SD System won't let me boot HuCards on PC Engine, but does on TG16

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
So this is odd. It's not a big deal for me since I have both consoles and it works great on my Turbografx-16, but I thought I would bring it to everybody's attention.

On my original model white PC Engine, the system boots right to the Super SD System menu even with a HuCard inserted. The HuCards work fine and if you unplug the SD System and plug in an RF cable or the DB Electronics RGB board, the games all boot and play normally. But even if you plug the SD System back in without jarring the HuCard at all, it only boots to the menu.

On my US Turbografx-16 it seems to function as intended. If you boot it up with a game in the system, it boots the game. If you take the game out, it boots to the menu.

So I'll just be leaving my SD System hooked up to my Turbografx. No harm done.

But I'm not sure how or why this is happening. Anyone know what could be going on?

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
That's not right that the SSDS3 boots if you have a HuCard inserted. If I put a chip game into my CoreGrafx, it will boot straight to that instead of the SSDS3. Unless that's a changeable option in the SSDS3's menu system?

famicommander

15 Year Member
That's not right that the SSDS3 boots if you have a HuCard inserted. If I put a chip game into my CoreGrafx, it will boot straight to that instead of the SSDS3. Unless that's a changeable option in the SSDS3's menu system?

Doesn't seem to be a menu option.

Also doesn't make much sense that it changes based on which system I use, considering both systems work fine.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Are you using the same Region Hu Card on both consoles?

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,

This.... the game can’t be read with the wrong region, makes sense as nothing would be detected right?

famicommander

15 Year Member

No. US games in the US system, Japanese games in the Japanese system.

If you read above, I mentioned that the games (on both consoles) work fine when connected with another a/v output like the RF adapter or the DB Electronics external RGB board.

The US Turbografx system boots up US games when inserted, boots the SD System with no games inserted.

The Japanese PC Engine system boots up the SD System menu with a game inserted or no game. But when you use a different a/v output it boots those same games just fine. I've tried multiple different games. Same result. Works fine without the SD System, doesn't work with it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
No. US games in the US system, Japanese games in the Japanese system.

If you read above, I mentioned that the games (on both consoles) work fine when connected with another a/v output like the RF adapter or the DB Electronics external RGB board.

The US Turbografx system boots up US games when inserted, boots the SD System with no games inserted.

The Japanese PC Engine system boots up the SD System menu with a game inserted or no game. But when you use a different a/v output it boots those same games just fine. I've tried multiple different games. Same result. Works fine without the SD System, doesn't work with it.

Do you have another PCE you could try? If it works with your TG16 and Not your PCE than it could be a faulty Pin in the back of the PCE. Try Cleaning the pins on the back of the PCE and try it again. If that doesn't work than try another PCE. I tried my Turbo Everdrive V2 and that works fine.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I believe that all of the HuCard slot lines are tied into pins on the expansion port. If one of the pins is not making contact, or there is a broken trace on your PCE mobo, then I think that would cause the issue you're having.

neodev

Neosd Tech
Do you have another PCE you could try? If it works with your TG16 and Not your PCE than it could be a faulty Pin in the back of the PCE. Try Cleaning the pins on the back of the PCE and try it again. If that doesn't work than try another PCE. I tried my Turbo Everdrive V2 and that works fine.

Yes, it looks like a fault in the card detect pin in the exp port. Ssds3 looks at this pin and if it shows a card is inserted, it disables itself.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Yes, it looks like a fault in the card detect pin in the exp port. Ssds3 looks at this pin and if it shows a card is inserted, it disables itself.

Is that the CDD pin? It's right next to the left and right sound connections, I wonder if that PC Engine has been modded and there's some solder bridging the CDD pin to a nearby pin. Or maybe that pin is bent or something?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Is that the CDD pin? It's right next to the left and right sound connections, I wonder if that PC Engine has been modded and there's some solder bridging the CDD pin to a nearby pin. Or maybe that pin is bent or something?

All the pins are intact and it's a stock, launch system.