Am I A Filthy Casual?

I thought I'd see lots of commentary here about Hamster's releases of the NeoGeo catalogue on Xbone, PS4 and Switch. But I don't see much at all.

And I find that surprising. I'd have thought that Hamster reviving the NeoGeo library and making old games immediately accessible all over again, would be cause for excitement among NeoGeo enthusiasts.

But no! Apparently not.

I've been wondering how that could be.

Do you guys not have current-gen consoles, such that the weekly influx of NeoGeo games is just something that's happening to "other people"?

Or - more likely, I suspect - are emulated NeoGeo games just not good enough for the caliber of NeoGeo fan who frequents these forums?

Maybe it's more than that. Maybe emulation is fine with you guys, but you happen to have the utmost disdain for Hamster's emulations.

So I'm questioning my status as a NeoGeo fan. I've been loving playing NeoGeo games on my PS4. It's been such a blast to revisit these games, some of which I haven't played in over a decade. But maybe the fact that I'm happy with these emulated games betrays my lack of standards, and my undiscerning tastes.

Maybe, in the eyes of NeoGeo elite who post their views on neo-geo.com, I am just a filthy casual.

I am sure some anonymous stranger out there in the vast barren void of the cruel internet will be only too happy to tell me I'm right; that my 20+ AES carts amount to nothing; that if I'm content to play NeoGeo games on anything other than the original hardware, I'm a pretender and a fake.

This is your chance. Have at it. At least, then, I'll understand the silence about Hamster.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
Neo Geo on Rasberry Pi or GTFO...

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Or - more likely, I suspect - are emulated NeoGeo games just not good enough for the caliber of NeoGeo fan who frequents these forums?

They are totally fine. But we have had many generations of consoles who did the job perfectly fine already (Wii, PS2, PSP etc.). Releasing these games over and over again has no other reason than milking the cow 'til the powder comes out. And seriously: Who needs Power Spikes 2 Hamster?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I can't really get excited about yet another rerelease of games I've been playing for decades now in their original form. That said, I have bought a few, Neo Turf Masters on a portable Switch is pretty nice. However I'm more excited about all the Psikyo releases since most of them never had home releases without buying expensive imports.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Neo Geo on Rasberry Pi or GTFO...

This isn't too far off for me. I have an AES with a decent stack of games and a NeoSD cart. I've been rebuying all these games for YEARS on every new console to come out. So, why don't I care about neo on the newest console getting them...again? Because I am done buying these games I've bought a million times before.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I am sure some anonymous stranger out there in the vast barren void of the cruel internet will be only too happy to tell me I'm right; that my 20+ AES carts amount to nothing; that if I'm content to play NeoGeo games on anything other than the original hardware, I'm a pretender and a fake.

This is an outdated attitude, I'm sure few think this way, and even fewer would sincerely vocalize this attitude if they had it.

For as many collectors you have on here, you have just as many "flash carts flash carts, romz, throw your games away" remembers. IMO, only a small percentage of the remembers on here are deserving of the "elite" title.

Also you're in a "revisiting" phase, so these hamster games are playing a major rekindling role.
What significance will these hamster titles carry in a few years?

Last edited:

J-P

NEST Puppet
Yeah, so I think I'm echoing what others have said. It's difficult to be excited by yet another re-release. I also don't own any current gen consoles; so they're somewhat off my buying radar. I did get a few steam releases of Neo Geo stuff and I obtained refunds (they were very poor ports). Some of the PS2 ports were nice (but that was a long time ago). I do hear the Hamster releases are okay (haven't tried them though).

I have nothing against people getting ports on new systems and not playing them on original hardware... that's just silly buggers. Why should it bother me?

I've been playing the carts and Neo stuff in arcades (and later on MVS at home) since the mid-90's. Emulation has indeed come a very long way, but it still depends on your setup when you're doing emu (controls, scaling, minimising display or input lag etc). You can often feel the difference and it can be pretty crap - to those of us who own the originals, why bother putting up with that? I have an expensive emu setup with ArcadeVGA and it cost more than any MVS cart/setup I have cost me (with more hassle and know-how required). If the new ports are good and play nice - all the best to you, hope you enjoy them.

Most of the additional functionality that they 'could' add to a home-port is handled by unibios tweakage; i.e using cheats to set up a faux 'practice mode' in VS. I also find emulation useful for shooters (specific save states for practising boss patterns / loops etc) - even when I own the board or home port. Lagless online battles is something I've yet to experience.

I've got a few of M2's releases on the 3DS and I've played the PS4 version of Garegga. That's a great way to do re-releases. Also like GohanX said; it's better when they are exclusive home releases. If Batrider get's updated and they release Bakraid, I might actually go and buy a PS4. Until then, I'm happy to play stuff as nature intended (for that generation of games). Which is on a CRT, with a stick or in a cab (and preferably with a friend I'm comfortable swearing at).

I also like physical releases --- but that's a whole other argument.

All that bullshit said; Neo Geo forums just really aren't the place I'm going to come to, to talk about (yet another) re-release. Nor am I shocked that they aren't being discussed by other members.

Last edited:

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I haven't kept up with any neo re-releases since the neo geo station was abandoned on ps3. Every re-release just feels lazier than the last to me. Every generation starts off with the "beloved classics" like ghost pilots and the first world heroes then never gets to the games I would actually like to buy like the real bouts or last blades. But then I would only buy them if they had ggpo netcode and a large player base. At that point I'm better off just loading up fightcade anyway.

For me, there are just so many better ways to play these games that already exist. Now, if they put in some effort and made something like third strike: online edition or the ultimate match KOF games, I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Imagine a metal slug game with enemies, levels, vehicles, and weapons from all across the series in a big mash up. Properly "remastered" with widescreen support. Graphics filters for those who want them and true to the original pixels for the others. Maybe with a boss rush mode, time attack mode, 1 life score rush, or other nonsense. maybe a color edit mode for the player characters. Play as clark and ralf in metal slug one. And of course arcade perfect versions of all the originals included.

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Maybe this, maybe that. Maybe you're just a faggot?

Neogeoman106st

Crossed Swords Squire
i like to play games on original hardware if they are not insane price wise(fuck you SSVSP $1000) but if i am going to play a port they need to add something like online play etc. otherwise its not worth getting excited for.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Do you guys not have current-gen consoles, such that the weekly influx of NeoGeo games is just something that's happening to "other people"?

Why would I want to play a port on my PS4 or bone when I can play the real thing on my real hardware? And anyone I know that'd wanna play a Neo game would have Neo hardware to play the real thing on, so I'd not be buyin these port to play/converse with other peeps.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Huh, this thread took a lot longer to devolve into us just eating the OP alive than it usually does, I don't know whether I should be impressed or disappointed.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Huh, this thread took a lot longer to devolve into us just eating the OP alive than it usually does, I don't know whether I should be impressed or disappointed.

Admitting to being a self-deprecating filthy casual increases your life span by 5 replies it seems.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
So I'm questioning my status as a NeoGeo fan. I've been loving playing NeoGeo games on my PS4.

"Meditations on Turning Retard", by Grant Powers:

I had a console named Neo, it died, it died.
NG.com said it was sleeping, it lied, it lied.
Why, oh, why is my Neo dead? Couldn't that PS4 hit me instead?
I had a Hamster named ACA, he died..."

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
"Meditations on Turning Retard", by Grant Powers:

I had a console named Neo, it died, it died.
NG.com said it was sleeping, it lied, it lied.
Why, oh, why is my Neo dead? Couldn't that PS4 hit me instead?
I had a Hamster named ACA, he died..."

I think you might be my favorite member...

owen

n00b
I don’t even know what hamster is man. I used to have an aes with about twenty games also, but then I ended up wanting nothing less than original MVS , because aes felt fake to me after awhile because it wasn’t the actual game in the arcade. So I sold all aes and cd stuff and bought a super gun and some mobos, now I own three cabs, 2 big reds and a 2 slot , when I play neo geo it is the same as walking in to my local tavern 25 years ago except the cab now resides with me in my house. I say step up your commitment to the neo and get actual mvs hardware if you love it, why be casual man! Go all out

owen

n00b
Home version verse arcade , the small differences is all , I prefer insert coin to flash unlike aes

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm the opposite. I leave the Unibios in my MVS in home mode unless needed. Can't beat that elite AES feel.