Razion 1cc Big Tymer Club

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Razion is one of the best NG shmups but not many people own or play it. This is a goddamn travesty. I spent a couple of days learning it and finally got the 1cc tonight. Yeah, it's "Novice mode" but it's actually pretty challenging.

Who else has 1cc'd Razion?

razion2 (Small).JPG

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Game looks rad.

There's a couple on eBay for over a $1000 :(

Hopefully NGDEV will do a reprint on this as well.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Very nice work bro, good to see someone actually playing & beating NG: DEV games.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Very nice work bro, good to see someone actually playing & beating NG: DEV games.

Thanks man!

OK, I think it is now official: I am the greatest Razion player OF ALL TIME! :keke:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

Another member was Mendel I think, he beat up Gunlord pretty good ;).

Anyway, congrats wyo! But tell us something more about your one credit clear, which boss was the toughest, which stage did you enjoy most, what was the hardest part in which stage etc. etc. Maybe I'll bite and go for it, too.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
They did already last year. That's how I got mine.

Hmm, but do you mean MVS or AES? I recently asked them about an AES reprint on Facebook and they said maybe next year.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Definitely nice work. Gotta play my MVS more, I've been lately playing the original xbox NFS games. Like them a lot.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Another member was Mendel I think, he beat up Gunlord pretty good ;).

Anyway, congrats wyo! But tell us something more about your one credit clear, which boss was the toughest, which stage did you enjoy most, what was the hardest part in which stage etc. etc. Maybe I'll bite and go for it, too.

Thanks, O-C! Still doing a run or two most days. I started playing on Normal but decided to switch back to Novice and focus on score instead. Had almost 40 million by stage 5 today but the power cut out due to a thunderstorm :( The stage 4 and 6 (final) bosses are the most challenging. The stage 3 mid-boss is tricky as well. If you can get past stage 4 without dying, 1CC chance is very good unless you make a series of major errors.

The first stage is an audio-visual treat but not too tough even on Maniac mode. The fun really kicks in on 4 and 5. I enjoy learning the patterns and now I've got them pretty much down I'm trying to maximize score by using the beam weapon to freeze bonuses, which grow in size the more you have on the screen. So rather than collect them as fast as possible, it's best to build up large quantities but you need to freeze or collect them before they expire, resetting the size to small.

There are no 1ups so dying is more of a concern than usual. The beam weapon recharges quite quickly though. Most deaths are because you weren't quick enough with the beam or you used it at the wrong time and it's still charging.

The more I play Razion, the more I like it. The presentation is excellent and the challenge is sufficient to make it fun but not frustrating. Normal mode is no joke from 3 onwards. I can't get past 4. TBH, I prefer to try to perfect easier shmups than get stuck on tougher ones. I don't have the patience to deal with Pulstar, for example. Anyway, I could ramble more nonsense but hopefully that's enough to motivate you or other good shmup players to try it. If KP or anyone else can clear Normal in 1 day I'll be very impressed :D

EDIT: Almost forgot a useful tip. There are 3 different main weapon firing buttons that all operate differently. Hold A for autofire with slower ship speed. B is beam weapon (bomb). You can hit C repeatedly to shoot the main weapons and move faster. But by far the best way to play IMO is hold D to autofire AND maintain full ship speed. Throughout the entire game I rest the side of my hand on D and hover a finger over B to fire the beam.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Anyway, I could ramble more nonsense but hopefully that's enough to motivate you or other good shmup players to try it.

Splendid review, wyo! It sure peaked my appetite for trying Razion myself.

Learning the patterns is big in Last Hope, too. You have to learn them for each stage partition, though, bosses included. The scoring mechanic you described, reminds me remotely of Harmful Park (PS1). Instead of shooting your popcorn as fast as possible, you actually have to let them fill up the screen and take them down all at once, preferably with the ice cream maker. The risk/benefit ratio is for you to set.

Charging the beam in a nice rhythm is what Viewpoint is all about. Glad to hear this feature is so essential in Razion, too. The different shooting options with their dedicated buttons seem more danmaku stuff -- nice spice up, though. Hehe, I wish it was the end of the week already ;).

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Nice work Nick, damn son you getting it figured out. After you 1cc Normal are you going to try and do Maniac? I love going for 1cc's but just on normal settings on games I don't have the patience anymore like i use to for hard settings. I guess its old age setting in.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I remember when this game got teased, I loved the trailer and the music.

Alas, I don't own it, one day maybe. It looks like a lot of fun.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
NEW WORLD RECORD! (lulz)

I've pretty much figured out the scoring mechanics now so I did another run last week. Had a really good game going but there was a thunderstorm and the power cut off near the end. Tried again today and beat the game again with a much better score. Also discovered you get an extend at 40 million points, but I didn't need it.

DSC02523.JPG

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
Good work ! I'd love to get a copy someday. I just got Fast Striker this weekend, I'll try to 1CC that while waiting to find one :)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Here's my entry:

Raz-oc-01.jpg

Raz-oc-05.jpg

Some afterthoughts...

-- you can get, as wyo discovered, an extend after each 40 million points you gain (I lost one life during this run and remained with 3 extends at the end)

-- grasping the scoring system is essential for survival, because collecting point-cubes, especially if they have reached their biggest size, fills up your charge shot meter extremely fast

-- the charge shot destroys enemy bullets, thus making it much easier to survive

-- the best shooting-option is, as wyo pointed out, the "D" button (faster speed+power shot), additionally you can switch to "A" if you need to dodge between tight bullet patterns, where a slower speed comes in handy (I can't imagine what the "C" shot is for)

-- for me, the best position was always to stay as far left of the screen, as possible

-- flying far left lets you freeze the point-cubes, before you collect them, this way all the next cubes appear in their biggest size already

-- you have to make sure, that every cube is frozen (green), because once an unfrozen cube (yellow) expires, all other cubes, frozen or not, expire with him

-- the best strategy is to remain left and shoot the enemies with your charged shot in such a way, that you create a trace of cubes on the upper part of the screen and on the lower part

-- then you can for example use this pattern: charge shot low, go up, collect the cubes you have there, charge shot again, go down, collect cubes you left here and so on

-- this way you'll create a steady supply of cubes, can quickly use your charge shot and score big time!

This expresses exactly my feelings for Razion:

The more I play Razion, the more I like it. The presentation is excellent and the challenge is sufficient to make it fun but not frustrating.

Big thanks to wyo, without his thread & enthusiasm, I wouldn't even bother. Now I think, these two weeks were well spent and though the first was very tough and frustrating, the second was all the more rewarding.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Hey OC! Thanks for joining me in the exclusive Razion 1cc club. You are the new World Champion! :D

Some great tips as well. It took me a while to figure out why cubes were disappearing, even when frozen.

Glad you enjoyed it. I really do think if more people put some time into Razion they will feel rewarded :)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It took me a while to figure out why cubes were disappearing, even when frozen.

Oh man, same here. It's only good no one knows how long it took me to realize that surroundings won't kill you. I hope you'll open up another Big Tymer Club soon ;).

chacha

n00b
Hello guys.

I'm trying actually to beat this beautiful and so difficult game.

I can reach the 4th stage with one life, but after...

I have just understood the scoring-system with cubes.

Have a nice day :) .

chacha

n00b
My new record :

1548427572-2019-razion-03.jpg

48 083 880
stage 4 (boss 4)
normal