NHL/NBA playoffs 2018 thread

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Colangelo is gone. 76ers' investigation found that his wife ran all the accounts, but he agreed that it would be problematic to try to stay. Brett Brown is acting GM, because having guys coach and GM always works so well.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
As a Caps fan, I'm not going to say shit until the cup is hoisted over someone's head but Vegas looks like that one Holtby save crushed their spirit.

It could be pandemonium in DC.

Like more pandemonium than that time a bunch of LGBT kids threw a flash mob party on Mike Pence’s lawn.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Colangelo is gone. 76ers' investigation found that his wife ran all the accounts, but he agreed that it would be problematic to try to stay. Brett Brown is acting GM, because having guys coach and GM always works so well.
Stan Van Gundy and Doc Rivers worked out fantabulously.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Congrats to Washington in winning their first Stanley Cup in their 44 year history :buttrock:

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
Congrats to Washington in winning their first Stanley Cup in their 44 year history :buttrock:

Congrats to the Capitals as well. What a playoff performance! I thought they were in trouble after losing the first 2 home games in OT but came back to win 4 straight against the Blue Jackets in the opening round. The Caps then fought off their nemesis Penguins in 2nd round. In the Conference Final and down 3-2 in the series, shut out the Lightenings in the last 2 games. Even though the Caps played more games than the Golden Knights and started the series on the road, they were able to wrap up the series in 5 games. Very impressive and a well deserved Stanley Cup winner!

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Congrats to the Capitals as well. What a playoff performance! I thought they were in trouble after losing the first 2 home games in OT but came back to win 4 straight against the Blue Jackets in the opening round. The Caps then fought off their nemesis Penguins in 2nd round. In the Conference Final and down 3-2 in the series, shut out the Lightenings in the last 2 games. Even though the Caps played more games than the Golden Knights and started the series on the road, they were able to wrap up the series in 5 games. Very impressive and a well deserved Stanley Cup winner!

Definitely a year I'll never forget. Hats off to both teams. Nobody wanted to believe in the caps, but this was their year.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
DC was pretty wild last night. The crowdsize around the Capital One Arena, where people watched the jumbotron on the outside wall, looked bigger than Time Square NYE. Definitely more than the Trump inauguration. Hopefully these guys all get invited to visit the American president in Moscow.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
I'm a dummy and couldn't even enjoy the game. I got too hammered too early and only remember Ovi's goal.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Still kind of in shock. DC sports have been shit for so long that I had completely forgotten what winning/not choking felt like.

Super happy for Ovi. Dude played like a man possessed the entire postseason and fucking deserves this. Guy scores like a machine and has never been afraid to take a hit or dish one out.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Three pointers not falling, Cavs just aren’t even competitive in this one.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
A little late to this, but needless to say Vegas is pretty bummed about losing the Cup, especially at home and in four straight games.

As a popular meme being shared around Facebook said, the Knights may not have been able to raise the Cup, but they definitely raised the entire city.

Every player on that team should be extremely proud of what they did this season. Looking forward to next year.

Oh, and some basketball team won the Finals or something.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
A little late to this, but needless to say Vegas is pretty bummed about losing the Cup, especially at home and in four straight games.

As a popular meme being shared around Facebook said, the Knights may not have been able to raise the Cup, but they definitely raised the entire city.

Every player on that team should be extremely proud of what they did this season. Looking forward to next year.

Would have been cool to see them win but no one was expecting them to get anywhere close to where they did. Im sure they will be competitive next year so you never know. Still an incredible run for a fresh expansion team, and good news for the league that a hockey team in the middle of the desert could be so popular. Most expansion teams start off like Ottawa and are fucking horrible for a few years then gradually get better. The Seattle team will have alot to live up to

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

You guys can't be *THAT* bummed. You had a great run, and you saw how good the ownership could be for the team and the fans with the best pregame shows on ice. You have a good core to build around. And if need be, there's a lot of caps players who are going to be free agents, and I doubt DC can afford to retain the team.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Would have been cool to see them win but no one was expecting them to get anywhere close to where they did. Im sure they will be competitive next year so you never know. Still an incredible run for a fresh expansion team, and good news for the league that a hockey team in the middle of the desert could be so popular. Most expansion teams start off like Ottawa and are fucking horrible for a few years then gradually get better. The Seattle team will have alot to live up to
Is there any word as to whether the Senators are getting a new arena downtown?

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
You guys can't be *THAT* bummed. You had a great run, and you saw how good the ownership could be for the team and the fans with the best pregame shows on ice. You have a good core to build around. And if need be, there's a lot of caps players who are going to be free agents, and I doubt DC can afford to retain the team.

A Finals loss is a Finals loss. We were all hoping to cap the Cinderella story with winning it all, and going from rocking the playoffs to losing it all at the end in four straight at home...it was a gut punch.

That said, it doesn't take away from an amazing season with an amazing team and ownership. We're all psyched for next season and extremely proud of what they were able to accomplish in their historic inaugural season.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
...going from rocking the playoffs to losing it all at the end in four straight at home...it was a gut punch.

Welcome to hockey fandom. Every real fan of any NHL team has experienced it at some point. Imagine what it’s been like for Caps fans for the past 7+ seasons

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Welcome to hockey fandom. Every real fan of any NHL team has experienced it at some point. Imagine what it’s been like for Caps fans for the past 40+ seasons

FTFY. Being a sports fan is 98% misery unless you're a bandwagon hopper or are from Boston and are under the age of 25. Gonna need to get used to disappointment. Especially with the Raiders coming to town.

In other news, that ad the Caps took out in the Las Vegas Review Journal was classy as fuck.

https://twitter.com/reviewjournal/status/1006541385137192962/photo/1

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
LeBron James sign a 4-year, 154 million dollar deal with the Lakers.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
LeBron James sign a 4-year, 154 million dollar deal with the Lakers.

Really thankful I was here in Cleveland for the 2016 championship. Got my champions hat and shirt because honestly who the hell knows when Cleveland will ever win another in my lifetime. Thank you, Mr. James.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I gotta say, I didn't think there was a chance in hell LeBron would go to the Western Conference and give up his automatic free pass to the NBA Finals every year. Ballsy move on his part.

Now we have to see who goes there to team up with him. Maybe the Thunder will buy out Melo; he and LeBron are very good friends and played together well on Team USA.

The Nuggets took care of business and re-signed Jokic to a max deal and also locked up Barton. So their starting 5 will be:
PG: Jamal Murray
SG: Gary Harris
C: Nikola Jokic
PF: Paul Millsap
SF: Will Barton

Considering Millsap only played 38/82 games last year and the Nuggets only missed the playoffs by one game, I'd say they should be a playoff team next year. Jokic and Harris keep taking big leaps year to year; if they take another one this year, the Nuggets will be tough.

Still don't think anyone will beat the Warriors, though.