How much is a complete Neo Geo cd collection worth?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Maybe next topic ...

How much is a complete Neo Geo AES collection worth?

I would not consider buying a complete collection from many folk. The number of members I would buy from on a pure collection standpoint is incredibly small compared to 2005, when I decided that I didn’t want a large collection at all. Let’s say that no one who posts outside of the Italian forum, with the exception of a few guys in the USA.

Trust is hard to come by now. A lot of trust was destroyed over the years. Laurent used to be a good guy. He fucked things up for a lot of France. Bootleggers in Spain pumped out way too many games. And there are a few guys in the US who seemed way too into the technical side of cart production. Not naming names, but I have suspected for years that they were buying games on one hand and selling counterfeits on the other, claiming the provenance from the legitimate seller, as needed.

mahesak

Morden's Lackey
Truthfully nowadays that's hard. Alot of people make fake sales to drive up the perceived value of the games to be honest. So there really is no fair market value for a set. Plus US and JP would differ wildly in value.

Yes, I agree. Price of rare titles AES swings + - 20 to 30% from Neogeokult when real sold.

I would not consider buying a complete collection from many folk. The number of members I would buy from on a pure collection standpoint is incredibly small compared to 2005, when I decided that I didn’t want a large collection at all. Let’s say that no one who posts outside of the Italian forum, with the exception of a few guys in the USA.

Trust is hard to come by now. A lot of trust was destroyed over the years. Laurent used to be a good guy. He fucked things up for a lot of France. Bootleggers in Spain pumped out way too many games. And there are a few guys in the US who seemed way too into the technical side of cart production. Not naming names, but I have suspected for years that they were buying games on one hand and selling counterfeits on the other, claiming the provenance from the legitimate seller, as needed.
That's true thing ... rarest titles AES are not good to buy in ebay or newbie sellers. I thought in this 5 years old collectors maybe decide to sell their collection because the ages will be near 45+ years old and no mean to collect continues ...

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
There's always Canada.

Not interested in Canada, Nigeria, Spain, France.

Like if I was the Adol Bros, I would make it a point to cripple Laurent and the other bootleggers for devaluing Adol’s entire collection to $50 counterfeit dollars, shipped.

Missile

Another Striker
Genuinely cant see the point of Neo CD these days. At the time sure it was a low price way of getting into Neo Geo. But now why would you want cut down games with loading delays? Neo Geo is all about arcade immediacy. Just go the MVS route if you have a budget.

As for bootlegs: Is there a fail safe way of finding out if genuine? E.g. get pics of circuit board for AES. .

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
For me, going back to the NGCD was mostly nostalgia for the hardware and a few exclusive titles. It would not apply to most people.

todosnk

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
an Aes full set japan sold for 100k recently. but did not include all carton boxed games (ie there are 2 versions of Nam, regular and carton boxed) nor the exclusive mvs to aes converted titles. in total there are currently 179 games including kraut buster and knights chance. the full set that sold had only the 117 official titles without repetitions.
for cd i have no idea. i have the full set including the special kof 95 and 98 editions (wooden box) but never really cared about the price. i just enjoy them as they are even if they were worth $1

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Genuinely cant see the point of Neo CD these days. At the time sure it was a low price way of getting into Neo Geo. But now why would you want cut down games with loading delays? Neo Geo is all about arcade immediacy. Just go the MVS route if you have a budget.

As for bootlegs: Is there a fail safe way of finding out if genuine? E.g. get pics of circuit board for AES. .

The Neo Geo CD is a great way to supplement your MVS or AES collection.

Consider this: I got my Neo Geo CD toploader with Pulstar and three gamepads for less than the cost of a loose Pulstar MVS cart. Sure, there are load times, but they're not too bad and it's not missing content.

The general rule is, just avoid fighting games on Neo Geo CD. They're the ones that tend to be missing stuff like animation frames or background animation, and the load times are infamous and excruciating. Most other games are identical to the AES/MVS and many only load once, right at the beginning. And some games even have exclusive content (like the extra course in Neo Turf Masters) or arranged soundtracks.

And most games cost a fraction of what their MVS or AES counterparts cost.

Of course now with the NeoSD it's less of a concern. But if you're after legitimate games you can get a huge chunk of the Neo Geo library pretty cheap if you hunt between MVS and CD. I have almost 50 MVS carts, plus about 20 CD titles. The total cost of those 20 CD titles would be more than double my MVS collection's value if I had bought all the CD games on MVS. And none are missing any relevant content that I'm aware of.

I'd straight up never spend what an MVS Pulstar, Last Resort, etc would cost.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yea a NeoSD is the real way to go now unless you have no desire to play the games and just buy stuff to sit on a shelf and get likes on FB.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Yea a NeoSD is the real way to go now unless you have no desire to play the games and just buy stuff to sit on a shelf and get likes on FB.

If I were starting out now it's probably what I'd do. I'll probably still get one anyway, even with all the games I already have.

But fuck, I only started in 2007 but even since then prices have gone nuts. Couldn't imagine trying to buy everything I have right now.

mahesak

Morden's Lackey
an Aes full set japan sold for 100k recently. but did not include all carton boxed games (ie there are 2 versions of Nam, regular and carton boxed) nor the exclusive mvs to aes converted titles. in total there are currently 179 games including kraut buster and knights chance. the full set that sold had only the 117 official titles without repetitions.
for cd i have no idea. i have the full set including the special kof 95 and 98 editions (wooden box) but never really cared about the price. i just enjoy them as they are even if they were worth $1

Oh! thanks for information. I had seen in ebay and that collection has sunfade in rare titles. So in full set Japan AES in mint condition for all maybe $150-200k ... ;)

I sold my Japan CD full set last year around $15K because I want to collect only US and Jap AES.

Last edited:

hitorkori

Cheng's Errand Boy
Wow 15k a year ago I’ve got aes n Mvs neo sd so cd as much as I love it would be the first to go also white flash Saturn 300 games pads guns etc no time or space for them

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Wow 15k a year ago I’ve got aes n Mvs neo sd so cd as much as I love it would be the first to go also white flash Saturn 300 games pads guns etc no time or space for them

Learn how to type you're close to amiga1200's retarded drivel.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If you still have the robo army dog tag for sale i am interested Thanks

We'll be making arrangements for your arrival to West Korea but I need a few questions answered first.

1. What is the circumference of your scrotum?

2. Do you have docking experience?

3. Is your hull crusty?

Carless Walker

Kabuki Klasher
We'll be making arrangements for your arrival to West Korea but I need a few questions answered first.

1. What is the circumference of your scrotum?

2. Do you have docking experience?

3. Is your hull crusty?

I like your vetting process Lach.

It's worth mentioning, this fellow appears to be... well... I'll just say it.. how does one measure an ethereal scrotum? I guess we could use the smallest digital calipers available to determine the ghostly diameter... pi, times the radius squared... someone check my math. I came up with 2.1MM

This fellow might be a hamster.

He'll fit right in. ;)

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I like your vetting process Lach.

It's worth mentioning, this fellow appears to be... well... I'll just say it.. how does one measure an ethereal scrotum? I guess we could use the smallest digital calipers available to determine the ghostly diameter... pi, times the radius squared... someone check my math. I came up with 2.1MM

This fellow might be a hamster.

He'll fit right in. ;)

So whos into Gerbilling???