after 25+ years, the Simpsons are getting shit for Apu speaking with an accent and...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
So it's been over 25 years that the Simpsons have aired with Apu being one of the most well liked characters. Now there are people on social media trying to force change on the Simpsons.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...nse-to-apu-racism-row-criticised-as-toothless

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/10/...litically-incorrect-stereotype-hari-kondabolu

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...mpsons-apu-stereotype-racism-south-asian-fans

and others.

I propose a better way to respond to the allegations that Apu has rendered Indians butthurt because feelings.

Have an episode where Apu speaks without an accept. He will tell Lisa that he took speech classes and worked to get past his accent.

Have another Indian character appear still speaking with an accent, and let him, and the poor victims who feel marginalized by Apu, that some Indians have an accent, and they don't care because they are proud of their culture and they do just fine with it. There are worse accents by far.

That's all. I don't really care about Apu, and slow night. Don't want to do taxes.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
at5K109Fi0_JXNBeKf78gdrNBjQ=.gif

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Let's just ban comedy and burn off everyone's genitals. Problem solved.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
you know the latin american dubbed Simpsons is hugely popular across the continent and the dub is brilliant, though it's a very different comedy which emerges, completely different but very distinctive, 100% nailed it (particularly Simpsons golden era).
however
and it bothers me a great deal being as bilingual and bicultural as I am
they invented an Indian accent for Abu to speak. it's completely ridiculous, they put s' at the end of words that don't have them for no reason. the reason was that there was no point of reference as Indians don't live in large quantities in spanish speaking countries.
some characters don't have any distinctive accents such as Willie (speaks like all the rest)
or something made up but it kind of works (e.g. Cletus).

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
i thought the Simpsons ended a long time ago.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Manjula is so hot. I bet she's a real slut.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Kinda like what wasabi said. Have him speak with a british accent and explain that he only talks that way because that's what the dumb troglodytes of Springfield expect of him.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
i don't give a shit about this at all

the Simpsons stopped being funny years and years ago

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
This show stopped being relevant a very long time ago. I have no idea why it's still being made.

Fuck those snowflakes that want to change Apu. You know they are laughing secretly but don't want to admit it.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Apu is a stereotype and caricature.

But so is Homer. So is Lisa. So is Abe. So is Comic Book Guy. So is every character on the show.

Non-issue IMO.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Christ, it's not like Apu is the fucking brown-face "Indian" from Short Circuit 2.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
nobody let these people watch A Christmas Story

fa ra ra ra ra
ra ra ra ra

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Let it be known that when you come to America you better speak American, get rid of that indian, chinese, japanese, smelly knees what are these accents or you're offending people!! :mad:

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Who's next, Reimier Wolfcastle, Bumblebee Man, Groundskeeper Willy...for fucks sake.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
None of these people complaining were even born yet when the show actually was good.

The Magic Sparkle box is in the opening credits, they don't know what that's about.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Are you still a US citizen? Because if you are you be fucked.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
It reminds me of the stupid Halloween outrage where people were accusing parents of cultural appropriation for their children's costumes. The suggestion was that if you're white, you should only dress as characters from your own race and gender. This Halloween, dress as yourself because everything else is racially insensitive. If you're an ethnic minority you can wear any costume because power, oppression, privilege blah blah blah.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Who's next, Reimier Wolfcastle, Bumblebee Man, Groundskeeper Willy...for fucks sake.

The suggestion was that if you're white, you should only dress as characters from your own race and gender.

Yeah, once we'll take that path, you can kiss any sense good bye, be it that of humor, creativity or context. My humble government is probably anxious already to ban Steinbeck's/Hitchcock's most accurate depiction of us Germans in "Lifeboat" -- out of political correctness, of course. It hurts our feelings, indeed.

Apu will loose his accent, Hindi cinema the term Bollywood and The Itchy & Scratchy Show its violence. I can live with that, but what a dull life it'll be. Yet, maybe dull is the new black? Wait, let's whitewash this question again.

P.S.

Sometimes the only way to feel good is to make someone feel bad and I'm tired of making people feel good.

Dear Homer, this apparently works both ways.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Was kind of stupid of them to even respond. That documentary came and went and only the diehard PC police even noticed it. Now they've brought it back in to the spotlight and Twitter and the blogosphere are just going to pound them on it.

I love the one where they're complaining that a white guy plays him like that somehow makes the character Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's and completely ignores how voice acting works.

Any way, this whole thing is a sad reminder that The Simpsons should've ended 15 years ago and that outrage culture is a narcissistic race to the bottom that can only end with the death of comedy, context and subtlety.