Music / Guitar Playing in an Apartment

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
@HellioN - Yeah, I was watching a demo of the mini amp that Hughes and Kettner make, which I think can be switched between 15, 8, and 1 watt. For bass, I have an SVT preamp / DI box and go straight to the computer when I don't want to use my amp. It sounds good enough - I'm not really a fan of direct bass, but it's just so much easier than breaking down my guitar mic and bringing it over to the bass amp and tweaking it for an hour.

Look into a Blackstar Fly3 - they're $60 and they sound nothing like one of those chinsy toy practice amps.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
@SonGohan - Yeah, that's a good idea about the Mark V mini. I love the Mark series tone.

So I saw a demo for that Strymon pedal and said to myself, "I'm buying this and nothing's going to stop me." I opened it up on Sweetwater, saw the price and got real sad :lolz:. Gonna stick with my Hall of Fame for now.

Ha, yeah, it's definitely a pricey pedal. It's the ultimate reverb pedal, though. I'm not a pedal-head by any means. That's a dangerous rabbit hole to go down. The only pedals I use are reverb, delay, and a tube screamer. Maybe a compressor. Still, Strymon makes top quality stuff. If you ever find you have the disposable cash, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'm still working up the courage to buy the Strymon Timeline Delay.

+1 on Blackstar. They make phenomenal stuff. If you don't know the history of them, Blackstar started when a bunch of engineers working at Marshall wanted to make their own company. They broke off, formed Blackstar, which eventually led to Marshall buying the company. If you've ever had the thought "why the hell hasn't Marshall progressed over the years?" it's because it's under the Blackstar name. I think I'd still go with a Mark V 25 if you can. I had the actual Mark V head and was thoroughly impressed with it. I found it to be too involved, though, and you kind of need a degree in engineering to understand how that thing works. I think I counted 40-50 knobs on that thing. The Mark V 25 looks to be a lot more simplified. However, I did see that the thing is retailing at $1,500 new, and you can find a used original Mark V around that price range (and the Mark V has 3 power settings: 90w, 45w, and 10w, which rocks for bedroom tones).

But, hell, don't listen to me. I'll have you mortgaging houses to buy gear.