Metal Slug 3 (MVS) garbage splash screen, crashes

jcmorris

New Challenger
So I have had a problem with this cart for a while where it will launch to a garbage start screen with static tv like snow( think back in the day when you didn’t have a cable signal). Then when it tries to launch the attract sequence or you press start, it crashes to green screen and reboots. Metal slug 3 is the only cart that this happens with, and I have tried it in every single slot. It’s been cleaned, I’ll be installing a Unibios this week to check for CRC error on the cart.

https://youtu.be/MUuiDM6WLTY

Iv attached a video where you can see what happens. For what it’s worth, iv seen something similar with the metal slug 5 cart I have but it always seems to correct itself so I chalked it up to dirty contacts or bad connection. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

jcmorris

New Challenger
Just wanted to reply to myself in case any one else digs this up and has a similar problem.

Crosstested cart on my 1 slot and it boots right away. THis is NOT one of the wierd revisions of ms3, no daughter cards etc.

The issue seems to be directly related to the order in which carts are inserted into the 4 slot, or rather that certain carts HAVE to be put into a certain configuration before working. I talked to a few other 4 slot users with this problem. (ex: Certain games just wont boot or crash unless they are in a certain slot) During the process of trying different combos I ran into a z80 error and a M1-ROM error, both of which only occured when MS3 was in a certain slot with a specific arrangement of other games in the other slots. These corrected themselves once I found the right combination, so to speak.