NeoGeo ROM Preservation Society thread.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
rom preservation contributions

Hey guys, sorry, I've been very busy lately with a project. I have most of these carts, and the pc to neo device here with me.

Raz, tell me if you need these two carts pictured here that I just ran the CRC on. (it's hard for me to know 100% for sure since I'm still running unibios 3.2 here)

ngm256.jpgngm267.jpg

Also, some information for you Raz:

I have here Metal Slug 3 & Garou carts which both have daughtercards, but they both pass the CRC test.
And, the Garou regular cart I have (no daughtercard) passes CRC with the IDENTICAL checksum.
Doesn't this mean that the daughtercard version I have is not encrypted?
And, if so, would that make it useful to be used as a translator for the other encrypted daughtercard?

Last edited:

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Ok.....

For kof 2002, can you run the crc check a few times and confoirm that last crc32 is alwas yhe same.

For kotm2, this is already dumped and crc will pass in next unibios.

For garou can you post a screenshot from address 0x007530 and 0x0D2160

Kof 2002 gets the same crc in both slots with multiple tests each.

Here is the garou memory

IMG_0099.jpg
IMG_0100.jpg

-ack

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I found my garou with the daughter board (set 3 on mvs scans). The crc check is saying 'custom' for the ROM Banks

IMG_0101.jpg

I went ahead and grabbed the same memory locations you asked for with the other garou cart.

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

-ack

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Hey guys, sorry, I've been very busy lately with a project. I have most of these carts, and the pc to neo device here with me.

Raz, tell me if you need these two carts pictured here that I just ran the CRC on. (it's hard for me to know 100% for sure since I'm still running unibios 3.2 here)

View attachment 49370View attachment 49371

Also, some information for you Raz:

I have here Metal Slug 3 & Garou carts which both have daughtercards, but they both pass the CRC test.
And, the Garou regular cart I have (no daughtercard) passes CRC with the IDENTICAL checksum.
Doesn't this mean that the daughtercard version I have is not encrypted?
And, if so, would that make it useful to be used as a translator for the other encrypted daughtercard?

Yes, both of these are 100% needed.

For Pochi use pc2neo and dump 0x00000 - 0x0FFFFF

For Mslug 3 use pc2neo and also dump 0x00000 - 0x0FFFFF. Please see if this cart has daughter board also and tell me what is written on the SMA
chip (should have something hand stamped on it, like 'KC'. Metal Slug 3 might need extra dumping but I will not know for sure until inspect the pc2neo dump.

Please email me the results and don't forget to check that World Heroes, I think you mentioned you had it.

I am not sure about differences in encryption between the same games using the daughterboard or not. To my knowledge none of the daughterboard versions have ever beed dumped so its not known how the address/data lines arrangements work.

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Kof 2002 gets the same crc in both slots with multiple tests each.

Here is the garou memory

View attachment 49372
View attachment 49373

-ack

Its hard to say what is happening with this one at the moment, it could be a new dump but it could also be bitrot. I'm thinking that for both this garou and kof2002 it might be a good idea to take Jeff up on his offer. He can use pc2neo to read both and based on what that turns up, I will know if the P ROMs need physical dumping or not.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Thanks to supergun and ack (drawing attention to it), Pochi and Nyaa (0xBF34E71C) has been preserved!!

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Its been confirmed now that the Metal Slug 3 with CRC32 of 0x9763419E will require the NGPC type daughter board dumping.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
To help the cause, I can use my PC2NEO to read P data if carts are sent to me, and of course I can also do physical dumps if the game calls for it.

You guys can reach me at jkurtz01@gmail.com.

Jeff
Thanks. If either my MS3 or Sengoku 3 are still needed, I will send them to you.

Raz?

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Its hard to say what is happening with this one at the moment, it could be a new dump but it could also be bitrot. I'm thinking that for both this garou and kof2002 it might be a good idea to take Jeff up on his offer. He can use pc2neo to read both and based on what that turns up, I will know if the P ROMs need physical dumping or not.

Once I finish going through all my carts, I will hit up Jeff for the ones that need dumping.

Thanks to supergun and ack (drawing attention to it), Pochi and Nyaa (0xBF34E71C) has been preserved!!

While I dont have a scan of 2.00, the scan of 2.02 gives the impression the M1 chip is new. Does that need to get dumped also?

-ack

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Once I finish going through all my carts, I will hit up Jeff for the ones that need dumping.

While I dont have a scan of 2.00, the scan of 2.02 gives the impression the M1 chip is new. Does that need to get dumped also?

-ack

That is hard to say about the M1 ROM, given supergun already has the cart though I guess it will be quite easy for Jeff to check it.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Raz, I have the following beta carts that obviously all fail the CRC check... do you need any of these..?
If so, tell me how...

Baseball Stars Professional..........F5DC2670..........C100B5F5
Cyberlip..........5888C24D..........69A6B42D
League Bowling..........44F9FE94..........A2DE8445
Magician Lord..........E5B2F5EC..........599043C5
Ninja Combat..........25846B3A..........B45FCFBF
Riding Hero..........8EF788AA..........D4AAF597
Super Spy..........DD351E30..........C7F944B5

(The first value is the cart, the second is from Mame)

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Raz, I have the following beta carts that obviously all fail the CRC check... do you need any of these..?
If so, tell me how...

Baseball Stars Professional..........F5DC2670..........C100B5F5
Cyberlip..........5888C24D..........69A6B42D
League Bowling..........44F9FE94..........A2DE8445
Magician Lord..........E5B2F5EC..........599043C5
Ninja Combat..........25846B3A..........B45FCFBF
Riding Hero..........8EF788AA..........D4AAF597
Super Spy..........DD351E30..........C7F944B5

(The first value is the cart, the second is from Mame)

Have you got the Super Spy numbers the wrong way around, DD351E30 being the number in MAME?

But the short answer is yes, All of these need to be looked at, and if its not bitrot, all are unpreserved revisions... When you say beta carts, do you mean proto versions? Do you have PC2NEO?

Last edited:

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
That is hard to say about the M1 ROM, given supergun already has the cart though I guess it will be quite easy for Jeff to check it.

This has been discussed here already a couple of times in the past.
Pochi MVS carts have 2 or 3 EPROMs (factory) and the revisions have to do with the high score table & music/intro or some other thing (I can't recall right now) but it's been well documented & known about. I read & dumped those EPROMs years ago. They are easily found on the internet.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
This has been discussed here already a couple of times in the past.
Pochi MVS carts have 2 or 3 EPROMs (factory) and the revisions have to do with the high score table & music/intro or some other thing (I can't recall right now) but it's been well documented & known about. I read & dumped those EPROMs years ago. They are easily found on the internet.

I have had a look to try and find this information but google is not finding anything for me in relation to this (might be due to my location?).

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
This is my v-liner, unsure if there is something wrong with the cart or if its missing some of the required tiles. The crc value is consistent.

IMG_0109.jpg

-ack

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
This is my v-liner, unsure if there is something wrong with the cart or if its missing some of the required tiles. The crc value is consistent.

View attachment 49437

-ack

Can you go into the memory viewer and take a picture from 0x007A30.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
My V-Liner shows the same CRC as ack's.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Ok, so this is V0.7A. In MAME there is V.06E and V0.54.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Updated first post with 2 more V-Liner sets that need preserving.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Could I ask that people check their original kof2002 carts and see if ROM BANK 3 fails or passes? This is quite urgent.

Raz