Am I A Filthy Casual?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I haven't had much time for my MVS cartridges either, but I did make a point of playing some metal slug 3 last weekend.

I haven't kept up with any neo re-releases since the neo geo station was abandoned on ps3. Every re-release just feels lazier than the last to me. Every generation starts off with the "beloved classics" like ghost pilots and the first world heroes then never gets to the games I would actually like to buy like the real bouts or last blades. But then I would only buy them if they had ggpo netcode and a large player base. At that point I'm better off just loading up fightcade anyway. .... Graphics filters for those who want them and true to the original pixels for the others.

Both of The Last Blades are on Xbox One and Switch. All of the Real Bouts are on Xbox One and PS4.

What sets Hamster's releases apart, for me, is that they're generally better than anything that has come before, except maybe the NeoGeo Station releases. The graphics look crystal clean instead of muddy. They have graphic filter options so you can customize the visuals. They're all MVS ("insert coin") rather than AES ("press start") versions. And they all let you choose between the US and Japanese versions.

They're so much better than the Wii Virtual Console releases. They look better and no game is censored.

I don't fault the Hamster games for not having net play because that's not how they were released originally. I want these versions to be as true to the originals as possible and Hamster seems committed to that philosophy.

Hamster has sold over a million NeoGeo games on the Switch alone, so it seems a lot of people are into them. I doubt any other company has re-invigorated interest in the NeoGeo the way Hamster has.

And that's why, to me at least, it was so surprising to see so little commentary in these forums about what Hamster is doing for NeoGeo fans.

But there have been some excellent, thoughtful responses to my original post, so to the authors of each of those: thanks!

Totino

n00b
OP I'll probably get the SNK 40th anniversary edition on the Switch. But other than that, as a retro collector, I have a hard time accepting games not on their original platforms... They're always missing something, even if it's just the feeling of the original controls or hardware.. That's especially true when it comes to arcade games, it just isn't the same.

Also as others mentioned, they're over milking the cows at this point. Nintendo is of course very guilty of this, charging $8 for digital downloads of 8 bit games that they've already charged you for when they released them on the past few previous console generations, etc. It's kind of insulting at that point.

Last edited:

Turbogfx

Crazed MVS Addict
The Neo Geo library on Switch is probably the nbr 1 reason I am considering buying a current gen console, just to be able to play a decent, backlit, version of NG games on the go.

However, even though I like the fact that Hamster is making these games available on modern consoles, I find it disappointing that there's no online play.
Should this have been a feature, I would have taken the bite long ago, probably.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Probably? wouldn't it be smarter to just get a PSP for that?