Hardcore Metal Fans Get Your Ass In Here!!

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
:qcf:

Their cover of La Bamba :keke: Love their use of Joel Peter Witkin photographs too.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
F4U57, do you know Nefandus from Sweden?

I’ve heard of them, but no, haven’t given them a listen.

That first track ripped my face off. Goregrind? I’m not as familiar as I’d like to be and you seem to know a lot of great underground bands - or at least ones I’ve never heard off.

Edit - these fellas have been around for ages. I feel stupid.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
That first track ripped my face off. Goregrind? I’m not as familiar as I’d like to be and you seem to know a lot of great underground bands - or at least ones I’ve never heard off.

Cool!

I mean, I guess you could call them death/grind? Im no goregrind expert nor do I listen to a ton of it. To my understanding goregrind usually has heavy footing in early carcass, but obviously there is going to be a varying degree of deviation from that influence.

Like I'd call Squash Bowels goregrind without hesitation

A very different style than embalmer, despite both being grindcore rooted ya know?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I
Edit - these fellas have been around for ages. I feel stupid.

Haha. Virtually all of the metal I listen to is old.

I enjoy current music, but I tend to dislike the majority of current metal. MAYBE IM LOOKIN IN WRONG PLACES

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Cool!

I mean, I guess you could call them death/grind? Im no goregrind expert nor do I listen to a ton of it. To my understanding goregrind usually has heavy footing in early carcass, but obviously there is going to be a varying degree of deviation from that influence.

Like I'd call Squash Bowels goregrind without hesitation

A very different style than embalmer, despite both being grindcore rooted ya know?

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I think my appreciation of death metal is limited and sparse and therefore understanding the roots and influences are perhaps lost on me. When you make the link to Carcass’ early material and I think Reek of Putrefaction, then I definitely see your point. My first DM was Obituary’s World Demise and Cannibal Corpse’s The Bleeding when I was very young, but the I found Cradle of Filth and it was a slow descent into all things black and extreme metal, so that’s where my knowledge lies. I’d really like to fill the gaps in my DM collection, and bands like Embalmer sound awesome, I love those vocals. I grabbed all of Autopsy’s early albums for cheap the other month and I’m like, why did it take me this long?!

Haha. Virtually all of the metal I listen to is old.

I enjoy current music, but I tend to dislike the majority of current metal. MAYBE IM LOOKIN IN WRONG PLACES

I think there is still a lot of great new bands coming out but it really depends on what sound you like I guess. I’ll find a label I like and follow them. These guys still put out a lot of quality traditional death metal, along with a lot of black/death metal. That “cavernous” sound is so fetch right now.

Dark Descent Records
Iron Bonehead Records
Nuclear War Now! Records
Hells Headbangers Records

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I think my appreciation of death metal is limited and sparse and therefore understanding the roots and influences are perhaps lost on me. When you make the link to Carcass’ early material and I think Reek of Putrefaction, then I definitely see your point. My first DM was Obituary’s World Demise and Cannibal Corpse’s The Bleeding when I was very young, but the I found Cradle of Filth and it was a slow descent into all things black and extreme metal, so that’s where my knowledge lies. I’d really like to fill the gaps in my DM collection, and bands like Embalmer sound awesome, I love those vocals. I grabbed all of Autopsy’s early albums for cheap the other month and I’m like, why did it take me this long?!

Yeah, we've talked about World Demise before. It's absolutely my favorite Obituary release!

At least based on your posts/convos here etc it seems obvious on how you lean more toward a black metal than death metal. I'm the inverse. I have too many black metal gaps and listen primarily to DM. The BM bands/releases I love though, I do love a lot (thanks again for introducing me to drowning the light).

I think there is still a lot of great new bands coming out but it really depends on what sound you like I guess. I’ll find a label I like and follow them. These guys still put out a lot of quality traditional death metal, along with a lot of black/death metal. That “cavernous” sound is so fetch right now.

Dark Descent Records
Iron Bonehead Records
Nuclear War Now! Records
Hells Headbangers Records

I've ordered from Hells Headbanger's distro before and know of NWN. Not familiar with DD and Iron bonehead, but I'm on the dark descent bandcamp as we speak.

What is the cavernous sound, and what does fetch mean?

As far as taste goes for navigating newer DM, I enjoy technical stuff, but hate when it sounds like sterile math metal. I enjoy "brutal" stuff but hate it when it sounds like slammy deathcore, I love "old school" sounding stuff, but hate it when it ends up sounding more like thrash or death n' roll. I hate 1:1 clone bands etc.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yeah, we've talked about World Demise before. It's absolutely my favorite Obituary release!

At least based on your posts/convos here etc it seems obvious on how you lean more toward a black metal than death metal. I'm the inverse. I have too many black metal gaps and listen primarily to DM. The BM bands/releases I love though, I do love a lot (thanks again for introducing me to drowning the light).

Yes, World Demise is my favourite as well. I've grown to love Cause of Death (mainly because it has James Murphy on guitar, I mean, Disincarnate!) and DtL are great, I prefer his early material more than his newer stuff, he pumps out so much material, splits, demos, ep's, unreleased tracks... it's really hard to keep up and unfortunately it suffers from quantity over quality. The guy has vision though.

Have you heard of UVSS? They're from Massachusetts. Their "drums" may take you by surprise, but I find it works.

I've ordered from Hells Headbanger's distro before and know of NWN. Not familiar with DD and Iron bonehead, but I'm on the dark descent bandcamp as we speak.

What is the cavernous sound, and what does fetch mean?

As far as taste goes for navigating newer DM, I enjoy technical stuff, but hate when it sounds like sterile math metal. I enjoy "brutal" stuff but hate it when it sounds like slammy deathcore, I love "old school" sounding stuff, but hate it when it ends up sounding more like thrash or death n' roll. I hate 1:1 clone bands etc.

OK, you might appreciate Blood Incantation signed to Dark Descent, they're technical death but done right and their heart is in it. And I agree, "slammy" and deathcore (actually, any core apart from Grind) can piss right off. Kids these days...

Also, please disregard my inappropriate Mean Girls reference.

"Cavernous" blackened/death is something me and my mates throw around. Give this a listen and I'm sure you'll see what I mean. Sounds like it's recorded in the belly of hell, I love it.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yes, World Demise is my favourite as well. I've grown to love Cause of Death (mainly because it has James Murphy on guitar, I mean, Disincarnate!) and DtL are great, I prefer his early material more than his newer stuff, he pumps out so much material, splits, demos, ep's, unreleased tracks... it's really hard to keep up and unfortunately it suffers from quantity over quality. The guy has vision though.

Have you heard of UVSS? They're from Massachusetts. Their "drums" may take you by surprise, but I find it works.

I have heard of them, but never listened before! It's pretty cool, thanks.

O and Cause of death is my second favorite (James Murphy indeed rules). Yeah I know drowning the light has a ton of material, and I haven't kept up/heard all of his tuff. There is so much! I only own A world long dead and To the end of time.

OK, you might appreciate Blood Incantation signed to Dark Descent, they're technical death but done right and their heart is in it. And I agree, "slammy" and deathcore (actually, any core apart from Grind) can piss right off. Kids these days...

Also, please disregard my inappropriate Mean Girls reference.

"Cavernous" blackened/death is something me and my mates throw around. Give this a listen and I'm sure you'll see what I mean. Sounds like it's recorded in the belly of hell, I love it.

Yep, I actually checked out blood incantation on the bandcamp page before you posted about them. I'm not excited by it, but it's ok.

And about the "core" thing...you see, I enjoy quite a bit of hardcore and styles that contain a hardcore component. So I can't totally agree with your statement, but yes deathcore is awful.

As far as the cavernous sound ^, yes it is a sound I love.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

2yuiszc.jpg

Last edited: