You better go get your $65 if you purchase a fat Ps3

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
http://www.otherossettlement.com/

Not big into class action lawsuits myself but this one pissed me off.

I just got Linux running on my system after buying a new hd and usb stick then not even 10 days later was forced into a upgrade that basically hid the partition. 20gb or whatever totally lost. Oh well I'm about to hack that thing anyday now.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Do I need a sales receipt to collect

You do not, you just need the serial and when and where you bought it if you can provide that. I think they are trying to weed out people that bought one used. Also, it seems silly but you need to "prove" to them that you had every intention of using the "OtherOS" feature. I mean, you can just say "Yes I was". Pretty easy and it's just a matter of filling out a questionnare.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Just filled it out.

Now where's the claim for all phat PS3's I've ever seen/own sounding like a friggin jet engine as the fan kicks in (while they most likely overheat)? (seriously though, if anybody has a fix for this I would love to know - mine still works just sounds like shit).

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
What if you bought a jap unit at launch from a hong kong ebay reseller? :keke:

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
http://www.otherossettlement.com/

Not big into class action lawsuits myself but this one pissed me off.

I just got Linux running on my system after buying a new hd and usb stick then not even 10 days later was forced into a upgrade that basically hid the partition. 20gb or whatever totally lost. Oh well I'm about to hack that thing anyday now.

They removed it because people were making supercomputers out of Ps3s. Sony was taking such a big loss on the ps3 they had to stop the bleeding i guess. Here is a good example:

https://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-playstation-3s-supercomputer.html

Sony needed to make the money back on the games which isn't going to happen when the Air Force connects 1760 ps3s together. At a $200 loss per console, that means Sony lost $352,000. It costed the US Air Force 5-10% of the cost it would have if they used off the shelf components. Thats fucking crazy.

That being said, i still have my dead 40 gb model. I remember where i bought it, and the date within a month or two but not sure if thats enough. It would be on my Visa account somewhere though. Not sure if they keep records for 11 years though

It sucks, but there was a reason for it.

Last edited:

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
i still have my dead 40 gb model. I remember where i bought it, and the date within a month or two but not sure if thats enough. It would be on my Visa account somewhere though. Not sure if they keep records for 11 years though

You don't need to provide them with a receipt. Either the serial number off the PS3, your PSN account number, or PSN email address or something like that (I gave them the serial number and that's all). Submit ONE of those and you're good to go.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
I threw mine up there...I had to repair that damned 60 GB model multiple times, the least they can do is pay me back some for my troubles :p
Problem is I don't have the serial number anymore because I junked it after trying to get that thing working so often...hopefully I can get something from it.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Submitted mine, thanks OP for the reminder (and dollar amount that makes it worth it). Not difficult at all.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Never had an issue with my 60GB OG not working. It's also quieter than an original 360.

But yeah, removing Other OS was bullshit.

They removed it because people were making supercomputers out of Ps3s. Sony was taking such a big loss on the ps3 they had to stop the bleeding i guess. Here is a good example:

https://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-playstation-3s-supercomputer.html

Sony needed to make the money back on the games which isn't going to happen when the Air Force connects 1760 ps3s together. At a $200 loss per console, that means Sony lost $352,000. It costed the US Air Force 5-10% of the cost it would have if they used off the shelf components. Thats fucking crazy.

That being said, i still have my dead 40 gb model. I remember where i bought it, and the date within a month or two but not sure if thats enough. It would be on my Visa account somewhere though. Not sure if they keep records for 11 years though

It sucks, but there was a reason for it.

This is not true at all. Yes, Sony was losing money per unit based on sales for superclusters. But that is a negligible percentage of the sales base. It's true that Sony removed the feature from Slim models before removing OtherOS completely, but I'd say they knew well ahead of the Slim's release that they would be removing the feature. The reason Sony removed OtherOS was that George Hotz gained hypervisor access (AKA accessing the RSX GPU, which had been intentionally walled off by Sony) and direct read / write access to RAM.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I was about to sign up then I remembered I threw my fat PS3 in the garbage. Had been sitting on a counter for 2+ years. Too fucking lazy to sell it or donate, god I'm worthless. Tossed out a bunch of other game shit too.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
My PS3 still has Linux on it right now. Just can't boot into it.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I bought one with the backwards compatibility hardware for PS2 built in. Think I bought it on the day Ninja Gaiden Sigma was released for it. I will have to go and get my serial number.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Sony doesn't owe me anything because I don't care for their products, much less a brand new PS3 at launch.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
It's too bad this never went to court in Canada, $65 would have been nice. I guess my consolation is that my OG PS3 60GB is still alive and well.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Is there a limit? i have 2 to 3 fat ps3 i think.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I was about to sign up then I remembered I threw my fat PS3 in the garbage. Had been sitting on a counter for 2+ years. Too fucking lazy to sell it or donate, god I'm worthless. Tossed out a bunch of other game shit too.

damn duf you can't even put that shit on craigs forlike 50 shipped :cool:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

I'm guilty of this also though not with a ps3.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I just filled out a claim. I own Two Phat Ps3's. The Launch one with the PS2 compatibility and another one without the Ps2 Compatibility. Could I file a claim for both or just one?

Would be nice to get something back for these since I paid a pretty penny for the Launch one.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Next time I'll put it up for free, leave it on the street.

I gave my PS3 to a friend who hasn't really played anything bar Nethack and Championship manager for the last decade, now he's a Dark Souls addict :D

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
I have a fat PS3 I imported from the US. I'm guess I'm out of luck here then. Unless someone want to help me with the claim.

gusmoney

10 Year Member
Where is my money?!?

I've got grails to buy.

gusmoney

10 Year Member
Bump, I haz family, anyone get their money?

Settlement FAQ said:
Judge Gonzalez Rogers will hold a Final Approval Hearing on May 29, 2018 to decide whether to approve the Settlement. If Judge Gonzalez Rogers approves the Settlement in a Final Judgment and there are no objections to the Settlement or appeals, the cash payments will be made approximately 65 days thereafter. However, it is possible there may be objections and/or appeals related to the final approval, any attorneys’ fees or costs awarded, or any incentive award to the Class Representatives. It is always uncertain whether and how these appeals will be resolved and resolving them may take time, perhaps more than a year. This website will be updated with current Settlement information including if final approval is entered and the date on which cash payments will be made. Please be patient.

Should have read the fine print. With optimal conditions as outlined above, it looks like August 2, 2018 is the soonest that payments would be released.

Last edited: