MVS carts I've found in a scrapyard (warning: graphic content)

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Here's something you don't see very often. I'll try to keep the story short: I've recently been contacted by the widow of an old arcade operator that closed his business a long time ago. She knew I collected pinball machines and she still had a Lethal Weapon 3 in her garage, so she asked me if I was interested. I really wasn't, but I agreed to meet her 'cause I was hopin' to find some MVS carts... in a sad way, I did. Just when I believed there was nothing else to see, I asked her if I could check the dumpster in her back yard where she threw lots of arcade monitors and all kinds of slot machine/arcade parts (yeah, I wish she asked me before throwing out all that good stuff). It was raining and the place was nasty, but I saw a clear MVS cart peeking under a plastic crate: I literally had to walk over the garbage, and when I've reached the cart I've started findin' 1 slot motherboards and other carts under all the water, the filth, the mud and the thick foliage. They've been under these kind of conditions for months, so they're in a rough shape :crying: This is what I've managed to bring home... 7 carts and 5 motherboards. I'll do my best and try to bring the carts back from the dead (the motherboards will be good for parts, no use in tryin' to make them work again) ;) It surely won't be fun: I hate insects, and many little guys made their home in the carts (I could see two of them crawling behind the clear plastic of Super Sidekicks 2)...

Attachments

• photo_1.jpg
    photo_1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 558
  • photo_2.jpg
    photo_2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 558
  • photo_6.jpg
    photo_6.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 556
  • photo_3.jpg
    photo_3.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 556
  • photo_5.jpg
    photo_5.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 561
  • photo_7.jpg
    photo_7.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 566
  • photo_8.jpg
    photo_8.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 560
  • photo_4.jpg
    photo_4.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
You can actually spray those mobos with simple green and some water. Let them dry and I bet they will work.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
So here's a quiz for NeoGeo experts... can you help find out what the hell is this? The cart has almost no label left (the bottom one in the photo under Sonic Wings 3, of course)... I've tried to compare the boards on mvs-scans: it's a PROG42G-1 and the boards are very similar to Soccer Brawl (set 3), but the writing on the label doesn't seem to match. First letter looks like an S followed by an H, or an I, but written with a "square" font.

Attachments

• mistery cart 1.jpg
    mistery cart 1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 540
  • mistery cart 2.jpg
    mistery cart 2.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 541
  • mistery cart 3.jpg
    mistery cart 3.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 541
  • mistery cart 4.jpg
    mistery cart 4.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 538

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
You can actually spray those mobos with simple green and some water. Let them dry and I bet they will work.

Yep, that's more or less what I'm gonna do... First I'll wash them with water and then spray some simple green (the italian equivalent, we don't have that brand here). :D I'll dry the boards with an air compressor, but I think I'll need a final passage with a toothbrush and contact deoxidizer.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I'm pretty sure whatever it is, it's a boot.

Yeah, the black jumper wires and the strange extra connector are definitely a hackjob (though some other parts look legit). Who knows... I'll find out when I put the cart in my cab (hopin' it won't explode).

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
So that's where wyo sources his carts.

Neogeoman106st

Crossed Swords Squire
Here's something you don't see very often. I'll try to keep the story short: I've recently been contacted by the widow of an old arcade operator that closed his business a long time ago. She knew I collected pinball machines and she still had a Lethal Weapon 3 in her garage, so she asked me if I was interested. I really wasn't, but I agreed to meet her 'cause I was hopin' to find some MVS carts... in a sad way, I did. Just when I believed there was nothing else to see, I asked her if I could check the dumpster in her back yard where she threw lots of arcade monitors and all kinds of slot machine/arcade parts (yeah, I wish she asked me before throwing out all that good stuff). It was raining and the place was nasty, but I saw a clear MVS cart peeking under a plastic crate: I literally had to walk over the garbage, and when I've reached the cart I've started findin' 1 slot motherboards and other carts under all the water, the filth, the mud and the thick foliage. They've been under these kind of conditions for months, so they're in a rough shape :crying: This is what I've managed to bring home... 7 carts and 5 motherboards. I'll do my best and try to bring the carts back from the dead (the motherboards will be good for parts, no use in tryin' to make them work again) ;) It surely won't be fun: I hate insects, and many little guys made their home in the carts (I could see two of them crawling behind the clear plastic of Super Sidekicks 2)...

I just Died a little on the inside......

enjoy the games you managed to save from a watery grave.

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
Just put them in the dish washer with no soap and let them dry a few days. I'm being serious washed many of video cards, and mother boards from over clocking. You can dry them in the oven, but better to just let them dry.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I just Died a little on the inside......

enjoy the games you managed to save from a watery grave.

Thanks... still don't know if they'll work, but at least I'll give them a proper funeral. They didn't deserve to end like that.

Just put them in the dish washer with no soap and let them dry a few days. I'm being serious washed many of video cards, and mother boards from over clocking. You can dry them in the oven, but better to just let them dry.

Didn't know that, thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
If there was a battery on the mother board than it's prob. Fucked. Always take batteries off before washing forgot to add that. Who knows tho if there was a battery it could be dead.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Finally... we know where Yaton gets ALL of his stuff from!

If you want to dry the PCB's effectively warm an oven to 150C and turn it off then leave the PCB inside for a couple hours. Simply letting them sit to dry is okay if you've attacked it with a compressor but a good bake = 100% leaving no time at all for water to sit.

Last edited:

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Finally... we know where Yaton gets ALL of his stuff from!

If you want to dry the PCB's effectively warm an oven to 150C and turn it off then leave the PCB inside for a couple hours. Simply letting them sit to dry is okay if you've attacked it with a compressor but a good bake = 100% leaving no time at all for water to sit.

That's an excellent advice, but I can't let those things anywhere near my oven - now they're relatively clean, but there were all kinds of bugs inside (mostly dead, some alive): spiders, spider eggs, a centipede and even some small cockroach-like insects that will haunt my nightmares forever (I'll post photos). I'll use the compressor and keep everything away from the kitchen :lolz:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
This goes to show the level of incivility and lack of respect for the environment in large parts of Italy. This was in the south, right?

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
This goes to show the level of incivility and lack of respect for the environment in large parts of Italy. This was in the south, right?

Well, strangely enough it was in the north... but to be fair, the lady told me she'll have someone move all this stuff in a regular waste dump.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
That's probably a puzzle bobble boot. The 4 meg [otp] eproms are a dead giveaway.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
Wow, poor carts. Such a sad scene forsure. Were you able to revive any of em by chance?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Sometimes it's good to face the truth. Still...

Anyway, there was a similar case in Germany/Worms. Prepare for some Blair Witch footage:

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Wow, poor carts. Such a sad scene forsure. Were you able to revive any of em by chance?

I'm glad to say... yes! I've only had time to work on two of them, so I chose the best titles and put the bootlegs on hold for now. Both worked flawlessly at the first try :) See below:

NvUCIr8.jpg

pI6dsVA.jpg

mLqCkCn.jpg

v3bBPjZ.jpg

g8vyeBz.jpg

cFwqpyj.jpg

Last edited:

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Wow, those carts are pretty much indestructible it seems. Great job!

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
@joala @Gaston Thanks! Now I'll have to create a repro label for Sonic Wings 3 (I can only find the Aero Fighters 3 version) ;) Next cart: Metal Slug... stay tuned!

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
@joala @Gaston Thanks! Now I'll have to create a repro label for Sonic Wings 3 (I can only find the Aero Fighters 3 version) ;) Next cart: Metal Slug... stay tuned!

Could these be the worst condition carts brought back from the dead on N-G.com??