NHL/NBA playoffs 2018 thread

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
There's apparently actually a decent chance that one of the reasons SA took that particular Leonard trade is because they knew how much he'd hate going to Toronto. Which is hilarious.

Yeah, but now DeRozen is pissed at being traded.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It’s a horrible trade on both sides. Leonard is a piece of shit. Derozan is a good guy who the Raptor fans love. It’s bad for basketball. If I am Silveratu, I nix the trade.

If I am DeMar, I smoke some weed and show up to the physical high while wearing a Chris Paul Laker’s shirt. Let them void it.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
As much as I hate that the NBA vetoed the Chris Paul to Lakers trade, it was one where New Orleans was still owned by the NBA.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
So Mark Gasol jumped into the sea to help save a shipwrecked immigrant that had drifted on a piece of wood for 48 hours.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Just curious, if Melo signed the min (once waived by ATL) with the Nuggets, would he fit in from a basketball standpoint with the current Denver roster? I probably just wish Denver would go back to powder blue unis.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I don't think Carmelo fits in with the current Nuggets team. This team is predicated on guys being able to move without the ball, set screens, and knock down shots directly off a pass. Carmelo is more of an isolation scorer, at his best when he can break down defenders one on one and get to the basket.

He can at least play in the fast break offense as he did it for most of his run here, but the Nuggets are currently structured around Nikola Jokic's strengths. He's the guy that the offense has to run through, and being such a unique beast means he needs certain types of players around him.

Carmelo is still a much better player than Will Barton, but Barton is a better choice to start at small forward on this team. He's young, athletic, he can knock down jumpers from anywhere, he's willing to do the dirty work, he cuts to the basket consistently when he doesn't have the ball, etc.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Just curious, if Melo signed the min (once waived by ATL) with the Nuggets, would he fit in from a basketball standpoint with the current Denver roster? I probably just wish Denver would go back to powder blue unis.

Denver should go back to the dark blue Denver skyline jerseys, except on Mount Elbert they should put Mutombo's face.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Dikembe was only here five seasons.

Alex English is the dude here. He's what Elway, Sakic, and Helton are to the Broncos, Avalanche, and Rockies.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Dikembe was only here five seasons.

Alex English is the dude here. He's what Elway, Sakic, and Helton are to the Broncos, Avalanche, and Rockies.

Sakic is a Nordique.

I don’t know Alex English. Did he play on a team?

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Those 80s Nuggets teams were fantastic to watch. Pretty much a precursor to today’s Warriors and Rockets teams.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Those 80s Nuggets teams were fantastic to watch. Pretty much a precursor to today’s Warriors and Rockets teams.

With the minor difference of the Warriors and Rockets actually winning championships.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Just curious, if Melo signed the min (once waived by ATL) with the Nuggets, would he fit in from a basketball standpoint with the current Denver roster?
Not in the slightest. And he's pretty much persona non grata in Colorado at this point, which is well-deserved.

At this point he's such a shitty player that I don't get why any team wants the guy, even for the minimum. He's like an even worse version of Wade, and with a bad attitude on top of it all. The Rockets are going to regret signing him.

edit: to be fair, Melo doesn't fit on any team, really. He's a ball-stopping power forward who hates playing anywhere other than the wing, who can't shoot even though that's supposedly his best role now, and he also still plays terrible defense. His game has never been conducive to team basketball, and it fits in the current NBA worse than ever.

Yeah I'm not a fan.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
LaPhonso Ellis? I mean, he was on the Nuggets with Mutombo in NBA Jam. Not English. C’mon guys.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
I was referring to today's Rockets with Chris Paul and James Harden.

Yea, I noticed that after I wrote it haha.

Kevin Love has committed to the Cavs for 4 years, $120 million.

What is Cleveland trying to do here? I figured with LeBron gone they'd trade off Love and play for the draft, but even though it's the East, is it worth it to keep Love and maybe aim for a low playoff spot?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
What is Cleveland trying to do here? I figured with LeBron gone they'd trade off Love and play for the draft, but even though it's the East, is it worth it to keep Love and maybe aim for a low playoff spot?
They must be planning on playing through Love as much as possible on offense and that doing so will bring back T-Wolves Love, I guess. He's worth the $, IMO (especially when he's the main focus of the gameplan), but the rest of that roster is so incredibly bad that they really won't be able to do much besides tank. Sexton looks interesting, but he and Love are literally the only two guys on the team they should want to keep for longer than a year or so.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Trying to avoid being the next Sacramento Kings and Orlando Magic, I'd say. I would hate going through a rebuild that would take a decade plus. Also, the even if the Cavs had cap space to sign bigger name free agents, I wouldn't exactly expect Durant or Leonard to be knocking on our door.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I’d take an all star and possibility of playoffs over no all stars and tanking. Better to be relevant than a lolcow.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I’d take an all star and possibility of playoffs over no all stars and tanking. Better to be relevant than a lolcow.

What year is this?

Love was panned by players for faking injury, and all those players were shipped out. He’s lolcow now.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Kevin Love averaged 17 and 9 over 59 games last season. He’s certainly an asset to the Cavs. Sexton has athleticism to finish at the basket and has a nice midrange game. I think many will be surprised by the Cavs this season.

I’m not saying championship aspirations, but we won’t be bottom feeders like the Magic or Hawks. Making a losing culture by being a lolcow (a team that tanks, really) won’t help attract free agents and won’t help team revenue either.