MVS vertical line problem after battery leak

gamesboro

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hello all,

I have recently got around to fixing up my 2-slot and it had a host of serious issues. I have managed to solve all of them with the exception of vertical lines through sprites and backgrounds as you can see below.

Mark of the Wolves looking all jacked up

I believe this has been caused by a previous leaking battery that I have recently replaced with a super capacitor. Here is a picture of it post super cap.

Green crap on stuff

I have used QD Contact Cleaner to remove most of the green crap, but this problem is still present. My current thought is that the bad battery has had an impact on the NEO-ZMC2 in some way because of how close it is to the battery.

This matches with what I have read in other posts regarding this type of issue but I still do not know how to resolve it. I'm very new to tracking down problems on boards like this.

I spoke with miisalo in the chat for a moment about this and he said it is most likely the C-ROM data lines.

According to the neogeodev wiki below it shows the legs for the ZMC2 that cover the C ROM data lines are on the right side of the chip, but where do they go? I can't seem to follow them.

https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=NEO-ZMC2

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really want to save this board!

xterc

n00b
Follow the lines from the IC to see where they end up. Check continuity with a meter to see which lines are damaged. It looks like several traces close to the battery are damaged. Once you identify which traces are damaged, you can plan on how to fix them.

gamesboro

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I checked all of the traces between the NEO-ZMC2 and both of the NEO-257 chips. They are all fine. I couldn't find a good diagram for where the traces were leading to on the bottom 257 so I made a very crude one that may help someone in the future.

Extreme MS Paint skills

Now I just have to figure out where the other half of the traces go. I'll report back once I figure that out and test them.

gamesboro

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I looked at the docs on Jamma Nation X but they didn't help in this situation. I have had some success using the pin diagrams on the Neo dev wiki. It is the only bad trace I could find.

I found a bad trace, and it was because of the battery. After repairing it I get the results below.

Not quite as jacked up screenshot

It is still off but not as bad as before. I can't find anything on the graphical glitches part of neo dev wiki that looks quite like it.

Any ideas?