AES DB15 pinout question - ANSWERED

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I am building my own six button stick for my supergun, but I have a few questions in regards to pinouts on the DB15 connector

Basically I have two pinouts, one from the supergun maker and one not, both for the neo geo

db15_laugh[1].png
SNK_NEO_GEO_PAD_JOYSTICK_STANDARD_PINOUT_FR[1].jpg

Does the supergun (in French) have an incorrect pinout, or did they swap pins for some strange reason?

Basically, what is the correct pinout?

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Both are correct for the standard 4 button AES layout. I think using 2, 9 and 10 respectively as the "kick" buttons is the accepted way of doing things. I would just go by however your Supergun is setup.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Both are correct for the standard 4 button AES layout. I think using 2, 9 and 10 respectively as the "kick" buttons is the accepted way of doing things. I would just go by however your Supergun is setup.

madman you're back? And why does it say Boston not Chicago?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The english pinout picture is as it says, looking at the connector from the outside of the console. The french pinout is for when you are soldering to the connector on the inside of the console. I'm sure you can adapt that to a controller, should be pretty much the same idea.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
The english pinout picture is as it says, looking at the connector from the outside of the console. The french pinout is for when you are soldering to the connector on the inside of the console. I'm sure you can adapt that to a controller, should be pretty much the same idea.

Ok I follow. Basically the French diagram shares the same AES standard for a normal four button AES stick, but some extra items have been swapped around. So I'll just connect via the French diagram and end up 100%.

First time doing this, my brain was getting foggy looking at the two (and I sprayed spray paint in my house earlier...haha)

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
If you look at the typical Neo Geo pinout, you'll notice it's incredibly easy to wire, the diagram isn't really needed. Just know that when you are soldering, start on the far left pin and go in a diagonal up-down fashion.

+5v, Up, Down, Left, Right, A, B, C, D, Start, Select, nothing, nothing, nothing, GND

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
If you look at the typical Neo Geo pinout, you'll notice it's incredibly easy to wire, the diagram isn't really needed. Just know that when you are soldering, start on the far left pin and go in a diagonal up-down fashion.

+5v, Up, Down, Left, Right, A, B, C, D, Start, Select, nothing, nothing, nothing, GND

Got it. Thanks man

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I'm going to prototype it w/ a DB15 field termination part before soldering anyway...the stick might not live in the enclosure I have currently

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Oh whoops, I thought you meant the extra buttons, not the view of the pins since both are labeled with the correct pin #s.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Oh whoops, I thought you meant the extra buttons, not the view of the pins since both are labeled with the correct pin #s.

No worries...I got what you meant

So you really aren't in Chicago any more?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Unfortunately there is no real standard for where the extra buttons go. If you're going to use any premade adapters or controllers you'll need to find the pinout. Personally, I wire everything the same as JNX.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Unfortunately there is no real standard for where the extra buttons go. If you're going to use any premade adapters or controllers you'll need to find the pinout. Personally, I wire everything the same as JNX.

That’s what I’ve discovered. Outside of the standard four AES buttons, the rest are up in the air. I guess I was looking for standardization where there isn’t any.

I’m just wiring this as a six button supergun stick so really it’s single use

nam9

Zero's Secretary
Surprised that none of these follow HMGs logic... Time for a new standard :lolz:

+5v, Up, Down, Left, Right, A, B, C, D, Start, Select, K1, K2, K3, GND