i'm talking about:

https://youtu.be/2Y3ZzcYcTN8

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
No takers? Wondering if there’s an issue with the MV-1FZ board and the multicart...

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Those bootleg carts often have issues.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
What madman stated is correct. I would try clearing your backup ram and checking the voltages at the jamma connector. It should read around 5.0-5.10 volts.

A good cleaning on the 161 in 1 would be good. I recommend a white art eraser/some deoxit. Make sure your cart slot is clean as well.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Yea, what madman said. These carts are quite touchy. The one I have for example works without issue in the AES (via converter) but on my MV-1FT it is alot more tempremental. Sometimes there is no problem at all, other times it can be a little touchy with a few games (the kofs and samshos).

Raz

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Yeah, I did the clear and clean. I also bought another and it had. The same issues.

My previous board (mv-1f) had no issues, I ’m wondering if the it’s something with the mv-1fz?

I was planning to add a unibios when the new version comes out, I wonder if that would help.....

Also I got a legit SamSho2 and it works fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Suplex

n00b
Similar issue but with an MV-1B (Asia S3) and 138 in 1 as well as proper cart so if this should go into a separate thread can make one.
Have not tested all the games on the 138 but MS2, MS2+ and Neo Drift Out all perform the same crash. MS2 cart crashes the same as 138 MS2.

It usually gets a bit further along than the video shows. Up to the first hostages. Had it running for a couple cycles before recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUi5G1LGiiM&feature=youtu.be

Samurai Shodown 2 completely plays like shit on my 161-1 in my MVS-2 and I've heard others say the same. SamSho 1 has issues with certain playable characters and other glitches.

I also encountered a weird bug with the sound.. I had disabled demo sounds on one game and it completely disabled ALL sounds in Neo Mr. Do. The cart is still worth the $ for the games that do play OK though in my opinion.

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Update: I bought a legit SamSho2 and it runs for hours without issue. My 161 cart sometimes runs great in Unibios 4.0, but often many titles crash in the attract mode. I'm pretty sure that I have a faulty 161-1 cart, but its too late to return. I guess the next step is to source another from a more reputable vendor.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Word of wisdom:

If you're troubleshooting getting a multicart in a given Neo system, 99% of the time it's the cart, even if it works fine in other systems. They're pretty shitty.

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Any find any odd issues with MV-1FZ and the cart? It's odd, it seems like Pick and Mix seems to be less stable than booting the cart without that mode enabled. Sometime the cart will cycle through the attract modes without issues, lately it fails in titles that usually were no problems (Metal Slug2). I was considering getting another cart from a more reputable dealer, but i'm wondering if the 1FZ is the issue?

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
If you have a rev2 cart you should try this fix

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?275354-161-in-1-version-2-stability-fix

The symptom you are having is exactly what we were seeing before the fix. The issues doesn't effect all mvs motherboard types. In testing MV4F and MV4FT2 had the crash/watchdog reboot, while MV2/MV4/MV6 had no issues. I did not test to see if any 1slot boards had the issue. However, it wouldnt surprise me if the issue happens to all "F" mvs motherboards.

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
If you have a rev2 cart you should try this fix

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?275354-161-in-1-version-2-stability-fix

The symptom you are having is exactly what we were seeing before the fix. The issues doesn't effect all mvs motherboard types. In testing MV4F and MV4FT2 had the crash/watchdog reboot, while MV2/MV4/MV6 had no issues. I did not test to see if any 1slot boards had the issue. However, it wouldnt surprise me if the issue happens to all "F" mvs motherboards.

Thank you! I do have a rev 2 board. I'll give this a go and report back

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
So I jumped the pins and let it run for a couple of hours last night. It did crash out on MS2 one time, but for the most part it ran much better in Pick n' mix mode. I'm pretty happy because this was a killer feature for me and I was pretty disappointed when it looked like it wasn't working. I'll update again when I test more later

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
So after more testing, I find that the cart is still very unstable. I'll probably source another one at some point to see if it just a crappy cart.

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I noticed that titles that crash consistently in pick-n-mix run fine from the regular multi menu. JIC anyone had more ideas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Can you post pictures of a crash screen and let me know the game and if it was just in attract mode or playing.

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hi Raz,

So here is a screen I took of Metal Slug 2's (i think) attract mode when loaded from Pick-n-mix; I can take some more later.

Generally there are several titles that consistently crash when they come up in Pick-n-mix, like Kizuna Encounter, MS2, SS2.

Further, it seems less stable when booting a game from Pick-n-mix. For example I started in PNM mode and loaded Neo Turf masters. I made it to the 3rd hole and it crashed. So I rebooted into the regular menu and was able to go all 18 holes without issue.

Another example for Kizuna Encounter, it crashes all the time in PNM, but If I load it from the regular menu, it runs for 40 minutes in attract without an issue.

It's also noteworthy that sometimes the game can make it through the attract mode from PNM without issue, but more often than not it crashes.

I can capture more crash pics if it helps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 8.32.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 8.32.44 AM.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Try this.... First play a game on the 161in1 in normal mode (not picknmix) for maybe 30 minutes. Thenpower off and on and enable PICKnMIX and see if its better then?

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Try this.... First play a game on the 161in1 in normal mode (not picknmix) for maybe 30 minutes. Thenpower off and on and enable PICKnMIX and see if its better then?

So I ran Kizuna Encounter in attract for about 20 minutes in regular mode. It crashed and I restarted it in the same mode. After about an hour of running I restarted in PNM mode and it seemed to be better, I selected it several times and I played it for about 15 minutes with no crashing. After "game over" i switched over to samsho 1 and it crashed. I attached the pics of the crash screen from both aforementioned crashes.
cdc6050acf3ee4b61592ba834a05ddb8.jpg
5eacf16c5cc7e22bcf8da14bec979114.jpg

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Not sure whats happening there but if you had a crash in regular mode also it seems to point to either the cart or the MVS. Thinking outside the box, try having looking at the crystal on the MVS PCB and see if its strap is correctly grounding the crystal case (soldered to it). I know gadgetuk had an issue on a mv-1fz with a neosd in this area because the crystal case was not grounded.

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
try having looking at the crystal on the MVS PCB and see if its strap is correctly grounding the crystal case (soldered to it)

So I see a crystal in the backup area which is grounded (lower right) The other possibility is the upper left, but it’s a different type.
61f85663a6099db48a3b6c4d8df1e085.jpg

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I'm not sure what the issue is then, maybe its a PSU voltage issue or a v2 incompatability with the MV-1FZ?

Raz

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
You can still ground the can of that crystal (24Mhz one) by scratching the can, solder a wire with flux and solder, and connect the wire to the ground area to the right hand side of it. I doubt that's your issue, but it is worth ruling it out. I wonder about caps and the PSU.