MVS carts I've found in a scrapyard (warning: graphic content)

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
It's amazing how just doing some simple cleaning can make things work, even when they were in a trash heap.

Kind of helps to reassure you that your MVS carts should last a very, very long time.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Thanks for your comments, everyone!

Unexpectedly, I've got one more cart to show you. Remember when I wrote that Street Hoop had a "shady repair" and I didn't want to put that in my cab? That was me bein' a total n00b :lolz: I've mistaken that blue capacitor for a repair, but it's absolutely original and 100% normal, as depicted on mvs-scans (I still have to understand its function, but I'm sure someone on this forum could enlighten me).

So, here it is: after a good cleaning, the last original cart saved from the mud (not a rare or valuable game, but a very enjoyable one) :)

vbe7MLt.jpg

Kgsxyl9.jpg

Ih7XB1b.jpg

Last edited:

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Thanks for your comments, everyone!

Unexpectedly, I've got one more cart to show you. Remember when I wrote that Street Hoop had a "shady repair" and I didn't want to put that in my cab? That was me bein' a total n00b :lolz: I've mistaken that blue capacitor for a repair, but it's absolutely original and 100% normal, as depicted on mvs-scans (I still have to understand its function, but I'm sure someone on this forum could enlighten me).

So, here it is: after a good cleaning, the last original cart saved from the mud (not a rare or valuable game, but a very enjoyable one) :)

vbe7MLt.jpg

Kgsxyl9.jpg

Ih7XB1b.jpg

Glad you got all the carts working.

Are you planning to go back for another look and see if you find any other games?

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Glad you got all the carts working.

Are you planning to go back for another look and see if you find any other games?

Yeah, that's was I was planning to do, so I've recently phoned the lady. She told me she's already moved some of the stuff to the dump - that's bad, 'cause I wanted to dig a bit deeper before she touched anything. Now I'm not sure another visit would be worth the effort (and the gas for the trip)... she assured me there were no MVS carts, and she promised she'd tell me if something else comes up in the next big move, but I obviously can't count on her "untrained" eyes. If I'm very, very lucky - and if there really are more carts - she'll spot them and phone me, but it's all quite improbable at this point.

rgarla.tn550

New Challenger
That's absolutely amazing man! Good job on the resurrection. I can't believe they worked after being exposed to the elements like that.

Martyr

n00b
Good job cleaning those carts, it looks like they were made to withstand some horrors.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Golf clap.
Very cool man, ultimate resurrection,!
That's absolutely amazing man! Good job on the resurrection. I can't believe they worked after being exposed to the elements like that.
Good job cleaning those carts, it looks like they were made to withstand some horrors.
Love this post. Very cool to see these carts salvaged.

Thanks guys ;) I've decided to clean the motherboards and see what happens. This time I'm not very optimistic about the results (more things can go wrong, especially if the batteries leaked), but it's worth giving a try. I've kept them in a sealed box, hopin' to starve to death all the little bastards that made their home inside :D They should be dead by now... at least, I hope so (I can handle spiders, but I can't stand anything that's even remotely similar to a coakroach).

I'll post some photos if you're interested, later!

Last edited:
Please do post some photos of the mother boards, even if the repair comes to nothing. Following your progress is pretty much my favourite thing on the internet at the moment. It's like the Atari land fill movie but with a system I actually care about.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Please do post some photos of the mother boards, even if the repair comes to nothing. Following your progress is pretty much my favourite thing on the internet at the moment. It's like the Atari land fill movie but with a system I actually care about.

Wow, I surely wasn't expecting this level of enthusiasm (but I know what you mean, there's something deeply satisfying in this kind of "lost treasure" stories, even if they're about a bunch of relatively cheap MVS carts). Glad you're enjoyin' the thread, let's move on ;)

First of all, a little correction if you've followed the thread from the start: I've only recovered four boards from the scrapyard, not five. Guess I was so excited to find live bugs running on my floor that I forgot how to count. Let's see what we have, before any cleaning...

An MV-1FZ board:

xwxrGwT.jpg

Mud and dead leaves...

aH6FeCR.jpg

Another MV-1FZ:

i5Uaidw.jpg

Here you can see a spider cocoon, and lots of white... and hairy... stuff... I don't wanna know what that is.

UHw1oNJ.jpg

An MV-1A board:

eUMgCRI.jpg

...and my favorite of the bunch, a big, beautiful MV-1F board. Doesn't look too bad on this side...

8RdfFIE.jpg

...but this side took some damage. I guess it was completely soaked, the square "padding" (however you call those things) is bloated and it's peeling off. The screws are very rusty.

KtgViAT.jpg

To my surprise, none of the batteries seems to have leaked (at least, at a superficial look)! That's all for now, I don't know when I'll have time to start cleaning but I'll be sure to post some photos of the process. Later!

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
Did you manage to save the shells or did you get replacement shells? You'll at least need to print/buy some new end labels.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Did you manage to save the shells or did you get replacement shells? You'll at least need to print/buy some new end labels.

Yep, I've saved the shells. Of course they're heavily scratched (no surprise here... I guess they were like that even before they were thrown in the scrapyard), but after a quick Novus 2 pass they don't look too bad.
I've also managed to save the original Breakers label, now I'll work on the repro labels for the other carts.

iFpE0ce.jpg

5rvStmU.jpg

t8x91Wb.jpg

By the way, I've decided I'll swap the worst shell of the bunch with a much better shell from an horrendous Bust a Move Again bootleg cart I had lying around. ;) That's all!

1Q7B3z5.jpg

Macab0ne

n00b
Awesome thread, its always nice to see these things not just waste away. Were you able to make any progress with the motherboards?

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Awesome thread, its always nice to see these things not just waste away. Were you able to make any progress with the motherboards?

Thanks! I've only had time to work on one motherboard, and it doesn't work (I get a fixed purple screen with some random text blocks)... I wasn't really surprised, the Jamma connector is in bad shape (lots of oxidation). I'll try to do a bit of resoldering and see what happens...

Macab0ne

n00b
If you are getting something out of it I guess there is still some hope it might be salvageable yet. Good luck!

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Great thread! on the mobo's, if they don't work, at least save the plastic protective covers.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Score, Congrats on the Mr. Do!

I’m not sure if any of you remember, but I found an AES deck in a trash heap during a pouring rain when I was in Japan. Took it home, dried it out and it worked perfectly. :)

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
Wow, what a find !!! It's great you were able to salvage a bit of that.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
If you are getting something out of it I guess there is still some hope it might be salvageable yet. Good luck!

Thanks ;) I'll do some other test, but if it requires way too much work (like changing chips) I'll pass... after all, I have many, many other spare boards for my cab.

Great thread! on the mobo's, if they don't work, at least save the plastic protective covers.

Sure, I'll save everything (boards and plastic cover), you never know what you might need for repairs - and I'm sure there's still lots of working chips to salvage. The poor things will never go back to the dumpster, that's a promise :D

Score, Congrats on the Mr. Do!

I’m not sure if any of you remember, but I found an AES deck in a trash heap during a pouring rain when I was in Japan. Took it home, dried it out and it worked perfectly. :)

Great story! Guess these machines were built to last. Well, that's not always the case... I've found my AES with two Neo CD controllers and five games at a local flea market, but it's completely dead and I don't know if it'll ever work again (still one hell of a deal, I won't complain there...).

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Fingers crossed at least one of the mobos working. That would be awesome.

Metal Slug76

Cheng's Errand Boy
This is a great story with a happy ending for these carts. I can only imagine how many of these MVS carts have suffered a similar fate without being rescued.