Toys R Us to close all 800 of its U.S. stores

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I haven't been to a toys'r'us in many years.It's a shame,there going out of business but i guess they got complacent over time and didn't adapt to the changing market.I remember when i was a kid i went to toys'r'us allot for gi-joe,transformers and video games in general.I also remember in the 80's&90's having to use tickets to buy the game you wanted.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Holy shit some of the prices of those games.... I thought they were all $50. I remember when Phantasy Star II was like $100 at Software Etc.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Holy shit some of the prices of those games.... I thought they were all $50. I remember when Phantasy Star II was like $100 at Software Etc.
Yeah those prices i forgot what they were like.Still a $100.00 ? I thought it was Phantasy Star IV that went for a $100.00 at it's release.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
ROMs ain't cheap. Optical media was really for the best.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
This is really sad. We go there quite a bit, mostly for Babies R Us for my 1 y/o but I cruise through the toy section too. The whole thing is a lot smaller than when I was a kid (and I remember the little kiosk where you picked up the games, like everyone else.). But they still have some really neat toys, and a lot of them.

My biggest concern is that there’s no real big toy store to take your kids to anymore. Target’s selection is weak and TRU has WAY more toys, some involving robotics and toys that learn and respond to you. I don’t see anything like that at Target or Wal-Mart. TRU has even gotten into more adult-themed figurines. I saw a Little Alex from Clockwork Orange doll there.

Kay-Bee is dead. FAO Schwartz doesn’t seem to exist anymore. Where are the big toy stores? Amazon is not the same experience, and it’s way less fun for adults.

Not just adults but the excitement on your kids faces as they walk into a store like that...

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
800 shops .
That's a golden opportunity for the VideoGameX franchise to expand !

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
For the people that arent aware of what Bain capital did:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I don't think I've been to one since the late 90's, last thing I remember buying there is my GBA SP. I later lived a 5 min walk from a Best Buy so that was pretty much my go to place for games. Now I just order shit on Amazon and it's here in a day. I don't even have to put pants on.

I did buy my N64 at a TRU. Great memories!

You wear pants when you go to Best Buy? Well look at you mister fancy pants. Pfft...

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
It stinks because TRU always has what I am looking for, can't ever find anything at Target or Walmart.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I bought a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga off the shelf there when it first came out on the Saturn.

TRU used to really kick ass.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I bought a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga off the shelf there when it first came out on the Saturn.

TRU used to really kick ass.

I remember when they marked down their Saturn games and I scored a couple copies for 19.99. Wish I had held on to one of those.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Damn shame. This will likely be the saddest death for me this year.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
TRU used to be the best for clearance games. Not quite Kay Bee level of weirdness, but still worth checking out on the regular.

I still remember the stacks upon stacks of Star Tropics, NES Advantages, and Darius Gaidens that no one wanted. Those expanded PSP battery packs I got on the cheap were awesome too.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
TRU used to be the best for clearance games. Not quite Kay Bee level of weirdness, but still worth checking out on the regular.

I still remember the stacks upon stacks of Star Tropics, NES Advantages, and Darius Gaidens that no one wanted. Those expanded PSP battery packs I got on the cheap were awesome too.

Every time someone goes out of business now - the "clearance" stuff is not at all what it was like 10 or 15+ years ago. I remember getting games for 50 cents at places when they went out of business. No way in hell the equivalent happens today. Too many companies that buy debt and overstock, etc etc. You'll see all this junk on woot or groupon or some shit a few months later. No more deals for people.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi

When Toys R US changed from this setup and removed the glass display cases it was the beginning of the end. I can't imagine how much merch they sold in the 80's and 90's from people window shopping and seeing merch in those cases for the first time.

Last edited:

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I'm going to try to get the Nintendo signage and Switch kiosk.

My best non-gameplay video game memories from back in the day are all with TrU. My kids enjoy trips there, so for a number of reasons, it'll be sad to see them go.

Canadian Stores are still in business for now

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Canadian Stores are still in business for now

Yep, I just heard this on the radio this evening. It brought a smile to my face.

I remember when the SNES was getting ready to come out and there was a whole isle - probably about 50 ft - that was a glass showcase with SNES consoles every couple of feet running SMW, F-Zero, and Pilotwings in 'attract mode'. The way that it was all merchandized just made it all so magical.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Yep, I just heard this on the radio this evening. It brought a smile to my face.

I remember when the SNES was getting ready to come out and there was a whole isle - probably about 50 ft - that was a glass showcase with SNES consoles every couple of feet running SMW, F-Zero, and Pilotwings in 'attract mode'. The way that it was all merchandized just made it all so magical.

ah man, i agree. So many wonderful 90s memories with Toys R US.

I have to give Toys R Us Canada credit when it came to communication about restocks for the SNES Classic. They posted it on their Twitter about a week before, gave the exact number they would get and which stores and sold them on a Saturday morning. By far the best retailer in Canada when it came to the SNES Classic.