You better go get your $65 if you purchase a fat Ps3

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Err not really what? That the dreamcast was one of the most successful launches or they killed it prematurely or four is kinda crowded though?

"His 50 foot sprint was one of the fastest a person has ever ran..."
"But he didn't even the finish the race, he fell flat on his face 100 feet in and it was a 5K run"
"Yeah, but that first 50' was amazing..."

The DC was a monumental commercial failure, it was released in the US in Sept of 99 and officially announced for discontinuation in Jan of 2001...

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
"His 50 foot sprint was one of the fastest a person has ever ran..."
"But he didn't even the finish the race, he fell flat on his face 100 feet in and it was a 5K run"
"Yeah, but that first 50' was amazing..."

The DC was a monumental commercial failure, it was released in the US in Sept of 99 and officially announced for discontinuation in Jan of 2001...
I don't buy that narrative. The DC was everywhere, incredibly popular in 2000. It died an early death due to the ease of piracy, and Sega pulled the plug prematurely to publish for other consoles instead. It was damn popular, and would have pulled respectable numbers in that generation if allowed to live out its life. Would've eaten into the other four consoles' sales some.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I don't buy that narrative. The DC was everywhere, incredibly popular in 2000. It died an early death due to the ease of piracy, and Sega pulled the plug prematurely to publish for other consoles instead. It was damn popular, and would have pulled respectable numbers in that generation if allowed to live out its life. Would've eaten into the other four consoles' sales some.

Probably but that's like saying generic brand tuna is eating some of the sales of name brand tuna, It's still shit tuna.

Either way...

Dreamcast Sales : 9.13 million
Playstation 2 Sales : 155 million

The word failure can be used here.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The word can be used, but how's it fair to compare the DC's sales from 2 years or so versus the entire 10+ year life of that generation's leader?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The word can be used, but how's it fair to compare the DC's sales from 2 years or so versus the entire 10+ year life of that generation's leader?

I think it's more a comment on feelings skewing your opinion of an item despite data. We all know and fully respect that people love the Saturn and the Dreamcast, but it doesn't mean they were any kind of success. Combined they didn't even move 20 million units, which is abysmal. In comparison, the WiiU, which is widely known for being a failure, moved 13 million units. The Gamecube, another failure, moved over 20 million.

It's ok to love failed consoles, I just try to realize when one was a failure (I love the GC, BTW).

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I don't really have a personal affinity for the DC. I let my brother amass a collection for it. I only owned 2 games. Maybe it's just the geeky media I paid attention to at the time, but the DC seemed to be everywhere and lots of people had one. After a successful, North American launch day, it seemed like Sega had reclaimed its place on store shelves.

If not for piracy and the company's shift in ambitions, there was no need to pull the plug.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I don't really have a personal affinity for the DC. I let my brother amass a collection for it. I only owned 2 games. Maybe it's just the geeky media I paid attention to at the time, but the DC seemed to be everywhere and lots of people had one. After a successful, North American launch day, it seemed like Sega had reclaimed its place on store shelves.

If not for piracy and the company's shift in ambitions, there was no need to pull the plug.

This is a pretty neat read, if you're interested:

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4128/the_rise_and_fall_of_the_dreamcast.php?print=1

It was complicated. I always viewed the DC like I did the Gamecube. I really feel both were superb consoles with tons of innovative ideas behind them. Sadly, Sega was just financially outgunned by Sony and Nintendo...and once thy caught wind that the money juggernaut Microsoft was entering the console race, they knew time was up. Better to join them, then lose to them.

In the end, no one could have stopped the titlewave that was the PS2.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Smoke, have you read Service Games: the rise and fall of Sega?
Actually, anyone who hasn't, should. It's a great book, and the dreamcast Era of it is complicated as hell and really shows you how much internal struggle Sega cultivated within it's own company.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

Nah, the DC was really popular among the hardcore gamers, but all the more casual fans (which made up the majority of the game buying public) were waiting for the PS2. The writing was already on the wall by the time the bootlegging was becoming commonplace.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Smoke, have you read Service Games: the rise and fall of Sega?
Actually, anyone who hasn't, should. It's a great book, and the dreamcast Era of it is complicated as hell and really shows you how much internal struggle Sega cultivated within it's own company.

Let's all just not read my post :lolz:

DC had a great launch and would've been fine if it had copy protection and Sega hadn't killed it off prematurely to make software for their competitors. It also would've been a more crowded generation, with four consoles the whole time.

Err, not really.

I highly recommend Service Games: The Rise and Fall of Sega if you want to learn about their history. It's extremely detailed and goes deep into their strategy against the SNES, the Genesis attachments debacle, Saturn failing in the West, the rivalry between Blackbelt and Katana, and what truly killed the DC.

Err not really what? That the dreamcast was one of the most successful launches or they killed it prematurely or four is kinda crowded though?

Of course it had a great launch. But...

"...would've been fine if it had copy protection..." - Piracy had a negligible impact on sales compared to the bigger issues.

Those issues are:
1. The PS2. If I were to make a pie chart, this would take up 80% of it. The PS2 was more powerful, had more hype, and most importantly, had a DVD player. The PS2 killed Sega as a console creator, period.

2. Internal issues. There was a huge rivalry between the US and Japanese units of Sega with open mutiny taking place on a regular basis. This led to all sorts of bad decisions.

3. Library. Yes, the 2K games were awesome, but the DC didn't have EA's sports games, it didn't have much of the "mature" content that the PS2 had, etc.

4. Marketing. Again, it ties back to the PS2, which was marketed as this badass machine that Sadam was hoarding so he could calculate ballistic trajectories. Sega was... Sega.

I'm obviously leaving out a million other things, but these are the main issues that killed the Dreamcast, NOT piracy.

"...Sega...killed it off prematurely..."

Prematurely?? The had NO money left. You're implying they cut their losses and threw the baby out with the bath water. No way. It was either maintain the Dreamcast for another 6 months or a year and go out of business, or kill it off and maybe not go out of business.

By "would've been fine" I think you're also arguing that the DC could have held its own against the PS2, the Xbox AND the GC. There was zero chance of that given the capabilities of the DC and the *relative* lack of support. Yes, Capcom put their full force behind the Dreamcast. But they were never going to put Devil May Cry on the Dreamcast. Square-Enix wasn't going to publish anything. Konami didn't put out anything worth mentioning and they certainly weren't going to put out an enhanced Metal Gear Solid or MGS 2 or Silent Hill 2 on the DC. It didn't have GTA 3 - one of the biggest system sellers of the generation.

Dreamcast is my favorite console of that generation. But given what the mainstream market wanted, there was no way it could've survived against the PS2, let alone the all three of its competitors.

Last edited:

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Actually fakeXsound, you're likely the reason I rented that book (but I was being lazy and didn't scroll up to see if you recommended it in this thread or another one) either way, thank you for that. I devoured it in 2 nights. It was full of grammatical errors, but I immediately forgave it after reading the end where I learned that the whole thing involved tracking down the guy who originally wrote the first 2/3 of the writing and convincing him to finish the story.

So yeah, thanks dude!

fake

15 Year Member
Actually fakeXsound, you're likely the reason I rented that book (but I was being lazy and didn't scroll up to see if you recommended it in this thread or another one) either way, thank you for that. I devoured it in 2 nights. It was full of grammatical errors, but I immediately forgave it after reading the end where I learned that the whole thing involved tracking down the guy who originally wrote the first 2/3 of the writing and convincing him to finish the story.

So yeah, thanks dude!

Ha, no prob! When I was writing for a gaming site, he reached out directly and I wasn't expecting much but the book blew me away with how detailed it was. Definitely needs some light editing though.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
NEVER!
still rockin a BC compatible model.
not in the market for gimped consoles ripped of their true backward hardware capacity/capability.
hardware upkeep is the objective, :D
besides, $ony is FAR from amicable when it comes to warranties...:mad:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Yep, $10.07 here too. It’s better than nothing, but not what we were promised.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
The infighting was what really damaged Sega IMO. Yeah the PS2 ruled that generation hands down but if Sega had not been at war with itself they could of changed tac and come back in full force much like Nintendo did.

Unfortunately infighting led to lots of stupid decisions from the 32X ono.

They were really ahead of the times and had so many amazing ideas that nobody else even dared to try.

I wonder what would of been if things had been different but it is what it is.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
Got my $10.07 check yesterday, what a joke. The only check that tops this one is a federal tax refund check I got years ago for a grand total of $1.00.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
$10.07 check received here as well yesterday. Not really a surprise. I think the settlement was for "up to" $60-something.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yep, $10.07 here too. It’s better than nothing, but not what we were promised.

Got my $10.07 check yesterday, what a joke. The only check that tops this one is a federal tax refund check I got years ago for a grand total of $1.00.

$10.07 check received here as well yesterday. Not really a surprise. I think the settlement was for "up to" $60-something.

:keke:

I shouldn't find this amusing...but I do. $10...what a joke.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug

I find it amusing. It's almost worth just keeping the check as a joke. I never cared to run another OS on my PS3, so when I got the e-mail about the lawsuit, I just figured free money.

fake

15 Year Member
Got mine yesterday as well. What a joke. I'll be putting this toward the Switch Mega Drive collection so I give Sony's money to both Sega and Nintendo.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

That's what class-action lawsuits are, a joke. But how many hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people got ten bucks each? Sucks for the company.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I’ve been involved with a couple different class action suits, and this is so far the most I’ve gotten from one. Ten bucks is ten bucks.