AES graphics issues

TheKRULIX

n00b
Hey guys,

A few years back I had my AES brought back from the dead and unibios 3.1 was installed. I also had the RGB bypass mod installed.

When I started it up I only had RF connection and the picture was distorted as seen in pic. I thought, no big deal, it is probably because I am not using a better connection method.

I recently got an OSSC and to my dismay the problem was not fixed. It only displays the graphics as red and black.

Everything works properly through my other AES.

Audio works fine through all the ways mentioned.

I've looked online and watched a few youtube vids trying to gain some insight but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

IMG_1112.JPG

TheKRULIX

n00b
Hey James, thanks for replying to the thread. It is one of the earlier boards I think, serial number 019332.

From what I've gathered these are the US gold sysytem's and they can have some difficulty. With no game in and hooked up through the OSSC it shows a red screen. I cant find anything relating to it.

Thanks

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hey James, thanks for replying to the thread. It is one of the earlier boards I think, serial number 019332.

From what I've gathered these are the US gold sysytem's and they can have some difficulty. With no game in and hooked up through the OSSC it shows a red screen. I cant find anything relating to it.

Thanks

If it's an all red screen it means the Work RAM is the problem.

TheKRULIX

n00b
Ok cool, it looks my best bet is to check traces with a multimeter then?
It seemed strange that I found a number of traces (grouped together) that almost looked filed down. Is this possibly from a previous repair? Other than that nothing else jumped out at me.

Thanks

TheKRULIX

n00b
So I took a close look at what I thought were some damaged traces and there was some gunk on them that I scraped away. Tested the console and again solid red screen through the OSSC. Through the RF switch it is still wavy multicolors, like watching squigglies.
I then take the system all apart and locate chips U1 and U2 (work) ram. With my micrometer I test all the traces and they all connect. So I am wondering again, possibly you have an idea, James? The Motherboard is NEO-AES, I didn't know there were different variations of the early AES systems.

TheKRULIX

n00b
Hey guys. I was given the suggestion, download the SMK Dan diagnostic bios, swap it with the universal bios for testing. I'm wondering if anyone reading this agrees or has a different suggestion.
Thank you

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hey guys. I was given the suggestion, download the SMK Dan diagnostic bios, swap it with the universal bios for testing. I'm wondering if anyone reading this agrees or has a different suggestion.
Thank you

You can try it and see what it says.

TheKRULIX

n00b
Thanks man, I've been looking into the next steps. According to the SMKdan site I need to burn a .bin file to a 27c1024 chip. I'm wondering if anyone has one I can buy or if it's a simple process. SMKdan hasn't logged on since 2014 or I'd try him. It's cool to see that he brought something like this to the community for sure.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Thanks man, I've been looking into the next steps. According to the SMKdan site I need to burn a .bin file to a 27c1024 chip. I'm wondering if anyone has one I can buy or if it's a simple process. SMKdan hasn't logged on since 2014 or I'd try him. It's cool to see that he brought something like this to the community for sure.

I sell them on my site in the www.jnxstore.com under Neogeo Home Consoles.

TheKRULIX

n00b
Received the Diagnostic bios very professionally, thank you. After I installed it and booted up the AES it showed me
"Palette ram dead output (lower)". I am aware that this is 1101100 according to the website. Since I have continuity through the traces in and around the chips is it safe to assume that I need to replace the chips?

Thanks again for the help