HD retro vision cables for neo geo

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm currently using them on my PC Engine Super SD System 3 and they work great with my Samsung Plasma. I also have the connector for the Neo Geo but depending on your TV, you might still experience issues with games like Pulstar because of the refresh rate. I also have the Snes one's and they work fine on my LCD but not plasma. It all depends on the TV.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I use the HD Retrovision cables on my crt, for every system I can. They work very well, although they tend to be a hair brighter than using my Shinybow converter. Highly recommended.

One thing to keep in mind with HDTV use if that the cables do not so any scaling out timing changes, so some systems that don't use exactly 60 hz may not work. SNES and Neo are two systems that sometimes have issues, and some HDTVs just don't work with 240p over component.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
I received mine a few days ago and have them paired up with an OSSC. It looks beautiful on my AES 3-6 consoles (both with jailbar fix). Unfortunately, my TV only supports line x2 with the default settings. I haven’t looked into optimal settings yet to see if that makes a difference with my TV, but that’s more about OSSC and my TV than HD Retrovision.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
At this point I have 3 x genesis cables and 2 x Snes cables along with Saturn, PSX, Genesis 1 and Atari Jaguar Adapters (which is unofficial). The only system I've had issues with is my Rev 2 SSDS3 which has the diagonal line video noise that some people had with version 1. For some reason I think Rev 2 doesn't like composite sync over video as much as Rev 1 did...at least with my system.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I received mine a few days ago and have them paired up with an OSSC. It looks beautiful on my AES 3-6 consoles (both with jailbar fix). Unfortunately, my TV only supports line x2 with the default settings. I haven’t looked into optimal settings yet to see if that makes a difference with my TV, but that’s more about OSSC and my TV than HD Retrovision.
Why are you using HD Retrovision cables instead of a regular RGB cable? It probably looks fine but you're converting RGB to component then back to RGB, which isn't going to give you quite the image that a cheaper RGB cable would.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Coolest thing about them is you can use y Cables to split them and daisy chain them with no quality loss. So if you only have a few consoles you can buy one cord and use their adapters to make the cable be used on two consoles. If you try that with other cables you will get significant quality loss and reduce the lifespan of your video amp inside your console.

Last edited:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I got my first two HD Retrovision cables in yesterday, and they are fantastic. I tried them on my Sharp Aquos and the quality was awesome, but I had always intended to use them with the Trinitron which look fantastic. Now with the CDX and Saturn set up, I'm looking forward to their Dreamcast component cables as my 32" Aquos doesn't have VGA (oddly, the 52" Aquos Quattron does have VGA).

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
Why are you using HD Retrovision cables instead of a regular RGB cable? It probably looks fine but you're converting RGB to component then back to RGB, which isn't going to give you quite the image that a cheaper RGB cable would.

Easy: Because I don’t have anything else that uses RGB SCART and likely never will. As far as I can tell it’s converted directly to digital for DVI/HDMI without being converted back to RGB.

I have a potential fallback when a particular display does not like the OSSC output. Also, two cables for all my consoles as opposed to having to get quality cables for all my consoles and concern myself with how they are built. I don’t have to worry about whether a particular cable has components at the console side, components at the SCART end, requires components not even present at all, shielding, what type of sync, whether sync needs the be attenuated/cleaned/regenerated/boosted/etc).

For 240p, component and RGB are equivalent. The “conversion” is entirely passive. Quality is no worse than using an encoder/amp to correct non-standard RGB, and most of these consoles do not conform to proper RGB SCART standards at the console’s output. The signal barely gets to go a few inches is no real-world difference versus the console’s original encoder, like the S-ENC chip in an original SHVC SNES/Super Famicom (supports composite, S-video, RGB, and YPbPr).

If my OSSC weren’t an option for a particular display I can still go out and buy a TV today that works with HD Retrovision. The same can’t be said for RGB SCART. Best Buy doesn’t carry old RGB SCART-capable PVMs and I’ve yet to see one show up on Craigslist... ever.

Edit: Don’t need an expensive gSCART switch either. Not only do I already have component switches, but HD Retrovision cables are designed to function correctly when connected together with Y cables. Also, component has MUC more bandwidth than RGBS despite having one fewer cable. That’s why it supports 480p and HD resolutions. The extra bandwidth comes from no longer duplicating the luminance over all three color signals and from determining the third color channel algorithmically from the other two.

For 240p/480i, results are identical, but for 480p and up component is > RGB. For utility on regions without RGB SCART, component > RGB.

Last edited:

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Sweet thanks for the help guys, I'm going to pick them up. Going to use them with Jpn AES on a sony trinitron Via component. Hopefully there is no modding required. Seems like these are the solution I've been waiting for, glad they work well by all accounts here.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You shouldn't need any mods unless you happen to have a system with bad RGB. Keep in mind that he neo av out is mono. If you want stereo the HD Retro cable has an audio input so you could run a cable from the headphone jack into the cable.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
You shouldn't need any mods unless you happen to have a system with bad RGB. Keep in mind that he neo av out is mono. If you want stereo the HD Retro cable has an audio input so you could run a cable from the headphone jack into the cable.

Fuck me, I never noticed that. Thanks for the Tip on the Audio Input. James Modded my Aes for stereo output in the back but I have another unmodded system that this might come in handy with.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
Unless there is unstable air in these cables, this is completely false.

Drunk Bob had his SNES die in 10 minutes when doing this. Granted he had Composite,S-video, and RGB running all at the same time.When you put a Y-splitter on the end of cable and do no amplification beforehand, it it putting another load on the video amp.

Ever have one of those multi-out cables that allows you to connect PS2/GC/Xbox all at the same time? If you ever tried that you would notice that 1.) they warn you not to connect them at the same time 2.)each console that gets plugged in after the first makes the picture extremely dim, even when the other console is off. Reason why is that even when powered off they are still sending voltage depending upon the console in question.

Last edited:

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Drunk Bob...
Sounds like an authoritative source.

Granted he had Composite,S-video, and Component running all at the same time.

You are talking about two different things here. The former is using one retrovision cable with multiple consoles and splitting that cable, via y-connectors. This does no harm to one's video amp.

The latter, "Drunk Bob's" example is using multiple outputs on one-console at the same time which, yes, would put stress on the video output source.

Please tell me if I am reading this wrong.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
I think you're misreading, I said its fine with HDretrovision but regular cables not so much.The Y-adapters im talking about is taking the output of something so you can split it to two video devices like one to a capture card and other to a TV.

Kinda like capturing RGBS from a jamma arcade cabinet and recording simultaneously by directly connecting to the jamma harness without an amp. It is why you see a major brightness shift if you don't use an amp.

Last edited:

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
NRDpqbQ.png

From here:
http://www.hdretrovision.com/vote3rdparty/

Last edited: