NeoGeo ROM Preservation Society thread.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
My MVS cart gives the same result as Clear Paper's above. Rom bank 3 is okay.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Have updated the first post, and Alt V-Liner has been preserved thanks to ack! Give the man a medel or better stilll everyone check their orignal carts using the unibios to see if we can find more!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Updated first post again, thanks to ack Sengoku3 alt version is now preserved!!! What a star!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Another one has turned up in my inbox.... A verified alt 'World Heroes 2' version.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
updated first post, ack has done it again. Two new NeoGeo 6SLOT bios preserved.

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
Can you give us some details about the bios: region, revision, differences...
Also about alt game revisions: is there anything beside P roms that can change gameplay between 2 revisions of the same game?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I have not done advanced testing, but I see that sengoku3 has a neogeo jingle fix, world heros 2 is a newer game build that the one in MAME. The bios are U3 and J3.

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Heres a pic of the bios chips.

IMG_0184.jpg

-ack

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Ack has confirmed a NGP dumper can correctly dump the NeoGeo Pocket type PCB's used on a few NeoGeo games from 1999/2000.

Games known to use this daughter PCB on some carts so far are; KOF2000, Garou and Metal Slug 3.

The mini PCB must be removed from the PROG board before dumping and both sides must be read (flip if over in NGP reader). The resulting two dump are then simply interleaved (8bit). This process has been done on both KOF2000 and Garou. Both dumps once interleaved match dumps already in MAME (when the matching encrypted P1 and P2 are simply joined P1+P2). There is no new encryption or different syle of encryption used.

Now its just a case of getting the Metal Slug 3 known to be different and uses a NGP style daughter into the right hands.

Last edited:

Suplex

n00b
Was there any correlation between the already dumped MS3s and the serial numbers they had or is it completely arbitrary?

edit: just remembered many MVS carts have the serials removed so its probably not the best question to ask.

Last edited:

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Hi Raz, saw the unibios 4 whatsnew (congrats btw, awesome job!) .. question about the "old" power spikes, does it mean eventually the SuperVolley 94 P1 has been dumped!? (can't find the thread on the phone :( )

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Hi Raz, saw the unibios 4 whatsnew (congrats btw, awesome job!) .. question about the "old" power spikes, does it mean eventually the SuperVolley 94 P1 has been dumped!? (can't find the thread on the phone :( )

Yes, the p1 was dumped with PC-2-NEO. The issue is the owner does not want to have the chips removed to dump the rest (which S is needed, probably M also and maybe V and C). Until those are dumped the game is not playable really.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
gotcha, thanks, too bad a "non-invasive" dumper device project didn't get much attention from the community :(

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Razoola, check your messages & tell me where you want me to send this cart.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Thanks to wyo (and ack for sending out his PC2NEO) two more v-liner revisions are preserved!

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
There is a guy on Facebook who has the following MS3, Razoola is it worth investigating?

ms3_new.jpg
ms3_new2.jpg

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
It might be yes, does he have PC2NEO?

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Ok so the MS3 cart with the daughter board is out the door & on it's way to ack. He should be getting it in 2-3 days. I'm interested to know if this revision has any major changes from the regular version. It's probably just a bugfix, but it would be great to find this cart was special.

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I'll look at it once dumped.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Another MVS bios has been dumped by ack (4SLOT v2), cannot edit the first post ATM though, Raz

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Heres a pic of the 4slot v2 bios. I ended up having 2 of them, both were from MV4 boards.

IMG_0206.jpg

-ack

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Thanks to wingzrow and ack the elusive Metal Slug 3 has now been preserved. I'll have a little look shortly to see whats different. The banking and P ROM encryption is defo different.

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
First post updated (thanks rot). The new MS3 dump is an earlier revision of the game. The later version (already in MAME) has 0x08 bytes inserted at 0x043874, it checks to see if a player is playing and skips some code if they are.