Trump and North Korea's Kim Jong-un to meet 'as soon as possible'

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/994192995737096192

I am pleased to inform you that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is in the air and on his way back from North Korea with the 3 wonderful gentlemen that everyone is looking so forward to meeting. They seem to be in good health. Also, good meeting with Kim Jong Un. Date & Place set.

Now, obviously he's trying to hype up the return of the hostages, here, but what if the plane lands and it turns out he meant, like, Dennis Rodman, Rain, and Gackt?

poutine

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
After pulling out of the Iran deal, Trump is going to meet Kim Jong-un just to tell him he's a fagit to his face and see what happens.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
After pulling out of the Iran deal, Trump is going to meet Kim Jong-un just to tell him he's a fagit to his face and see what happens.

Do not put this past Donald.
If this where the 1800s some wise old plains chief would dub Trump Fox who wears ten masks and bares Coyote teeth

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The North just cancelled scheduled talks with the South in response to SK/US military drills.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
1. Xi becomes president for life

2. Shortly afterwards, invites Kim to Beijing. This is the first trip Kim has made outside NK in 7 years.

3. Less than a month later, Kim and SK president meet, talk for peace.

4. May 8th, Kim is back in Beijing for a secret meeting.

5. May 16th, peace talks cancelled.

Something is going on here.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
1. Xi becomes president for life

2. Shortly afterwards, invites Kim to Beijing. This is the first trip Kim has made outside NK in 7 years.

3. Less than a month later, Kim and SK president meet, talk for peace.

4. May 8th, Kim is back in Beijing for a secret meeting.

5. May 16th, peace talks cancelled.

Something is going on here.

Not saying you're wrong, but this sounds like the way talks with North Korea typically go, with or without outside interference. We just haven't had POTUS touting their success before the fact in previous negotiations.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I was going to say something must have occurred between Xi and Kim because the peace talks and ceremonial bullshit with the South Koreans came out of fucking nowhere.

If it wasn't for the US this would've been resolved long ago.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I blame the biased media coverage for the news coming from nowhere. Anytime you heard anything from Western media about North Korea it was eithee FUD or warmongering. Western media never actually covered that country in any other way and most people don't even read KCNA (although it is under DDoS a lot of the time an unreachable) or relevant Chinese news. All of the times I ever read KCNA, only a small percentage is what is reflected by what western media reports.

And strangely (but not strange at all) often western media will invent quotes from KCNA, which is even worse.

I think it is more likey not a "come from nowhere" situation and more of a "we haven't actually been paying enough attention" situation.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I blame the biased media coverage for the news coming from nowhere. Anytime you heard anything from Western media about North Korea it was eithee FUD or warmongering. Western media never actually covered that country in any other way and most people don't even read KCNA (although it is under DDoS a lot of the time an unreachable) or relevant Chinese news. All of the times I ever read KCNA, only a small percentage is what is reflected by what western media reports.

And strangely (but not strange at all) often western media will invent quotes from KCNA, which is even worse.

I think it is more likey not a "come from nowhere" situation and more of a "we haven't actually been paying enough attention" situation.

I'd like to see some examples of this because I'm being bombarded with pleas for me to ignore what my local media outlets tell me and I want to know if I should start doing so.

And what, if I do, I should fall back on I guess.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I'd like to see some examples of this because I'm being bombarded with pleas for me to ignore what my local media outlets tell me and I want to know if I should start doing so.

Mate I think cutting news out of my life was a great move. Did wonders for my mental health and for what I considered important to me. There are people who will fight the good fight but I am not one of them, I'm just a pleb trying to get by in life. Whatever opinion I have will change nothing for the powers that be. So when I stopped giving a shit about news, I felt better.

As for trustworthy news sites concerning NK, I agree. There is so much BS about NK it's ridiculous. It's a shit country, absolutely, but when the news reports there was a massive cave avalanche or whatever and now all the NK nuclear scientists are dead and so that's why NK is going to talk about peace...yeahhhhhhh.

I guess, what my rambling on is getting at, is to always follow the source. And to be honest that's a bit much asking for someone to truly care about what's happening a world over, with no consequences on your life in your home.

I dislike using the term 'fake news' because it's what Trump has been trying to deflect with, but geez louise it certainly exists, and the fearmongering is not something I want to care about.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Mate I think cutting news out of my life was a great move. Did wonders for my mental health and for what I considered important to me. There are people who will fight the good fight but I am not one of them, I'm just a pleb trying to get by in life. Whatever opinion I have will change nothing for the powers that be. So when I stopped giving a shit about news, I felt better.

As for trustworthy news sites concerning NK, I agree. There is so much BS about NK it's ridiculous. It's a shit country, absolutely, but when the news reports there was a massive cave avalanche or whatever and now all the NK nuclear scientists are dead and so that's why NK is going to talk about peace...yeahhhhhhh.

I guess, what my rambling on is getting at, is to always follow the source. And to be honest that's a bit much asking for someone to truly care about what's happening a world over, with no consequences on your life in your home.

I dislike using the term 'fake news' because it's what Trump has been trying to deflect with, but geez louise it certainly exists, and the fearmongering is not something I want to care about.

If you don't follow the news, how do you know what is real or fake? Are you basing your assertions on facts or feelings? :scratch:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
If you don't follow the news, how do you know what is real or fake? Are you basing your assertions on facts or feelings? :scratch:

I do follow it at times. There are bad news sources, sure. Fox News is fake news, for sure - no news there but outlandish outrage. But when it comes to NK, for example, the western news is just going by something said from a SK news source that cited a rumor. So, from rumor, to SK news, to news in America. Always follow the source.

The facts are always the most important. Absolutely.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member

I see people saying this also and think it is the wrong approach. I have always thought you should get information from multiple sources and figure it out for yourself. This would be from national news, talk radio (aka opinion), religious nutjobs or other countries. You just need to figure out how to filter the actual information from opinion. You also need to be aware that propaganda is used constantly and all governments lie. Then you can take these "Facts" and those "facts" and figure out which you think is true, or you can just discard it if it isn't actually important.

Like many news stories are out there on TV or websites or radio or whatever that are just straight up gossip, like they pulled a theme out of a soap opera or sitcom. It depends on what you care about, but I tend not to care much about those types of news stories.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
It depends on what you care about, but I tend not to care much about those types of news stories.

This has been the biggest change in news for me, from my perspective. In the past you sat down and watched the 6pm news from beginning to end and got a flavour of a variety of things. Now I click online and actively avoid huge chunks of the news.

Personal tragedy? What can I do with that, ignored.
Celebrity gossip? What do I care, ignored.
Cricket news? What does anyone care, ignored.

I find all I'm left caring about these days is politics, economics and the occasional technology story.

Technology I'm fairly confident with any news source.
Economics can only ever be opinion, I'm self aware enough to know I'm usually only reading stories that back up my pre-conceived idea of how things are going.
And politics, this is the tricky one. How do you pick a news source and decide if it's reliable or not when the people who carry out the political decisions are often not even sure if they're telling the truth or not in the first place? I stand by this too, I don't think all politicians are bad people, I think most of them are just trying to make sense of everything that happens around them as blindly as we are, it's just that we pay them to pretend that they know so we feel like someone's steering the ship.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Step 1: Avoid any political news stories that contain editorializing.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Now Trump has cancelled the talks. He's a fucking amateur and turning international diplomacy into the WWF.
Ridiculous but predictable.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Now Trump has cancelled the talks. He's a fucking amateur and turning international diplomacy into the WWF.
Ridiculous but predictable.

"trump pulls out of yet another thing, which is great news for his kids, as comedians are now running out of 'pulling out' jokes"

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Technology I'm fairly confident with any news source.

Tech news is able to be verified. Which is good and not depends on who is reporting it, not because of political motivations as with other types of news. Instead because while everyone in the workforce has had used a computer growing up or even in their job, most people have no idea how they work. And it shows when they write articles, full of wrong ideas or outright FUD. Tech news is the most annoying to me.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
not because of political motivations as with other types of news.

Ehhhh no.

Branding motivations can be just as bad as political motivations. You never know who is getting paid - in one way or another and not necessarily monetarily - to run a story, whether it's complimenting one brand or disparaging another.