MVS Cartridge Case Cleaning / Polishing

chromesphere

New Challenger
I've had a few MVS carts that have come in looking pretty shabby. These things seem to scratch up pretty easily so not sure the finish will last. Just wondering if you guys clean your mvs carts and if you do what do you use to clean it? So far i have found 3000 grit sandpaper, some abrasive cleaner and car polish is the best combination. Its time consuming but i think it comes up pretty good, certainly better then before. Example of a shock troopers cart ive started on, before and after.
Cheers
CS

Attachments

• 20180307_213502.jpg
    20180307_213502.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 160
  • 20180307_213454.jpg
    20180307_213454.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 161

chromesphere

New Challenger
Ah Scratch X, ive used that on cars before. The stuff im using is a cleaner wax which is pretty similar. I've used it on an old style stick like yours as well and the difference was impressive.

Yeah, these carts tend to scratch pretty easily so even if it does look good now, probably wont last long.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Look at you, you've missed the damn point of buying mvs carts in the first place. Cleaning them up, polishing the damn plastic. Fuck me dead and bury me you new cunts have a lot to answer for!

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Look at you, you've missed the damn point of buying mvs carts in the first place. Cleaning them up, polishing the damn plastic. Fuck me dead and bury me you new cunts have a lot to answer for!
This man...he isn't wrong. Embrace the filthyness of MVS.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mistahsnart

New Challenger
This man...he isn't wrong. Embrace the filthyness of MVS.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I'll third this. The sickly stale cigarette smell the wafts from my copy of Ninja Combat whenever I open its Shockbox is like a warm, gross blanket.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
A bunch of my MVS carts had mangled labels. So for ever cart that I replaced the label with a repro label I washed the shell with soap and water before putting on the replacement sticker.

No sanding or polishing. The carts are still heavily scratched up, but they still look good.

https://retromegabit.com/2015/02/22/neo-geo-mvs-label-restoration-for-11-new-games/

neo-geo-mvs-carts-with-new-labels-07.jpg

Ir0n

n00b
I'll third this. The sickly stale cigarette smell the wafts from my copy of Ninja Combat whenever I open its Shockbox is like a warm, gross blanket.

Lmao ugh.. every cart / arcade board I've found locally smells like that..that smell punches you in the face.

As for your cart chromesphere.. it's almost pointless to try and remove the scratches. If you're playing them they'll just get more scratches and if you aren't playing them then what's the point? Half my carts look like someone played kick ball with them on a bed of nails.

Only thing I'd recommend you ever touch up/change on a cart is the labels if they need it. I don't know about you, but I don't use shock boxes so having labels I can actually read is nice.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
LOL @ this thread. You know, instead of cleaning, polishing, label replacement, etc. you could spend all that time playing the games.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
LOL @ this thread. You know, instead of cleaning, polishing, label replacement, etc. you could spend all that time playing the games.

And put wear & tear on the cartridge? Panda, PLS. That's what emulators are for.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I would recommend sand blasting the shell.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I snailtrail all my carts.

chromesphere

New Challenger
Nah i dont play my carts they are to expensive. I lock them away in a glass case (i dont want people touching them either)

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I should change the Ops username to... ChromeMyDome....

xROTx

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Polish MVS carts? Who’s got time for that?
My carts/shells get the glass cleaner + paper towel treatment and that’s it. As long as the cart works, that’s good enough for me.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I had a kof 00 that looked like it had a snailtrail. Have you sold one recently?

I did end up using magic eraser to remove it cuz I was scared of what it could be.

Did it smell like Clorox bleach flavored cheese crumbles?

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member

Settle down Beavis.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I see where this thread went but your first post was all fail for one simple reason:

Before and After shots should be of the same fucking thing, showing the difference.