SSS3 working setups

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Please post your working setups only.

SuperGrafx, sss3 rev 2

Retro-access scart, OSSC, Vizio 50"

Retro-access JP 21pin, xrgb3, Samsung 40"

No notes or exceptions, both setups are perfect.

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
My SSD3 setup has been working perfectly since Day 1 - no visual noise, no audio buzzing. Had some minor game compatibility issues that went away by disabling the In Game Triggers and flipping the compatibility switch on the back of the SuperGrafx. Ironically, I've had people argue with me that visual noise MUST be there, and that I'm just not seeing it. :thevt:

Recapped, jailbar-fixed Supergrafx
GamekingNo1 SCART cable with premium shielding and ferrite chokes on both cable ends.
Original Revision 1 SSD3
Two TVs: LG OLED B6 with OSSC, Sony PVM-2030

IMG_4770.pngIMG_4772.png

Last edited:

Apolo33

n00b
My SSD3 setup has been working perfectly since Day 1 - no visual noise, no audio buzzing. Had some minor game compatibility issues that went away by disabling the In Game Triggers and flipping the compatibility switch on the back of the SuperGrafx. Ironically, I've had people argue with me that visual noise MUST be there, and that I'm just not seeing it. :thevt:

Recapped, jailbar-fixed Supergrafx
GamekingNo1 SCART cable with premium shielding and ferrite chokes on both cable ends.
Original Revision 1 SSD3
Two TVs: 65" LG OLED B6 with OSSC, Sony PVM-2030

View attachment 49579View attachment 49580

:hcb:

s2112d

Zero's Secretary
20 Year Member
SuperGrafx (No mods) - Retro-access JP21 csync via videogameperfection.com JP21 to scart adapter, OSSC, LG 47 SSDS3 Rev 2

SuperGrafx (No mods) - Retro-access JP21 csync (same cable), Framemeister, LG 47 SSDS3 Rev 2

Edit: Gscart switch in the mix as well - Both OSSC and Framemeister

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

I'm interested in hearing more details/pics of this cable.

Is that from the dude in Poland or eastern Europe somewhere?

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Coregrafx II | SSDS3 Rev 2 | PACKAPUNCH | OSSC | Benq Zowie

No video noise from all games I've tried so far, but my left audio channel goes scratchy and cuts-out after 5 mins of play. Most likely due to my console needing a cap kit. Gonna try replacing caps this weekend.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I'm interested in hearing more details/pics of this cable.

Is that from the dude in Poland or eastern Europe somewhere?

He's in Sweden. He was recommended to me on these forums as a premium cable maker when I switched all my consoles over to SCART back in 2016. Sadly, he seems to have disappeared from the Internet since then, or changed his handle at least.

I'll post a picture of the cable later tonight after I get home. It's a pretty rugged cable.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Coregrafx Untouched / SSDS3 Rev 2 / retro access scart cable / PVM

Coregrafx Untouched / SSDS3 Rev 2 / MD2 HD retrovision Cable / Samsung Plasma

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
SuperGrafx w/ Mickcris RGB Mod, / SSDS3 Rev 2 / retro access CSYNC scart cable / OSSC / LG OLED works fine.

same as above but with HD Retrovision cables instead of scart...video noise fest. Might be the PSU, looking to replace it. Getting the cap flipped too for good measure.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Please post your working setups only.
SuperGrafx w/ Mickcris RGB Mod, / SSDS3 Rev 2 / retro access CSYNC scart cable / OSSC / LG OLED works fine.

same as above but with HD Retrovision cables instead of scart...video noise fest. Might be the PSU, looking to replace it. Getting the cap flipped too for good measure.

Doesn't sound like that's a properly-working setup to me IMHO.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Too fucking bad. I guess I can't participate in your circle-jerk then.

No need to be nasty. The point to this thread was to show that there really are satisfied SSD3 users with no issues, and to list the working equipment so that troubleshooters can have more info. It's a counterpoint to the very-active complaint thread.

Please carry on with your troubleshooting, and I hope you get your setup working 100% and noise-free.

Last edited:

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
No need to be nasty. The point to this thread was to show that there really are satisfied SSD3 users with no issues. It's a counterpoint to the very-active complaint thread.

Please carry on with your troubleshooting, and I hope you get your setup working 100% and noise-free.

Well seeing as your interjection was not needed and had you decided to just leave it alone instead of going all "IMHO"...you can go fuck yourself.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Guys it's ng.com!

You point a thread in a direction but where it goes...

On topic, SuperGrafx, sss3 rev 2, HDR cable, CRT Toshiba 27" works fine.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Guys it's ng.com!

You point a thread in a direction but where it goes...

On topic, SuperGrafx, sss3 rev 2, HDR cable, CRT Toshiba 27" works fine.

Yeah the HDR cable looks fine on my Sony XBR CRT too..I'm guessing that CRTs are good at masking whatever the noise issue I'm having.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
As per Yodd's request, here's the "gameking01" Genesis 2 cable that I purchased back in 2016, pictured alongside a PCE cable for comparison. It's really too bad gameking's disappeared - his cables were rugged and reasonably-priced.

Photo Apr 04, 6 47 41 PM.jpgPhoto Apr 04, 6 47 56 PM.jpgPhoto Apr 04, 6 48 57 PM.jpg

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
holy shit

that looks more like a jumper cable :keke:

that is some seriously thick cable.

monads

Mr. Big's Thug
10 Year Member
No issues here. I've mainly been using the composite signal and not tested RGB (I have the equipment on-hand/ready) as I just want to play some games!!! With that said, this works nicely and I realize without testing the RGB on 1 of my modified consoles is probably useless but posting anyway for others:

Monitors:
Sony KV-1311CR

Cables:
Genesis2 AV Cable

Systems:
Core Grafx (modified w/RGB, Jailbar fix)
Core Grafx II (unmodified original)
Original PSUs

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Listing composite is fine and I asked for working setups. Fits the criteria.

sadelape

n00b
Mine is perfect. No video noise and no audio hum
Turbografx 16 + Rev2 + HD Retrocable on a Sony Trinitron XBR CRT and my Sony HD Grand Wega rear projection tv.
My tg16 is nearly new, less than 30 hrs. Bought it from someone who didn't know what they had.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Well seeing as your interjection was not needed and had you decided to just leave it alone instead of going all "IMHO"...you can go fuck yourself.

Hey RevQuixo, I think VBA may have hacked your forum account. Might want to change your password.

The only setup that for me *DIDN'T* work was using a sync-on-composite cable, maybe due to the capacitor thing? Even then, it worked fine on my PVM, but caused some intermittent flickering through upscalers. Once I switched to a CSync cable, the problem went away.

For me, the best-looking setup is going into a PVM. Framemeister is next-best because I can't see any video noise at all, and it kind of smooths out the jail bars being produced by my PCE. OSSC shows a little bit of noise (but it's very faint and only noticeable against certain, lighter-colored large areas), but it also has the sharpest picture and best color. Ultimately, using the CSync cable, every setup I've tried works, and I am very happy with the SSDS3.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Hey RevQuixo, I think VBA may have hacked your forum account. Might want to change your password.
No that was all me.

You might want to be careful that the thread guideline police might take issue with you posting your set-up that didn't work in the same post as the set-ups that did.