after 25+ years, the Simpsons are getting shit for Apu speaking with an accent and...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
"Well, Summer, maybe people that create things aren't concerned with your delicate sensibilities, you know?

Maybe the species that communicate with each other through the filter of your comfort are less evolved than the ones that just communicate!

Maybe your problems are your own to deal with, and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one-way ticket to extinction!"

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I can’t believe it took this long for the pc police to hone in on apu, or the myriad of other stereotypes on the show. Stereotypes are funny. It’s not a crime.

Even white people have stereotypes. My Latino friends love to make fun of my thanksgivings as a kid, where we brought out the fine China, tablecloths and all that. They died laughing when I explained what a gravy boat is. Lighten up, snowflakes.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I think it's very evident that The Simpsons have long outstayed their welcome. The genius of it was that it was a simple take on a middle America populace. Very late 80s-early 90s in scope, was there amongst other toons that dealt with a portrayal of American culture (Beavis & Butthead, Ren & Stimpy, later Daria, King of the Hill, South Park). It all got twisted up and became a hollow husk somewhere along the line. But the accent and stuff like that was meaningful enough back then. It was a 90s thing.
So kill the show and have something representative of the current era. Which will be shit, but anyway.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
It reminds me of the stupid Halloween outrage where people were accusing parents of cultural appropriation for their children's costumes. The suggestion was that if you're white, you should only dress as characters from your own race and gender.

And fat people should only dress up as fat characters.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I actually watched that episode last Sunday. Which is weird, since I really don't watch new episodes anymore. For a while, the show was kinda hit-or-miss, but I really enjoyed the good episodes. Now days, the show seems to only have a few episodes a season worth watching, so I pretty much gave up. Kinda a shame, I used to LOVE the show. Shit, the band I used to be in was named after a Simpsons reference. It's probably about time that the show goes away. It's gone on long enough. The longer they try to keep it going, the more they will continue to ruin the legacy of the show. Maybe a new movie to wrap it up and then be done, but that would probably get fucked up too.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I actually watched that episode last Sunday. Which is weird, since I really don't watch new episodes anymore. For a while, the show was kinda hit-or-miss, but I really enjoyed the good episodes. Now days, the show seems to only have a few episodes a season worth watching, so I pretty much gave up. Kinda a shame, I used to LOVE the show. Shit, the band I used to be in was named after a Simpsons reference. It's probably about time that the show goes away. It's gone on long enough. The longer they try to keep it going, the more they will continue to ruin the legacy of the show. Maybe a new movie to wrap it up and then be done, but that would probably get fucked up too.

You were in Fallout Boy?

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Seems like SJW strike again :oh_no: Still the simpsons,hasn't been relevant in a long time.I more amused it took so long for people to complain over apu character.Sure it's a stereotype but that's nothing new.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
this is why we can't have nice things.
it starts with the spoken word, and ends in gulags.
frankly, i'm surprised the show wasn't shitcanned on account of the crybabies, they seem to have infiltrated almost all facets of media and gvt.
SJW's are a threat to all that's good and fun, all they touch turns to shit.
never back down, and NEVER apologise.
stay strong and they will move on.
sort of like ignore lists, can't react to what isn't seen.
and don't sweat it!
the ones that cry the loudest have the least invested in the show, producers are NOT fazed. :p
THANK YOU! COME AGAIN!

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
frankly, i'm surprised the show wasn't shitcanned on account of the crybabies, they seem to have infiltrated almost all facets of media and gvt.
and don't sweat it!
the ones that cry the loudest have the least invested in the show, producers are NOT fazed. :p
THANK YOU! COME AGAIN!

Says the guy who blocks people on here, talk about being a whiny baby. Talking about SJWs while you can't take some heat. Fuck off.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
yes!
says that guy, no need for a lazy quote on my end.
perhaps you should look in the mirror panda.
you and a bunch of others were in chat talking shit about blocking me.
so i figured when in rome and that. (not liking that one of us followed through on the rhetoric?)
i'm tired of your shit, and don't have time to engage with you any further.
also, can we please remain on subject.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
yes!
says that guy, no need for a lazy quote on my end.
perhaps you should look in the mirror panda.
you and a bunch of others were in chat talking shit about blocking me.
so i figured when in rome and that. (not liking that one of us followed through on the rhetoric?)
i'm tired of your shit, and don't have time to engage with you any further.
also, can we please remain on subject.

Oh so now you're looking at my posts huh? Keep blocking me man. You're drivel that spews out of your mouth that no one understands is laughable at best. Oxymoron at it's finest.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
chatbox block as well you know.
plus, the admission above shows your pettiness from the getgo..
now that's cleared up, talk to yourself for all i care. :(

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Shut the fuck up.

+1

GIIIITT OUT!

giphy.gif

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I can understand the frustrations a minority must feel when they have little-to-no representation in media, and when there is representation it's not ideal; this is why Black Panther was a huge deal for black people.

https://www.npr.org/sections/monkey...he-simpsons-to-the-problem-with-apu-drop-dead

I don't like the tone of that article. But I can get Indian-Americans not liking Apu because mouthbreathers equate Apu with every Indian-American and think they're soooo funny when they say 'thank you come again' in the voice, and so the people come to hate Apu because it comes back to that fictional character. I can get that. It sucks.

That said, should Apu be changed or dropped? Well, the show itself has long outlived its welcome (I watched an episode that came out two weeks ago - it was another retelling of Homer and Marge's young marriage and how Bart came along...how many times has that idea been regurgitated now?). But no, Apu shouldn't change. I think the writers handled the situation nicely.

In some ways I feel bad for people who emigrate to America for a better life, who think there's no wrong in America and that everyone makes a lot of money. I've seen this thinking with so many people outside America. They never consider how culturally they'll be the butt of a joke, that they'll always be 'that Indian/Asian/whatever guy'. Stereotypical characters on a show is just something to deal with.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I can understand the frustrations a minority must feel when they have little-to-no representation in media, and when there is representation it's not ideal; this is why Black Panther was a huge deal for black people.

https://www.npr.org/sections/monkey...he-simpsons-to-the-problem-with-apu-drop-dead

I don't like the tone of that article. But I can get Indian-Americans not liking Apu because mouthbreathers equate Apu with every Indian-American and think they're soooo funny when they say 'thank you come again' in the voice, and so the people come to hate Apu because it comes back to that fictional character. I can get that. It sucks.

That said, should Apu be changed or dropped? Well, the show itself has long outlived its welcome (I watched an episode that came out two weeks ago - it was another retelling of Homer and Marge's young marriage and how Bart came along...how many times has that idea been regurgitated now?). But no, Apu shouldn't change. I think the writers handled the situation nicely.

In some ways I feel bad for people who emigrate to America for a better life, who think there's no wrong in America and that everyone makes a lot of money. I've seen this thinking with so many people outside America. They never consider how culturally they'll be the butt of a joke, that they'll always be 'that Indian/Asian/whatever guy'. Stereotypical characters on a show is just something to deal with.

Back in 1989, most Indians in the US were either FOB or first generation. Now they are second generation and I get that they don’t want to feel like outsiders. They are about as American as anyone here.

But most of the time, good dudes don’t get harrassed. Saying “thank you come again” in Hank Azaria’s accent shouldn’t trigger an Indian. As far as insults go, the Indian people are in good position to flip that back and say “nice Hank Azaria impression.” And if someone feels harrassed, maybe they should ask the person why. Either they will get a genuine answer or they will make the harrasser squirm trying to patch logical fragments together like melted LEGO blocks. Either way, if Apu is the biggest trigger for Indians, then they have it really damn good.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
apu, pakistan, designated shitting streets, tech support scams... indians got it hard.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
and don't sweat it!
THANK YOU! COME AGAIN!

gettyimages-830617844_master1.jpg

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Back in 1989, most Indians in the US were either FOB or first generation. Now they are second generation and I get that they don’t want to feel like outsiders. They are about as American as anyone here.

But most of the time, good dudes don’t get harrassed. Saying “thank you come again” in Hank Azaria’s accent shouldn’t trigger an Indian. As far as insults go, the Indian people are in good position to flip that back and say “nice Hank Azaria impression.” And if someone feels harrassed, maybe they should ask the person why. Either they will get a genuine answer or they will make the harrasser squirm trying to patch logical fragments together like melted LEGO blocks. Either way, if Apu is the biggest trigger for Indians, then they have it really damn good.

Compared to how bad they have had it historically in the UK I think they are probably very comfortable in the USofA

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member

The only East Indians we see in the US are from wealthy families that come here. They only shop at night, they never use Food Stamps or WIC, and they buy produce mainly.