Supergun Pro Gamer by Retro Eletronik for MVS. Any thoughts?

Hi. So this is my first attempt to get an MVS board running. I have the MV1FZS (single slot with jamma connector) and to get started I want the simplest possible solution so I can check the board works before I get tinkering.

I've been looking at this Supergun from a French supplier. Anyone have any thoughts on the spec or relevant experience to share?

Thanks in advance

http://retroelectronik.com/en/super...autofirevoltmeter-included-5674864654514.html

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
It is ok, but the video output doesn't have a buffer afaik. From the looks of it they simply slap on three potentiometers and a resistor to attenuate the high impedance signals of these arcade boards for consumer equipment. Not really the proper way to do so as you usually want a buffer, such as an amp to get some isolation between your arcade device and scaler/tv. Proper superguns use an amp to ensure this both for the safety of your scaler/tv and arcade board in the long run.

Last edited:

alienpdx

n00b
I have this supergun and i love it.

also i have no technical knowledge about buffers and what not, but it looks shiiiitawesome on my CRT tv... better than some of my real consoles.

18209351_10156298826101164_6927313169929278053_o.jpg

also, i modded my ps3 fightstick onto the circuitboard.
19894540_10156676690091164_8603887754030344604_n.jpg

anyways, im not some purist just an avarage user and i rate it 9/10 would buy again.

ovalfastlx

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I have this supergun and used it with my MV1F board and 138 in 1 cart. Every time the Multi-cart finished loading a game, the Frameiester would shutoff.I fed the pro gamer's scart into my Frameiester. Maybe not having the buffer did this, but it worked , just have to turn ON the Frameiester every time.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I have this supergun and used it with my MV1F board and 138 in 1 cart. Every time the Multi-cart finished loading a game, the Frameiester would shutoff.I fed the pro gamer's scart into my Frameiester. Maybe not having the buffer did this, but it worked , just have to turn ON the Frameiester every time.

That's prolly because the Neo isnt outputting a sync signal. Framemeister has issues with even certain Neo games that change resolutions on the fly. Pulstar is a huge offender of this.

ovalfastlx

Kuroko's Training Dummy
That's prolly because the Neo isnt outputting a sync signal. Framemeister has issues with even certain Neo games that change resolutions on the fly. Pulstar is a huge offender of this.
I use the Neo in the Astro City now. Switch OFF and On was getting old.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have this supergun and i love it.

also i have no technical knowledge about buffers and what not, but it looks shiiiitawesome on my CRT tv... better than some of my real consoles.

18209351_10156298826101164_6927313169929278053_o.jpg

also, i modded my ps3 fightstick onto the circuitboard.
19894540_10156676690091164_8603887754030344604_n.jpg

anyways, im not some purist just an avarage user and i rate it 9/10 would buy again.

So you're impressed that it takes the RGB from the arcade board and redirects it to your monitor? Nice.

It's a shitty supergun that I constantly get asked for tech help because the maker/seller isn't much help. Get an HAS supergun, the one he was trying to copy that did it WAY better.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Just out of curiosity, what exactly is so bad about it?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I purchased one of these to try out before I did a deep dive into collecting arcade pcb’s.

It’s not bad. It works for sure, and the auto generation of -5V is nice.

The atx connector is a bit fucked. The plastic is a bit too thick, so getting a 24 pin connector back out is a colossal bitch.

Audio out seems to have some interference unless you add some equipment between the stereo outs and the speakers / headphones.
The headphone jack is the worst offender on this.

For the price it’s fine for the short term, but now that I’ve gotten a good amount of pcb’s, I’ll definitely upgrade in the future and relegate this to a test supergun or something different.

Seller can’t pack them for shit though. Mine came in a barely padded envelope. I was shocked t wasn’t snapped in half when it was delivered.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
+1 for the HAS supergun. He's taking pre-orders now for his next round. I don't know if they're the end all be all of SGs, but for the few boards I have, I have zero complaints. Nice guy too if you have any questions.

8bitForLife

Crazed MVS Addict
The retroelectronik is a nightmare. The customer service is zero (they dont respond to emails fb or ebay messages). The one alienpdx got is not the pile of shit they send out now. Cold solder joints make dp15 ports not work correctly after awhile if they worked at all. No 5v for joystick terminal connectors so had to tap 5v on psu terminals no select button terminal.

Stay away from it. I put in a refund on ebay and they never bothered to respond. The picture on ebay and above is what alienpdx got and on their website but anyone who orders now gets what i got. Im in que for a HAS i think you should do the same. Xain xi had to make me a db15 terminal so i could wire my joysticks up since mine just ranomaly stopped working on some buttons

Its like they ran out of the updated version and just send out the old versions.
received_1659406277478120.jpeg

Last edited:

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Yeah I would stay the hell away from that steaming pile.

The best and only superguns I would recommend are.

Xian Xi/ James (not sure if he's taking orders)

H.A.S.

Sigma (very good & quality built just expensive.) I have a AV 7000 and love it, has amazing picture output.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
+1 for the HAS supergun. He's taking pre-orders now for his next round. I don't know if they're the end all be all of SGs, but for the few boards I have, I have zero complaints. Nice guy too if you have any questions.

I’m not going to another site to get one. Wish he would come on here and sell them.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I wonder where he gets these superguns made?

My DB15 solder joints all look exactly the same and good. Not sticking up for the product...I will be replacing it as soon as JNX superguns go back up as available. I just picked it up to play around with before I dropped "big timers" money on a custom built supergun.

Its a meh product. It works, and mine at least is soldered correctly. But between the ATX connector being a bit fucked, and some interference in the audio outs, it's not great. I contacted eBay for a replacement that doesn't have audio issues but no response yet, so at least support wise, it's pretty bad.

I'm not 100% against the product, but I am definitely not recommending it either. It COULD be good w/ some revisions and actual support

8bitForLife

Crazed MVS Addict
I wonder where he gets these superguns made?

My DB15 solder joints all look exactly the same and good. Not sticking up for the product...I will be replacing it as soon as JNX superguns go back up as available. I just picked it up to play around with before I dropped "big timers" money on a custom built supergun.

Its a meh product. It works, and mine at least is soldered correctly. But between the ATX connector being a bit fucked, and some interference in the audio outs, it's not great. I contacted eBay for a replacement that doesn't have audio issues but no response yet, so at least support wise, it's pretty bad.

I'm not 100% against the product, but I am definitely not recommending it either. It COULD be good w/ some revisions and actual support
Ill eat crow if the maker messages you on it. Btw did you get my version or alienpdx version? Mine doesnt seem to have any audio interference.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Meh it's $70 or something.

I got one a few weeks ago, I don't have that high of expectations for the cost.
I haven't had the chance yet to test it out for much yet except as a passive rgb out and it worked good for that but I have other options or things I could modify to do that for the long run.

Anyways I don't understand why it's wired for a 6 button NEO-GEO? controller, why don't they just just make it for a Genesis controller instead of trying to make you buy that God awful adapter.

Also I have a couple technical questions about it and have found zero documentation for it.

Mines marker ver 1.3 how do you tell the differences in them?

Nice I see 8bit for life has pico power supply running his.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Ill eat crow if the maker messages you on it. Btw did you get my version or alienpdx version? Mine doesnt seem to have any audio interference.

I got your version.

The headphone jack hisses pretty badly. RCA isn’t as bad but it’s there. Mono audio off the JAMMA edge works 100% perfectly, as does bypassing the supergun and taking stereo audio out on my M2 boards, so the problem is definitely isolated to the audio out portion of the board. Annoying enough for me to ask for a replacement though.

Solder joints look fine on the audio out areas as well, but I could be missing something

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

I haven't had the chance yet to test it out for much yet except as a passive rgb out and it worked good for that but I have other options or things I could modify to do that for the long run.

Anyways I don't understand why it's wired for a 6 button NEO-GEO? controller, why don't they just just make it for a Genesis controller instead of trying to make you buy that God awful adapter.

Also I have a couple technical questions about it and have found zero documentation for it.

There really isn’t any technical documentation at all

8bitForLife

Crazed MVS Addict

One has dipswitchs with more options like 5v for screw terminals for controllers instead of tapping the psu. Then my version has push buttons and not dipswitchs

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Not sure where else to put this, but the latest HAS superguns are now back in stock.

Edit: I've been informed that Windy gaming superguns are always in stock.

Last edited:

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
wow that build quality is ass. but its cheap and it has proper isolation transformers - gotta give credit where credit is due. Still, sad that sweatshop made shoddy stuff like these is probly gonna outsell the great quality stuff like HAS and others.

-Segasonicfan

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
Not sure where else to put this, but the latest HAS superguns are now back in stock.

Edit: I've been informed that Windy gaming superguns are always in stock.

It may be a dumb question, but where can I buy a HAS supergun ? I've seen old theads about that, but nothing recent, so I don't know where to order one.