On a whim, I decided to pick up a Switch

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I got Mario and a "pro" [read: normal] controller. Im enjoying Mario as I did 64 and it's subsequent clones.

Other than Zelda, which I had/beat on the WiiU what good games are there? Im not a fan of Splatoon so I've no interest in the 2nd one. I tried the Kirby demo and while it was kinda cool and somewhat ironically violent for a Kirby game, I noticed there wasn't much of the gameplay from the originals that I remember. It was mainly getting a group of four characters and quite literally setting everything on fire. It was kinda fun, so I might pick that up.

Any other gems? I tried searching the Nintendo online store and all I saw were indie games. Some look pretty cool, but I dunno. I know the next metroid is probably destined for 2019. I dont need Mario Cart as I have it for the WiiU.

So is anything really standout?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Lots of indie stuff. Zero Gunner 2 is a DC shooter that's fun. Lots of Neo Geo games to DL. I dunno - there's too much indie stuff and not enough AAA games for me. 1 year ago and I'm still not impressed by this system. You covered most of the other games.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I still find it odd how people are so happy to see ports and indie games on the switch rather than new games by the big game companies. Is that what modern gaming has come to? Have people finally gotten tired of AAA movie-like games?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I still find it odd how people are so happy to see ports and indie games on the switch rather than new games by the big game companies. Is that what modern gaming has come to? Have people finally gotten tired of AAA movie-like games?

i'll tell you since i got my ps4 at launch, ive bought maybe 7 'AAA' games. The amount of indies i have? hundreds. I dont thing that we're tired of the aaa experience, I just think that the indie scene has gotten so rich with great stuff that we push a lot of major stuff out of the way for these great immersive experiences that indie titles provide. Also fun to note- lots of them are pixel art based and they feel like what most of us grew up with- just modern. Indie titles ARE the current gen for me.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I consider "modern" to be a dirty word, been burned so many times... I don't trust it.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
If you want big studio AAA games, the Switch is not the system for you. That said plenty of good titles from smaller and indie publishers.

Arms looks like a solid game, still receiving plenty of support from the devs and community looks good. Mario + Rabbids is one I really want to try out since i like the tbs genre. If you haven't played Doom yet then the switch version is fun to play, though it really takes a hit on graphics and frame rate. I don't really recommend Sonic Forces unless youre a hardcore Sonic fan, and even then the game was average at best. Instead go with Sonic Mania, a much better Sonic game that feels just as good as the classics.

I mentioned Sonic Mania but other 2D titles that caught my attention are Azure Striker Gunvolt pack, Blaster Master, Axiom Verge, Shovel Knight, and Wonder Boy.

I'm with you on buying these Wii U ports since I also owned all the games that got ported. At least from what I can tell they arent half assing these ports and are putting some effort into providing something new or giving you a more complete experience.

i'll tell you since i got my ps4 at launch, ive bought maybe 7 'AAA' games. The amount of indies i have? hundreds. I dont thing that we're tired of the aaa experience, I just think that the indie scene has gotten so rich with great stuff that we push a lot of major stuff out of the way for these great immersive experiences that indie titles provide. Also fun to note- lots of them are pixel art based and they feel like what most of us grew up with- just modern. Indie titles ARE the current gen for me.

well said :cool::-J

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist

Exactly - seems so. All AAA titles are pretty calculated affairs that don't have a lot of soul. Last AAA game I truly liked was Resi 7 in VR - apart from that I guess it was Dark souls 3...

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Get anything and everything. So much good on this platform.
Mario v Rabbids has been on sale at BB for $30. Great game if you are looking for tacticalRPG style combat, but totally different.

This console is still for AAA games, don't listen to the haters. The Tegra is getting pushed hard, but this console offers something the others don't.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I picked one up a couple of days ago, but I'm ready to return it. No, I haven't played anything on it, but after getting a PS4 for Christmas, and a XB1 as a separate gift from my wife, it's doesn't make sense to keep the Switch. Lots of people mention liking games that are on the other two systems (Stardew Valley) or are WiiU ports (which I already enjoy).

Someone sell me on some other reason to keep it aside from its games (ports and cross-platform) and portability, the latter of which will go wasted. I'm all ears before I cash out.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Someone sell me on some other reason to keep it aside from its games and portability, the latter of which will go wasted. I'm all ears before I cash out.

Tell you a reason to keep a console other than the games? Why would you keep a PS4/XB1 other than the games?
The Switch at least offers more games the others don't, in addition to the portability.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I picked one up a couple of days ago, but I'm ready to return it. No, I haven't played anything on it, but after getting a PS4 for Christmas, and a XB1 as a separate gift from my wife, it's doesn't make sense to keep the Switch. Lots of people mention liking games that are on the other two systems (Stardew Valley) or are WiiU ports (which I already enjoy).

Someone sell me on some other reason to keep it aside from its games and portability, the latter of which will go wasted. I'm all ears before I cash out.

dont know what youre into, but the following are either hotly anticipated or great titles available now. I love the Wii U ports personally so they dont bother me.

the world ends with you HD
DKC Returns Tropical Freeze
Bayonetta (all)
RE Revelations
Mario Odyssee
Zelda BOTW
Axiom Verge
Cave Story Plus
Sine Mora
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Metroid Prime 4
Pokemon
Smash Bros

just off the top of my head, im sure others have additional contributions

JoeAwesome

Tell you a reason to keep a console other than the games? Why would you keep a PS4/XB1 other than the games?
The Switch at least offers more games the others don't, in addition to the portability.

I edited my quote to note specific games, but aside from Mario + Rabbids and Mario Odyssey, I don't see many Swich-specific games that interest me a ton. And portability, as mentioned, is not a selling point for me. I don't play on the go or in my bed. My dusty 3DSXL attests to this.

dont know what youre into, but the following are either hotly anticipated or great titles available now. I love the Wii U ports personally so they dont bother me.

the world ends with you HD
DKC Returns Tropical Freeze
Bayonetta (all)
RE Revelations
Mario Odyssee
Zelda BOTW
Axiom Verge
Cave Story Plus
Sine Mora
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Metroid Prime 4
Pokemon
Smash Bros

just off the top of my head, im sure others have additional contributions

I'm really not into many RPGs, so that cuts down my list. Out of those mentioned that aren't ports/upgrades/cross, Smash Bros. and Odyssey are the ones mentioned I'd want to try.

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member

Considering the way AAA games are going in terms of loot boxes, microtransactions, and difficulty being a walk in the park, honestly I'm getting tired of them, and indie games and ports are looking pretty good comparitively.

I mean...fuck, we have Metal Gear Survive (which really sucks anyways) were you literally have to spend $10 for a fucking save file slot.

Thank fucking god Nintendo is slutting out like that, and hopefully they never will.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member

No. No, it doesn't. The PS4/XB1 have hundreds of games that the Switch does not have because they've been out for 4+ years in addition to the platform exclusive games and games that will never be ported because a mobile chip is incapable of running them without being severely gimped.

The Switch has a lot of great games on it. However, he's right. Most of them thus far have been Wii U ports and indie games that have been out on other platforms for months/years. That will change as time goes on (though the Switch will never be a platform for high-end games) if it continues to be successful but for those of us whom portability holds no value (adults who don't have public transit commutes), it's just another Nintendo platform. With all of the positives and negatives that come along with that.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Considering the way AAA games are going in terms of loot boxes, microtransactions, and difficulty being a walk in the part, honestly I'm getting tired of them, and indie games and ports are looking pretty good comparitively.

I mean...fuck, we have Metal Gear Survive (which really sucks anyways) were you literally have to spend $10 for a fucking save file slot.

Bingo, i dont mind to pay for a port or remaster of a game thats in a cartridge format, usually a definitive edition with DLC included, portable, and especially a game i've enjoyed before. With AAA big budget games, i genuinely rarely get excited for it anymore.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
My XB1 hasn't been turned on in over 6 months, all I play is ps4 and swtich.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
What have you played on the Switch, and what are you looking forward to?

Bayonetta, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Rayman Legends of late. Kirby, Bayo 3 and many others I'm excited about upcoming. On the XB1? Nothing sadly.

100proof

10 Year Member
The XB1 has next to nothing but it's really become pointless if you have a PC worth a damn.

JoeAwesome

Bayonetta, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Rayman Legends of late. Kirby, Bayo 3 and many others I'm excited about upcoming. On the XB1? Nothing sadly.

Thanks for the help, and everyone else so far.

The XB1 has next to nothing but it's really become pointless if you have a PC worth a damn.

I don't have a PC worth a damn. Never did, and probably never will. I've enjoyed Sunset Overdrive on the XB1, though. I have a few other console-exclusives for the XB1 I need to get to, too: KI:DE and Quantum Break, most notably.

100proof

10 Year Member
I don't have a PC worth a damn. Never did, and probably never will. I've enjoyed Sunset Overdrive on the XB1, though. I have a few other console-exclusives for the XB1 I need to get to, too: KI:DE and Quantum Break, most notably.

Now's not a great time to (with GPUs and RAM being stupidly overpriced at the moment) but anyone who cares about modern video games should probably buy a high-end PC at this point. Pretty much all third-party published games are best on the PC and a lot of the best indie games show up on PC first. I was a console-first person for decades but in this modern era where AAA games aren't optimized anymore and consoles are more or less just mid-range PCs with a dedicated front-end, it's in your best interest. Plus pretty much every video game ever made thru 2005 is playable via emulation and you can go back through 30 years of great PC games that never came out on any console.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
If you need to be sold on a switch then it's not for you. Get your money back. I've never understood people who grab a Nintendo system and start threads sell me on this system and stating I don't like any game on the system. Well why in the fuck did you buy it in the first place? You buy a Nintendo system for 1st party games. It's been that way for over 20 years now.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
The only game I play on XBone is RB4, but it's worth it.