Legend of Success Joe on Blu-ray

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I saw this in passing and was surprised there wasn't any news of it here. There was a Discotek US blu-ray release of this a few days ago as "Tomorrow's Joe." It's in stock at the usual places (Rightstuf, Amazon, RAC, etc.)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You have no idea how long I've been waiting for this and I only just found out now.

antmavel

n00b
This is great news. In france we had only the second volume and it was called "Joe". I really liked it actually, I thought this might have been on blue ray for a while already, it's pretty shocking.

poulet

Quiz Detective
Indeed. Great news. I know only ashita no joe 2.
It's a fabulous anime thanks to dezaki/sugino.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
I got this Discotek Media Blu-ray from amazon.com the other day. Seeing this finally got an official North American release hit a nostalgia chord with me because I used to own movies 1 & 2 on Japanese VHS years ago. It was nice to finally be able to fully understand the story of Joe Yabuki and his rise from street punk to professional boxer.

-The artwork/animation is so so; I think the movie is put together from the early 70's tv anime, think near Devilman 1970's quality. Even my girlfriend passed by and commented on the poor artwork. It does have a certain charm at times though.. and the 2nd movie (not yet released) gets significantly better. I think part 2 was made by the guy who did Golgo 13 the professional.. it has that feel to it.

- Characters and story; this is the strength of this movie for sure.. if u can get passed the artwork there's a great story here and character development. I won't spoil what happens.. but the ending is powerful.

-Apparently Kyo Kusanagi was inspired by Joe Yabuki.. I was immediately reminded of Joe Higashi however.

Last edited:

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
-The artwork/animation is so so; I think the movie is put together from the early 70's tv anime, think near Devilman 1970's quality. Even my girlfriend passed by and commented on the poor artwork. It does have a certain charm at times though.. and the 2nd movie (not yet released) gets significantly better. I think part 2 was made by the guy who did Golgo 13 the professional.. it has that feel to it.

Sold on the Golgo 13 feel alone. I somehow have still never watched any Joe, but I need to change that now that this release is out. Discotek does some quality re-releases. Got their DVDs of the Fatal Fury animes.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Can anyone here take a screenshot of discotek's release? I loved what I saw of the japanese bluray, I just hope it's not cropped 4:3 like some releases are these days.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Can anyone here take a screenshot of discotek's release? I loved what I saw of the japanese bluray, I just hope it's not cropped 4:3 like some releases are these days.

I've been meaning to get around to this. I'm attaching captures from the DVD included in Discotek Media's release. Naturally, the Blu-ray is clearer with more vivid colors. I'm also uploading a scan of my old Japanese VHS insert for this movie. Enjoy:)

discotekmedia.com Tomorrow's Joe The Movie 002.pngdiscotekmedia.com Tomorrow's Joe The Movie 003.pngdiscotekmedia.com Tomorrow's Joe The Movie 004.pngdiscotekmedia.com Tomorrow's Joe The Movie 005.pngdiscotekmedia.com Tomorrow's Joe The Movie 006.pngdiscotekmedia.com Tomorrow's Joe The Movie 007.pngdiscotekmedia.com Tomorrow's Joe The Movie 008.pngdiscotekmedia.com Tomorrow's Joe The Movie 009.pngdiscotekmedia.com Tomorrow's Joe The Movie 010.pngdiscotekmedia.com Tomorrow's Joe The Movie 011.pngdiscotekmedia.com Tomorrow's Joe The Movie 012.pngdiscotekmedia.com Tomorrow's Joe The Movie 013.pngdiscotekmedia.com Tomorrow's Joe The Movie 014.pngdiscotekmedia.com Tomorrow's Joe The Movie 015.pngdiscotekmedia.com Tomorrow's Joe The Movie 016.pngdiscotekmedia.com Tomorrow's Joe The Movie 017.pngdiscotekmedia.com Tomorrow's Joe The Movie 018.pngdiscotekmedia.com Tomorrow's Joe The Movie 019.pngdiscotekmedia.com Tomorrow's Joe The Movie 020.pngdiscotekmedia.com Tomorrow's Joe The Movie 021.pngVHS Ashita No Joe.jpg

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I don't like reading. There is areason it looks like galaxy express which I haven't seen either?

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Looks like they retained most, if not all the grain from the japanese release. When they put out that Galaxy Express 999 DVD collection I'll probably buy both.

ptrix4u2c

Mega Shock!!
I love me some Dezaki. Never played the NG game, but gonna pick up this bluray.