odd corruption after using code on Unibios and Samurai Spirits AES

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
So I have a Japanese AES with a version 3.2 of the UniBios installed. I was playing Samurai Shodown 1 and was messing around with the cheat codes for fun. I had the game running in MVS mode and with the region set to USA. When I enabled the code for player one to be Amakusa the game kinda glitched out a little then there he was. No issues until I restarted the game. Every time I set the mode to MVS and the region to USA, now I get this right after the Neo Geo splash screen.20180308_221817.jpg
Once this screen goes away the attract mode has no sound. Unless I start the game then only the audio comes back. I have unplugged the console and it still does this. Is there some kind of cache memory on the Unibios I can clear? I don't have a memory card.

Thanks

Last edited:

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
That looks like the 'Winners don't do drugs' screen that was in the arcades in the US. I'm sure (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) that the tiles for this screen are not in the AES but are in the MVS hardware which is why it looks like this. Not sure about the audio issue.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's normal for the attract mode to have no sound under these conditions on AES with some games. Since you're in MVS mode on an AES.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That looks like the 'Winners don't do drugs' screen that was in the arcades in the US. I'm sure (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) that the tiles for this screen are not in the AES but are in the MVS hardware which is why it looks like this.

This is correct. As far as the audio, go into the soft dips and see if it has a setting to turn on the Attract Mode sound. I haven't played this in a while so I can't remember if that's one of the options or not.

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
That looks like the 'Winners don't do drugs' screen that was in the arcades in the US. I'm sure (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) that the tiles for this screen are not in the AES but are in the MVS hardware which is why it looks like this. Not sure about the audio issue.

Yes this is what I thought it looked like too. The odd thing about all this is before I enabled that cheat, it never displayed the corrupted screen at all. In MVS mode and in USA region, it worked perfectly fine. As soon as I enabled that cheat and on the next time I started the game in those modes. That is when it first happened and now it shows every time and then no audio for the attract screens.

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
This is correct. As far as the audio, go into the soft dips and see if it has a setting to turn on the Attract Mode sound. I haven't played this in a while so I can't remember if that's one of the options or not.

There is a demo sound option in the soft dip. But it's always set to "on" by default. I even set it to off, let it boot once with it off. Then set it back to on with the same results.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
You are mistaken, The origional winners don't use drugs screen has never worked on AES in Arcade mode given the AES does not have the needed graphics onboard. The same goes for demo sounds for many games when in arcade mode given the AES does not have backupRAM. Both these issues are very well known and are listed on the known issue unibios page.

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
You are mistaken, The origional winners don't use drugs screen has never worked on AES in Arcade mode given the AES does not have the needed graphics onboard. The same goes for demo sounds for many games when in arcade mode given the AES does not have backupRAM. Both these issues are very well known and are listed on the known issue unibios page.

Thanks for the reply Raz, and sorry ive been away from the scene for so long, guess I missed this info. I just play in AES mode now with blood enabled and infinite credits. As long as I can do both in every game that requires blood and enable infinite continues its all good.