Pen and Paper RPG Thread

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I have not been playing many board games of late and slowly have been getting in to role playing, which I once, admittedly, derided as well I don't know - nerd shit? It's pretty good stuff though.

I'm currently playing in a Day after Ragnarok Campaign. We're using FATE Core which is more narrative based compared to other systems.

I'm running a FATE campaign for the kids I work with. It's based on the Freeport setting which is high fantasy pirates with a touch of Cthulu. It also serves as a basic DnD to Fate conversion. GMing for kids who don't know shit about role playing has been a good introduction to actually running a game.

Anyone else role playing?

LARPing is still lame tho :emb:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Haven't played in ages, started with the red box d&d and Middle-earth rpg back in the day. My best experiences were with White Wolf games and CoC. We also had a pretty fun beer and pretzels high fantasy Ad&d campaign in the early 2000's

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Started back in 2nd Ed DnD. Played 4th which was great and I hear nothing but great things about 5th.

Currently not playing all my friends are busy to play but if O was gonna play again I would play Runequest. One of the hardest and most narrative driven tabletop I ever played, and my favorite.

Larping is gay.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Did some 5th edition online with Fantasy Grounds software last year. It's nice having references and character management available via software. I thinkt it's more work for GM's, but it allowed us to play with the old crew who live far apart. I have not used Roll20, but that's another popular tool for online pen and paper.

5th edition rules were fine. I didn't like D&D being grid based combat. It sort of takes away the pen and paper aspects, and makes it essentially a tactical RPG half the time.

Not currently playing anything this year. Was going to try and get my fix via podcast sessions, but even the good ones are a hard listen.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Tried a couple sessions with some friends a little over a year ago but just couldn't get into it. I think it is a personality thing for me, I like rules, structure, and limited options, the open ended nature of the game and the lack of a real answer to the question, "But what can I do? just weren't a fit for me.

I'm sure I have over-generalized this game type, but that was the impression I was left with, no big deal, I can stick to tabletop games.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I love D&D (1st and 2nd Edition are still my favorites), but I only play single-player video game adaptations of it these days. My younger brother and I were really into Hero Quest (which was Milton Bradley's super dumbed-down board game ripoff of D&D) when we were kids and we used to make-up our own RPGs to play all the time too (my brother even had a wrestling system he concocted to wage dice-roll matches and tournaments between his M.U.S.C.L.E. figures). Even though I don't play, I still pick up tabletop RPG rule books from time-to-time, especially D&D Monster Manuals, because I love reading about the creatures and settings.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
5th edition rules were fine. I didn't like D&D being grid based combat. It sort of takes away the pen and paper aspects, and makes it essentially a tactical RPG half the time.

I agree. The gridsystem made the focus on combat rather then role playing.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Hero Quest didn't have anything to do with D&D though, it was developed in tandem with Games Workshop, who later on released the splendid Advanced Hero Quest.

@M

20 Year Member
Yeah, I know that it wasn't technically D&D related, I'm just saying that it was more-or-less copying and riding on D&D's success like just about every other high-fantasy tabletop RPG. I still have that thing shoved away in storage somewhere, mostly complete--although my younger brother "ruined" many of the figurines with his less-than-professional paint jobs.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I play D&D with people from work. It's pretty hit or miss how fun it is. We spent one afternoon just rolling for everyone to climb a ladder. I have a Sorcerer right now.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I play in a biweekly 5E game my nephew runs on Thursday nights. It's extremely casual but I have been enjoying myself.

I used to run a lot of games and mine were heavily driven but I decided to focus my creative energies towards writing fiction over running a game because I just don't have time for both.

At any rate, this talk is getting me excited for Gen Con this year.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I play in a biweekly 5E game my nephew runs on Thursday nights. It's extremely casual but I have been enjoying myself.

I used to run a lot of games and mine were heavily driven but I decided to focus my creative energies towards writing fiction over running a game because I just don't have time for both.

At any rate, this talk is getting me excited for Gen Con this year.

You aren't on the twitch channel Thursday night knights are you?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
You aren't on the twitch channel Thursday night knights are you?

No, I honestly have never heard of it.

If I were 'casting my sessions, I'd definitely share it with all my other links.

The only pen and paper 'cast I know about is Critical Role. I met Matthew Mercer at Gen Con last year and it was one of my absolute highlights since I'm such a big Resident Evil fan and he's the voice of Leon. When I went to the seminar, I wondered what he was even doing there, let alone being one of the panelists. I had no idea the 'cast even existed before then.

Super awesome guy, stayed well after he was supposed to leave with a car waiting outside for him just so I could take a picture with him. That was at the end of my Thursday. A good day, a good con.

I've been playing since the beginning, but I will admit that I had no idea how the rules worked until 2E. I actually wrote about my earliest experiences at my blog. I remember it like it was yesterday. I'd intended to share more of memories, and I probably will once I get acclimated to my new job, which gives me the stability I need to pursue my goals while still being able to pay the bills. Benefits are awesome, too.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I never got into it but wish I did. Hero Quest was mentioned, thay was my first experience of any sort of RPG.

I recently scored a free copy of DnD 1983 Red Box revision, complete. I should give it a go. Unfortunately I don’t have anyone to play with.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Any settings or systems you guys have preferred over the years?

I'm thinking about running a Weird War Vietnam game using Savage Worlds.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy

Runequest. It has a more to reality playstyle where every combat CAN actually be life or death for your character. Plus all the bonus combat rules on top of just being one of the most fleshed out world's I have ever played.

I recommend it to everyone.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
I have played all versions of AD&D and really 2nd is great imo if not the best. D&D 5th feels like characters are way overpowered. While 3.5 and pathfinder are very good, they have to many rules.

The 2nd edition universe is so big and so full of fluff it’s astonishing. The stuff is cheap on eBay and the play groups for Facebook,roll20 and fantasy grounds are popular. D&D and AD&D take the cake on the pen and paper stuff for me.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
What classes/(jobs) do you guys play in D&D? I play different ones every campaign.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member

White Wolf's storytelling system was my fave, might not be game-like enough for some though. Twilight:2000's post-limited nuclear war Northern Europe was a pretty koll setting.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
What classes/(jobs) do you guys play in D&D? I play different ones every campaign.

I like alot of classes, from a witch to a paladin even a hard, but my favorite to play is a hot headed barbarian.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I wish I knew people who played Shadowrun. I only played it once in college, and loved the Genesis game. All people want to play is D&D,

@M

20 Year Member
I prefer to play warrior/fighter classes; I've never much cared for mages or thieves. I've always been a "hack and slash" type of guy.

I've never played Shadowrun either, other than the Genesis/SNES games. I've got one of the tabletop rule books collecting dust somewhere, but that's it. I agree that it's got a pretty cool scenario/world going on though. I just remembered that I knew a guy named Larry, when I was in high school, that was really into it and tried to get me to play, but I didn't bite. He was really in love with that RPG's monofilament whip weapons ("whips" made out of thin wire, with weights as the ends, that could slice through just about anything)--he even made some of his own with fishing line tied to rubber balls--which impressed no one, especially not any girls. :D

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I've been playing consistently for the last 10 years or so as a Dungeon Master. 5E has been my favorite edition - mostly because it's so easy to do conversions of early material or non-D&D related material on the fly. It's a joy to play.

Favorite settings are Forgotten Realms (Underdark), Original Gygax G1-3/D1-3 adventures, Rifts!!!, and Call of Cthulhu stuff. I'll play anything really... my favorite game is Burning Wheel. I don't get to play it much, but the rules and writing are fantastic. It's a kind of "how to play RPGs" type of game.

Also big into indie table top RPGs like Lacuna, Polaris (US one), and InSpectres.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I have not been playing many board games of late and slowly have been getting in to role playing, which I once, admittedly, derided as well I don't know - nerd shit? It's pretty good stuff though.

I'm currently playing in a Day after Ragnarok Campaign. We're using FATE Core which is more narrative based compared to other systems.

I'm running a FATE campaign for the kids I work with. It's based on the Freeport setting which is high fantasy pirates with a touch of Cthulu. It also serves as a basic DnD to Fate conversion. GMing for kids who don't know shit about role playing has been a good introduction to actually running a game.

Anyone else role playing?

LARPing is still lame tho :emb:

I've never played FATE, but have read the rules a few times. It looks fantastic! I'm going through the original FUDGE rules right now and trying to get a group together to play a nice hack. I'll be sure to read the FATE rules again as well, seems awesome.