You better go get your $65 if you purchase a fat Ps3

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Nothing on my end. Got big plans though.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I could really use the money, I might have to sell a custom painted purple gameboy advance SP to pay for a medical expense!

I'm trying to remember the name of that member who really liked My Little Pony and begged his wife to allow him to buy a light saber...

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
giphy.gif

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Something I read on the web about it:

As of June 8, 2018, the Court granted final approval of the Settlement. There has been an appeal filed to this ruling which has delayed any distribution. The plaintiffs have moved to dismiss the appeal and that motion is currently pending. At this time we do not know when the appeal will be resolved. Please continue to monitor this website for updates regarding the case.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
65 bucks to a couple million people. Only in America, baby. I hope the company thar birthed PlayStation doesn't have to pay a single jerk anything.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
If they had not given birth to PlayStation Sega would still be in the Hardware business.

They advertised a feature on the box of their PlayStation 3 that said it would run other os "linux" shortly after people got it running they blocked the feature so it wouldnt show up in the menu anymore.

Let's go back to the PlayStation 2 before it was released they leaked out false information about it claiming that is was going to have a one gigahertz processor (computers at the time hadnt even reliably broken the 1ghz benchmark) , play and go online and run linux/ do computer stuff (basically. Replace the pc) . It killed Dreamcast sales

20 years later Sony Computer Entertainment video game systems never really ran linux or replaced the pc.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
PS2 killed the Dreamcast because Sega didn't know what consumers wanted. PS2 > DC

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
DC had a great launch and would've been fine if it had copy protection and Sega hadn't killed it off prematurely to make software for their competitors. It also would've been a more crowded generation, with four consoles the whole time.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
PS2 killed the Dreamcast because Sega didn't know what consumers wanted. PS2 > DC

The Dreamcast was ahead of its time with inventive games, online play, and integration. But everyone wanted a DVD player instead. These days online features are expected and most people don't give a crap about physical movies.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
DC had a great launch and would've been fine if it had copy protection and Sega hadn't killed it off prematurely to make software for their competitors. It also would've been a more crowded generation, with four consoles the whole time.

Err, not really.

I highly recommend Service Games: The Rise and Fall of Sega if you want to learn about their history. It's extremely detailed and goes deep into their strategy against the SNES, the Genesis attachments debacle, Saturn failing in the West, the rivalry between Blackbelt and Katana, and what truly killed the DC.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Err, not really.

I highly recommend Service Games: The Rise and Fall of Sega if you want to learn about their history. It's extremely detailed and goes deep into their strategy against the SNES, the Genesis attachments debacle, Saturn failing in the West, the rivalry between Blackbelt and Katana, and what truly killed the DC.

Err not really what? That the dreamcast was one of the most successful launches or they killed it prematurely or four is kinda crowded though?

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Err not really what? That the dreamcast was one of the most successful launches or they killed it prematurely or four is kinda crowded though?

Of course it had a great launch. But...

"...would've been fine if it had copy protection..." - Piracy had a negligible impact on sales compared to the bigger issues.

Those issues are:
1. The PS2. If I were to make a pie chart, this would take up 80% of it. The PS2 was more powerful, had more hype, and most importantly, had a DVD player. The PS2 killed Sega as a console creator, period.

2. Internal issues. There was a huge rivalry between the US and Japanese units of Sega with open mutiny taking place on a regular basis. This led to all sorts of bad decisions.

3. Library. Yes, the 2K games were awesome, but the DC didn't have EA's sports games, it didn't have much of the "mature" content that the PS2 had, etc.

4. Marketing. Again, it ties back to the PS2, which was marketed as this badass machine that Sadam was hoarding so he could calculate ballistic trajectories. Sega was... Sega.

I'm obviously leaving out a million other things, but these are the main issues that killed the Dreamcast, NOT piracy.

"...Sega...killed it off prematurely..."

Prematurely?? The had NO money left. You're implying they cut their losses and threw the baby out with the bath water. No way. It was either maintain the Dreamcast for another 6 months or a year and go out of business, or kill it off and maybe not go out of business.

By "would've been fine" I think you're also arguing that the DC could have held its own against the PS2, the Xbox AND the GC. There was zero chance of that given the capabilities of the DC and the *relative* lack of support. Yes, Capcom put their full force behind the Dreamcast. But they were never going to put Devil May Cry on the Dreamcast. Square-Enix wasn't going to publish anything. Konami didn't put out anything worth mentioning and they certainly weren't going to put out an enhanced Metal Gear Solid or MGS 2 or Silent Hill 2 on the DC. It didn't have GTA 3 - one of the biggest system sellers of the generation.

Dreamcast is my favorite console of that generation. But given what the mainstream market wanted, there was no way it could've survived against the PS2, let alone the all three of its competitors.

Last edited:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
5ddc8a2b3b6d241d5948017af0fbf8c5.jpg

Time for a new class action suit! Got this gem in today’s mail. Can’t wait to get my check for $4.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Something I read on the web about it:

As of June 8, 2018, the Court granted final approval of the Settlement. There has been an appeal filed to this ruling which has delayed any distribution. The plaintiffs have moved to dismiss the appeal and that motion is currently pending. At this time we do not know when the appeal will be resolved. Please continue to monitor this website for updates regarding the case.

UPDATE:

Per the class action website:

"At this time, it is expected that payments to all Class Members that have submitted valid Claims will be mailed in early November of 2018."