NHL/NBA playoffs 2018 thread

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It's that time of year.

My Avs stole a playoff spot in the very last game of the year, and will play Nashville in the first round starting Thursday.

The Nuggets have two games left, and if they win both they clinch a playoff spot. If they get help from other teams they can afford to lose one, but the only way to be sure is to win both games.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
The Celtics are done before it begins, so my interests have waned substantially. I am not sure that they can beat Greek Freak or whoever #7 is in the first round.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Good on the Avs for trying hard, but Nashville looks like a cup contender.

That said, I am excited for Thursday night when I will go see the Caps host the Bluejackets. CBJ has a great defensive pair but Ovie is playing like he's 10 years younger and 10 years wiser. Caps have grinded out some rough games and the core knows the sting of losing in the playoffs more than any other team still playing. Hope that translates to passionate play.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I will check in sometime in July when they are wrapping up.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Nuggets got the win tonight. Just need one more.

Jokic had his second straight triple double.

15 points, 20 rebounds, 11 assists, 2 steals, 1 block. He's a 23 year old center and he's only going to keep getting better.

Plus they got Gary Harris back after he missed 11 games with a knee injury.

If Michael Malone wasn't such a garbage ass coach the Nuggets would be a scary team in the playoffs.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I wonder if the Sabres will ever make the playoffs again in my lifetime.

As for the Cavs, should be another easy road to the Finals.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
My Suns secured the worst spot in the league. Really hoping they get the #1 pick for the draft, but we have historically bad luck so I won't be surprised if they end up picking 4th again.

For the playoffs, I'm expecting it to be the Rockets vs Cavs. I don't think Golden State has what it takes to make it all the way again.

NHL wise, I don't really care for hockey, but I'm super stoked to see the Golden Knights going to the playoffs as a high seed. Simply being able to say "My pro sports team is going to the playoffs" as a native Las Vegan is incredibly satisfying and not something we've ever been able to say before, and even crazier that we can during their first year.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I'd rather see Denver go to the lottery and have a chance to move up a spot or two in the draft than lose by 30 points a game to the Rockets.

I dunno, might help Jokic's 3rd team All-NBA case if they make it, I guess.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
My Suns secured the worst spot in the league. Really hoping they get the #1 pick for the draft, but we have historically bad luck so I won't be surprised if they end up picking 4th again.

For the playoffs, I'm expecting it to be the Rockets vs Cavs. I don't think Golden State has what it takes to make it all the way again.

NHL wise, I don't really care for hockey, but I'm super stoked to see the Golden Knights going to the playoffs as a high seed. Simply being able to say "My pro sports team is going to the playoffs" as a native Las Vegan is incredibly satisfying and not something we've ever been able to say before, and even crazier that we can during their first year.

The suns were dominant back in the Steve Nash days.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I'd rather see Denver go to the lottery and have a chance to move up a spot or two in the draft than lose by 30 points a game to the Rockets.

I dunno, might help Jokic's 3rd team All-NBA case if they make it, I guess.

They need the playoff experience. They have four great starters already when healthy -- Jokic, Harris, Murray, and Millsap. They just need to upgrade at small forward because Wilson Chandler isn't cutting it.

But they're done "rebuilding" this team. I would prefer all these young guys know what the playoffs are like when they are ready to make a real run next season.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Also, the Nuggets have never ONCE gotten a better pick in the lottery. Never. They always pick in the place they finished at best; usually a little worse.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
The Bruins/Leafs matchup should be awesome, as will the Flyers/Penguins.
With my beloved Habs tanking like they did this season, my hopes for a Canadian team finally winning the cup rest with Toronto or Winnipeg. As a Jets fan, I’m hoping they can push into the second round at least, but we’ll see

Nashville looks very strong in the West, but Vegas has done nothing but impress since day one.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The Nuggets actually can't finish 8th due to tiebreakers.

If they win tomorrow night they'll be 5th, 6th, or 7th depending on how the other games go. So they won't play the Rockets in the first round.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
No need for me to watch this year. I know how it will turn out for the Caps and Wiz.

famicommander

15 Year Member
No need for me to watch this year. I know how it will turn out for the Caps and Wiz.

You always gotta go down with the ship man. The Avs had the worst record in the NHL last year and I still watched a ton of games. Makes this year that much better.

famicommander

15 Year Member
LeBron ain't going to the western conference. out here you don't get a free ride to the finals every year.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
So...Nuggets and T-Wolves battling for the final playoff spot and they face each other in the final game of the regular season. Now that's a hell of a scheduling foresight ;)

famicommander

15 Year Member
So...Nuggets and T-Wolves battling for the final playoff spot and they face each other in the final game of the regular season. Now that's a hell of a scheduling foresight ;)

Exact same thing happened on Saturday with the Avs and Blues. Hoping for the same result.