Raspberry Pi and Daphne question

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
520x293bb.jpg

So, after wrestling/tinkering with Pi for years, I feel comfortable enough to do most things in it. I have a great little box I keep hooked up to my main TV and I play it regularly.

I've found a good BT dongle I use and the performance is (in my opinion) nearly identical to a wired controller. I am also aware of the frames of lag that come with playing in emulation, but as I said I have my setup exactly where I like it.

I see tons of people online using it for Daphne and playing LD games. I have tried this a handful of times and games like Dragon's Lair are unplayable due to the split-second lag - At least in my opinion.

My question: does anyone here ACTUALLY play these games on a Pi? If so, how?! I just can't seem to make them playable short of memorization and timing inputs to account for the lag.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yea it's pretty much just memorizing and inputting before you're supposed to. A lot of people say they are used to the lag but I just can't hang.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Yea it's pretty much just memorizing and inputting before you're supposed to. A lot of people say they are used to the lag but I just can't hang.

yeah man, me neither. I really wanted to give Time Gal on Mega CD a whirl since I hadn't played it in years and was quickly like, "Nope! that isn't gonna work"

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
CD based games in general play like shit on the pi, especially if the original game streamed fmv or audio. Dragon's lair? Forget it, it won't be much fun. All the 16 bit cart-based stuff works very well though. It all goes downhill from generation psx.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
CD based games in general play like shit on the pi, especially if the original game streamed fmv or audio. Dragon's lair? Forget it, it won't be much fun. All the 16 bit cart-based stuff works very well though. It all goes downhill from generation psx.

Sounds like that Pi(e) ain't all it's supposed to be aye Gastro! hah!

Spoiler:
Haaaahahaha :lolz:

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
What about controlling via the GPIO pins? Gets rid of any USB lag. Pi2JAMMA and Pi2SCART allow you to connect controllers directly to GPIO which as I understand it gives access to realtime interrupts, not polling like USB.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
What about controlling via the GPIO pins? Gets rid of any USB lag. Pi2JAMMA and Pi2SCART allow you to connect controllers directly to GPIO which as I understand it gives access to realtime interrupts, not polling like USB.

Be quiet, soon everybody wants a pi!!