AES resetting

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
Im going to scream, can't seem to not have something go wrong with my AES anymore. It now resets itself constantly. Everything is clean, I removed all my mods (S Video /Audio jacks) etc. Nothing helps. It seems to do it the most with Fatal Fury 3. Sometimes it gets farther and will do it randomly another time. AOF 2 it does it too. Oddly enough Samurai Shodown think I've seen it reboot only once. 3-6 AES with all new capacitors. Carts clean, slots clean, tried multiple ac adapters. AC jack on the back cleaned. Fuck

Here's a video of it happening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyAFMHeqEfU

Last edited:

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
Ok this is really odd, the longer it's on the less it seems to do it. It will keep resetting for awhile, about 5 to 10 minutes or so then finally seems to clear up. I can actually get some matches in Fatal Fury 3 now. But if I start it up cold after having it off for a little bit. It goes right back to the constant resetting?

Any ideas what could be causing this? Im completely stumped.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
check your power jack..wiggle the power cord... A strong possibility you may need to replace that power jack.
BB

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
check your power jack..wiggle the power cord... A strong possibility you may need to replace that power jack.
BB

I checked it and it's solid. Very tight and wiggling it does nothing. Tried official Neo power 3 adapter, Genesis 1 adapter and 3rd party AC adapters and all give the same results. So I feel I can safely rule out the AC adapter or jack.

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
Can anyone recommend someone who does professional repair work here in the states I could possibly send my neo out to? I feel fixing this is beyond me.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Contact James (Xian Xi) if he's not backlogged I'm sure he can figure something out.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
The fact that it seems to work better the longer it runs, seems to suggest that some solder is cold, and when it gets hot because of usage, it makes better contact and it allows the AES to work better. Check very carefully for cold solder joints on the board and see if you find anything.

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
The fact that it seems to work better the longer it runs, seems to suggest that some solder is cold, and when it gets hot because of usage, it makes better contact and it allows the AES to work better. Check very carefully for cold solder joints on the board and see if you find anything.

Thanks, I will check it out tomorrow on my day off. Is there any data sheet that shows what the value of the capacitors should read when powered on I could look at? I thought it only started resetting after I re capped it but im not entirely sure. Maybe one of the capacitors isn't getting a solid connection.

Thanks

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
Tomorrow im going to check traces as recommended by Jeff Kurtz. Im hoping I find a bad one. That's something I can fix running a wire from point A to B. Shall see

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
So I gave up... Ordered another Neo today. Found one cheap on eBay last night. Gonna clean this one up and once my new Neo arrives, I will place this one up on eBay as "Needs repair" for someone else to try and fix. Fuck it.

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
So I've discovered my step-down transformer I was using is messed up. I got a new Neo and it started resetting too. I got a new transformer and it works fine now. Unfortunately the other one that I originally had the problem with has been damaged by the transformer and keeps resetting with the new one too. So that's going on ebay eventually so someone more experienced can have a go at getting it fixed.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Curious as to why you're using a step down transformer. Are you using a PAL system? If you're living in the states, why not use a US or JP system?