Modding a Sega Saturn Action Replay cart?!

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I saw some dude on craigslist selling modded Action Replay carts - claiming they allow you to play CDR's? I googled and couldn't find any real instructions on this. I know someone here knows about this and can enlighten me as I want to do this. :cool:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
It's called Psuedo Saturn.

It takes software to flash the cart, either by swap trick or modded Saturn to read the CD-R.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You don't need to do the swap trick once you have a Psuedo Saturn cart made, but the way you flash the cart to begin with is to use a CDR so you either need to use a friend's modded system to create the cart or you need to do the swap disc trick on an unmodded system.

Once the cart is made you just turn on the system, it boots to the Psuedo Saturn menu and you press a button to load the disc. Sometimes you have to try a few times but it will eventually load. It's not quite as nice as a real modchip but it gets the job done.

Last edited:

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
We talked about this a bit here.

Its a pretty painless process to get up and running and once it is going, it is great.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
You will lose the game save option from the 4 in 1 by doing the pseudo saturn mod, but the games that require the extra ram will be unaffected, the disc swap can be tricky to get right.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Sell that shit, buy a Rhea. Also look for more Saturn games from me in the Market shortly. Buy those.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Sell that shit, buy a Rhea. Also look for more Saturn games from me in the Market shortly. Buy those.

Now a days that's like winning the lottery. The idiot guy releases very few every few months and does them at like 2-5am US time and they sell out within seconds/minutes.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Now a days that's like winning the lottery. The idiot guy releases very few every few months and does them at like 2-5am US time and they sell out within seconds/minutes.

And then makes SD solutions for things only 4 people in the world own. Who thought a SD solution would be a good idea? Someone is gonna come around and mass produce them and make his kit worthless. Same with the GDEmu.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
And then makes SD solutions for things only 4 people in the world own. Who thought a SD solution would be a good idea? Someone is gonna come around and mass produce them and make his kit worthless. Same with the GDEmu.

I hope so but his shit has been around for years now with radio silence. :(

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Maybe if the RGB nerds could calm down for a minute, a certain group of people could produce a better product.

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object

Must be a good time to sell

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
There’s always the old mod chip approach, I prefer it actually. Rhea means I either can’t play the discs of games I own or I have to keep two Saturns, one with and one without. Pseudo (and action replays) interrupts the boot process and makes it longer to start games.

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Gosex helped me out flashing my AR, works like a charm.

J-P

NEST Puppet
There's a French dev who lives in Japan and makes pseudo-saturn carts with SD-functionality (so you can back-up saves to SD).

I prefer using the mod-chip approach though (although I do have a flashed AR which I use on my stock JP saturn). The main reason to go mod-chip is for games that use a LOT of system memory. As you can't use your memory card with CDR's (without a mod-chip) and you run out of memory damn quick.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Yep, it's the same guy. Seems the project is coming along nicely.

Indeed. I'm really hoping the "Satiator" makes it to real product phase. Fucking love the Saturn, and I love getting boners, so this is my kind of product.

TopTier.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Wow that device looks very cool! I hope he's successful enough with his project to start manufacturing. Go Aussie!

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I had one of those all in one Action Replays, but it bricked itself. Instead of bothering with the swap disc trick to try and unbrick it/reflash it... I installed a mod chip and a region free bios for my Saturn. It definitely beats the Action Replay method for ease of use as games will just boot right up.