NHL/NBA playoffs 2018 thread

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Fucking LeBron, man, dude could drag a team of four sea otters to the conference finals. Or:

To be fair he is just doing what he does all the time. He shows up every night. The reason they did so well against Toronto is because of the production they got out of Love, Smith and Korver. Haven't seen that for a while. If those guys can do that every series they are hard to stop. If they get to the finals vs Golden State they will get shut down though, GS is too good defensively.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I still think Rockets could hang with the Warriors.

I think the Rockets are a good match for GS and they can beat them. I think the Cavs can beat the Rockets (if they make it to the finals) but really struggle against GS with the line up they have.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The Rockets ain't gon' do shit. Besides, we're well beyond the timeframe for another Chris Paul injury.

famicommander

15 Year Member
See my sig.
I stand by unifying the divisions in NJPW.

They've outgrown their current show format. Doing tours with four or five shows in a week with mostly the same multi man tag matches is not going to cut it if they really want to expand into the US on a major level.

I'm not saying Okada should be defending the title every week on normal shows but 2 or 3 defenses a year isn't enough. They need more singles matches in general in NJPW, and they need to start advancing storylines faster.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I stand by unifying the divisions in NJPW.

They've outgrown their current show format. Doing tours with four or five shows in a week with mostly the same multi man tag matches is not going to cut it if they really want to expand into the US on a major level.

I'm not saying Okada should be defending the title every week on normal shows but 2 or 3 defenses a year isn't enough. They need more singles matches in general in NJPW, and they need to start advancing storylines faster.

That's what the G1 is for- taking soft pins and advancing story.

OT, Rockets have a good shot at the Warriors in a game, but I'm afraid I'll have to see it in a series before I believe it. The times Harden disappears are real, and really felt.

famicommander

15 Year Member
That's what the G1 is for- taking soft pins and advancing story.

OT, Rockets have a good shot at the Warriors in a game, but I'm afraid I'll have to see it in a series before I believe it. The times Harden disappears are real, and really felt.

The G1 is once a year. There are big lulls in the year for NJPW. They're not a TV-driven business so their entire structure is based on touring Japan. But if they want to be a global company they need to break out of that mold and understand that NJPW World subscribers and AXS TV viewers don't want to see the same multi man tag matches four nights in a row.

The way the company is structured now also puts an artificial ceiling on guys like Kushida, Ospreay, Scurll, Hiromu Takahashi, Taiji Ishimori, Dragon Lee, etc. No matter what, the Junior Heavyweight division will never be looked upon as the equal of the heavyweight division. Consequently you have some of the most talented guys in the world placed artificially below the likes of an aging Michael Elgin or a still-improving Juice Robinson.

They treat it as a big deal when guys like Omega, Taichi, or the Young Bucks jump up into the heavyweights. It sort of craps on the whole junior division.

The tag team divisions especially need the weight classes gone, though. How many GOD vs KES vs Evil and Sanada matches can we see?

NJPW+ROH lost Roderick Strong to WWE because Roddy didn't want to be a Junior Heavyweight in NJPW.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I know they're not gonna win the title, but I'm rooting like hell for Boston. The gap, if there even is one, between Popovich and Brad Stevens for best coach in the league is shrinking really fast.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I know they're not gonna win the title, but I'm rooting like hell for Boston. The gap, if there even is one, between Popovich and Brad Stevens for best coach in the league is shrinking really fast.

Stevens will win out. He lost his stars and still found a way to compete. Popovich seemed to really struggle in giving his team focus with the silly Kawhi drama queen shit.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Stevens will win out. He lost his stars and still found a way to compete. Popovich seemed to really struggle in giving his team focus with the silly Kawhi drama queen shit.

I can't think of a time Pop has had to put up with drama queen shit before.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member

Considering how awful the Cavs were against the Pacers, anything’s possible.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
NHL Playoffs: Second Round (best of 7)

Eastern Conference:
Tampa Bay 4, Boston 1
Washington 4, Pittsburgh 2

Western Conference:
Nashville 3, Winnipeg 3 (final game Thursday)
Las Vegas 4, San Jose 2

NBA Playoffs: Second Round (best of 7)

Eastern Conference:
Cleveland 3, Toronto 0
Boston 4, Philadelphia 1

Western Conference:
Houston 4, Utah 1
Golden State 4, New Orleans 1

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Outside of the Tampa Bay Lightning, the other four teams have never won a Cup before.

famicommander

15 Year Member
If you look at the numbers the NHL has way more parity than any of the other three major leagues. More teams make the finals and more teams win the finals, accounting for the sizes of the leagues.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If you look at the numbers the NHL has way more parity than any of the other three major leagues. More teams make the finals and more teams win the finals, accounting for the sizes of the leagues.

In the past decade I think every team has been to the playoffs at least once. The longest drought is the Hurricanes but I think they won the Stanley Cup in 2006, so that gives them a little more respect. Meanwhile there are teams like the Browns and Mariners where fans have toiled in loserness for a long time.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Updated...

NHL Playoffs: Second Round (best of 7)

Eastern Conference:
Tampa Bay 4, Boston 1
Washington 4, Pittsburgh 2

Western Conference:
Winnipeg 4, Nashville 3
Las Vegas 4, San Jose 2

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Outside of the Tampa Bay Lightning, the other four teams have never won a Cup before.

That actually makes me happy. I thinks it’s lame and boring to see the same team(s) dominating the playoffs year after year. I was cheering like mad when the Caps scored in overtime and ousted the Penguins. I’m tired of seeing them in the playoffs and hearing the damn NBC announcers swoon over them

Watched the Jets/Predators game last night, and that was an awesome series. Both teams are scary good. Glad to see the Jets are still in it, they are the last hope for a Canadian team to finally win the cup again.
Jets/Golden Knights series should be awesome.

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Would I be crazy to think that Vegas stands a good chance at winning it all?

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Tickets are like $150 a person for nosebleeds. :rolleyes:

F that. I like being able to watch it on TV much more. Don’t have to pay stupid parking fees, ridiculously expensive beer and food, get much better viewing angles, and don’t have to fight traffic going home either.