On a whim, I decided to pick up a Switch

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
The X1 is a shame. It's really prevented the Switch from being a capable machine with huge success.
oh wait....

Since when sales reflect the quality of a product? Have you ever heard of Beats or iPhones? You missed the technical standpoint part. Out of curiosity, how many Switch game do you own? I own quite a few and when I tell you that the Switch is struggling with 1080p that's because it is. If you're OK with playing Xenoblade 2 in 320p then good for you. Maybe it's just me but I can't help but wonder what BOTW or Bayonetta 2 would have looked like in 1080p 60fps and both of these games were freaking Wii U ports.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Word. BotW and Bayo2 are the two games I own.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Since when sales reflect the quality of a product? Have you ever heard of Beats or iPhones? You missed the technical standpoint part. Out of curiosity, how many Switch game do you own? I own quite a few and when I tell you that the Switch is struggling with 1080p that's because it is. If you're OK with playing Xenoblade 2 in 320p then good for you. Maybe it's just me but I can't help but wonder what BOTW or Bayonetta 2 would have looked like in 1080p 60fps and both of these games were freaking Wii U ports.

Cool. and a PS2 doesnt do 4k.
Clearly people don't care about the performance.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Cool. and a PS2 doesnt do 4k.
Clearly people don't care about the performance.

The difference here it that the Switch was actually advertised as a 1080p console.

See the "I" in "I'm glad the stupid choice they made has finally bitten them in the ass"? Well that's me here, not you nor the people. That's my opinion. Like it or not but 320p for Xenoblade 2 is unacceptable in my book, especially considering that this game has been developed exclusively for the Switch and wasn't even a port of a PS4 game.

But again, if you're OK with that, good for you, different strokes for different folks.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Maybe it's just me but I can't help but wonder what BOTW or Bayonetta 2 would have looked like in 1080p 60fps and both of these games were freaking Wii U ports.

to be fair though I think only PC games can do 1080p and 60fps at the same time.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
to be fair though I think only PC games can do 1080p and 60fps at the same time.

With a few exceptions here and there, that's the case. Console players are handled like a bunch of cads since polygons took over and it sells.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Rise of the Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 7, Nioh, MGS5, Gears of War 4, Neir Automata, SotC remake.

It's not on par with PC (probably never will be) but saying 1080p / 60fps is not possible on consoles is a huge understatement.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
It's a bit weird complaining about frame rate and definition of one console versus another or versus pc when we all happily play games from decades ago that are comparatively pieces of visual shit isn't it?

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member

To be fair, I never exepted the Switch to do both 1080p and 60fps on new releases, only on the Wii U ports. They managed to do it for Mario Kart 8 and it looks amazing. It's disapointing to pay the full price again for past generation games only to find out that there isn't much of an upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Switch, it's pretty much the only system I play besides my arcade stuff these days. I litterally spent hundreds of hours on the thing already. I just wish it could handle its games a little better, especially the first party games. I'm good with 900p 30fps to be honest but even Nintendo is struggling with the hardware to maintain that. I really wish they went with the X2. Hopefully the new version of the Switch will fix that.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
the switch doesnt even have 1080 pixels.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
The XB1 has next to nothing but it's really become pointless if you have a PC worth a damn.

I have a PC worth half a damn and it's playing majority of the games that System Requirements Lab says won't run on my PC (Street Fighter V runs pretty damn good on this thing, IMO). My XB1 is just collecting dust. I'm just using the controller for my PC, LOL!

StevenK

10 Year Member
Anybody got any controller advice? I'm planning on picking up the pro controller but if anyone knows better I'm open to suggestions.

fake

15 Year Member
Anybody got any controller advice? I'm planning on picking up the pro controller but if anyone knows better I'm open to suggestions.

I'm not a fan of the Pro controller. I'd prefer getting an adapter TBH.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I like the pro controller for analog stuff. For digital I use one of the new 8bitdo pads with analog sticks on it. It syncs up with the switch just like a native controller.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I like the pro controller for analog stuff. For digital I use one of the new 8bitdo pads with analog sticks on it. It syncs up with the switch just like a native controller.

Seconded. The 8bitdo Super Fami pad with the analog sticks is ideal for 99% of games.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I can't play Mario Kart worth a shit on it unfortunately.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Pro controller for sure. The little shit sticks they include never leave the side of the console for me. Id rather use the pro controller.

I'll have to look I to the 8bitdo pad for stuff like Dead Cells or Bloodstained/Shovel Knight, etc. I've got one for my SNES mini and it works like a champ.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Had a look at the 8bitdo controller and I think I'm going to struggle with that - the side by side rather than the front to back shoulder buttons don't look like my cup of tea. Fakex - what controller are you using once you've used an adapter?

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

The Pro-Controller is a must own for the Switch if you plan to do any major gaming on it. The Joycons are nice when you put them in the grip holder but honestly the Pro-Controller is a solid piece to play games with.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Had a look at the 8bitdo controller and I think I'm going to struggle with that - the side by side rather than the front to back shoulder buttons don't look like my cup of tea. Fakex - what controller are you using once you've used an adapter?
That sounds like the NES looking one. You want the sn30 pro.

fake

15 Year Member

I've always wanted to use an Xbone controller. When I get into Bayonetta 2 I might pick up one of those and the Mayflash adapter.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
The Pro-Controller is a must own for the Switch if you plan to do any major gaming on it. The Joycons are nice when you put them in the grip holder but honestly the Pro-Controller is a solid piece to play games with.

This.

As long as the game you're playing doesn't require precision with the d-pad, the pro controller is pretty good. It's also very comfortable.