NEOSD PRO - The New Terranonion Neo Geo Product March 2018.

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
Not a pb, just curious.
My mind concocted stories of attacks on the forums from unwanted third parties, or something like that, but you wanting it that way is as good as a reason for me.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Not a pb, just curious.
My mind concocted stories of attacks on the forums from unwanted third parties, or something like that, but you wanting it that way is as good as a reason for me.

The Reasons are essentially this:

1. Alex was getting STRESSED with reading posts about stuff... mainly RGB stuff.... that is solveable...
2. Alex cannot RELAX... and so i intervened...
3. So for the GOOD of the forum and Alex... I made these forums private and shut out ALL the mother fuckers who just lurk and War room locked fuckers...
4. This way... i can SEE who is reading these threads and deal with them...
5. ANYONE that irritates me... has now been warned... membership here comes with a PRICE... this is NOT a Democracy... never was...

Alex wasn't happy with me when I made these forums Private... but it's my decision... and I KNOW how to run a forum....

Take it or leave it lads....

xROTx

PS. I am NOT Alex's salesman... but I made a promise and I look after people I care about....

EDIT. Like it or NOT... Forum comes FIRST... always and forever with me...

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
Been waiting on ebay for someone to sell off the old one for the nee pro. No luck so far.....

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
Is the Pro coming out anytime soon?
The wait to know the price is agony .... I hope the price won't be too.

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I'm holding out for an MVS version. It's killing me, waiting, waiting.. lol. I'm such a child lol. I keep watching the overview videos on youtube for the Pro and it makes me even more excited. I'm cringing at the possible pricing, but hope it makes a good investment.

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
I'm holding out for an MVS version. It's killing me, waiting, waiting.. lol. I'm such a child lol. I keep watching the overview videos on youtube for the Pro and it makes me even more excited. I'm cringing at the possible pricing, but hope it makes a good investment.

Believe it or not thanks to Uni4 and its PickNMix being able to instantly cycle thru 97 games on the 161-n-1 is quenching my thirst.
Yes those games have glitches, the ROMs are hacked, some of them are based on protos etc...etc... but given I already had it around no point in NOT using it and the instant load/switch without need to hard-reset is just pure bliss (I am on an AES, no support for the 161-n-1 "back to menu")

So waiting for the Pro and if it turns out to be too expensive (for me that is) I hope neosd/neodev consider a stripped down version with basically RAM only and whatever minimum of flash they need for the menu/splash screen/FPGA bitstream. Maybe they can achieve that by simply NOT placing the extra flash chips and having a modified firmware, so it won't need new PCBs design/testing/manufacturing ... will see it is too early either way given the Pro isn't out yet (aside from Yodd that is) and price is not announced. I doubt dropping the flash chips even if possible would reduce the price drastically so it may be a non starter, on top of that I may well be the only customer interested in a RAM only NeoSD Pro--, but I have been wrong in the past many times, finally they stated they would not make another NeoGeo flash cart after the NeoSD and yet here we are with the Pro, there may be space for another variant.

Kirkus

n00b
Is the Pro coming out anytime soon?
The wait to know the price is agony .... I hope the price won't be too.

The price of the regular Neo SD comes out to about 469 bucks after conversion(US citizen). While I did buy one, most people aren't going to spend that kind of money on a system that has about 100 games. I kind of feel like the price the original is so high that they should just replace it altogether with the pro. Two things: You can't price the pro too close to the original's price, or there would be no reason to even list them side by side in the store(obvious reasons). You can't charge much more than the original's nearly 500 dollar price tag without driving away a ton of potential customers. That's assuming that like most businesses, that their goal is to make money. This could be a project that's more about making one of their own dreams come true.

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
Now that the SSDS3 v1->v2 plan is on the way, hopefully we can get some more info on the NeoSD Pro if not a flat out release.

neosd

Neosd Developer
Now that the SSDS3 v1->v2 plan is on the way, hopefully we can get some more info on the NeoSD Pro if not a flat out release.

We are working on production right now, shells should be ready at the middle of next month (june).
We are sourching chips as we speak, not an easy task cause some parts such as the 512mbit flashes are expensive and hard to obtain. Sum that to the new issue on the industry :MLCC shortages

Everyday is harder to find parts and produce. We reached a point where you can´t even source capacitors.

Resuming : when are we going to sell it ? as soon as we have it produced. How much time is going to take this ? we started yesterday to source parts (chips, pcbs, capacitors, resistors, connecors ..), we will know in the following weeks as soon as we have quotation and delivery times for the parts

BTW MLCC shortages (google that for more info), has already affected Super SD System 3 production and Neosd MVS production and i suspect this getting worst on the following months afecting acutal poducts and new products

Last edited:

abathur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Thanks for the update. Sounds like the price point is going to be pretty steep.

neosd

Neosd Developer
There's a resistor shortage going on as well. Good luck guys.

Correct, some resistors on 0603, 0402 and 0805 have 24 weeks of delivery time. Those 512mbit flashes have 40 weeks of delivery time from facory order.
We are trying to source anything we can from dealers and distributors, even if we can´t source all parts. Is still too early to have a picture to guess when we will be able to produce. All i can say is that we have started the production stage this week and that from now we will produce as soon as we have all parts

All those shortages make really hard the production, cause neosd pro is an expnsive product to build so we can´t just afford buying parts to mount 1.000 units and stock those, this would require a fortune we don´t have. We need to produce small batches and doing that means that production times from first batch to seccond one may be months due those shortages.

Factoring, such a headache

Last edited:

Jumpingmanjim

Cheng's Errand Boy
Correct, some resistors on 0603, 0402 and 0805 have 24 weeks of delivery time. Those 512mbit flashes have 40 weeks of delivery time from facory order.
We are trying to source anything we can from dealers and distributors, even if we can´t source all parts. Is still too early to have a picture to guess when we will be able to produce. All i can say is that we have started the production stage this week and that from now we will produce as soon as we have all parts

All those shortages make really hard the production, cause neosd pro is an expnsive product to build so we can´t just afford buying parts to mount 1.000 units and stock those, this would require a fortune we don´t have. We need to produce small batches and doing that means that production times from first batch to seccond one may be months due those shortages.

Factoring, such a headache

I was under the impression that the NAND flash shortage was over, or is it something about these chips that make them hard to get?

neosd

Neosd Developer
I was under the impression that the NAND flash shortage was over, or is it something about these chips that make them hard to get?

Spansion moved to obsolete their current 512mbit NAND flashes and released a new part, the result is you can´t find the old ones (at distributors), and you get 40 weeks of factory delivery time for new ones.
We have requested quotation and delivery dates to all our distributors and chip dealers. The 40 weeks delivery date for the new flashes was given to us 2 months ago, so we asked again yesterday to see if those delivery times changed or some distributor sourced stock in advance.

You know how it woks : you need to find a distributor with already purchased stock or you are fucked cause factory orders are a joke (40 weeks delivery time). The issue is we need 6 512mbit flashes per cart and those flashes are expensive for a distributor buy in advance and wait for a customer to show demanding stock.

Anyways, if you have a realiable source for those i will be more than pleased to submit them quotation.

This is always the same story, you try to purchase components and there is always somehing missing, in christmas it was the arms, now its capacitors, resistors and flashes.

Last edited:

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
We are working on production right now, shells should be ready at the middle of next month (june).
We are sourching chips as we speak, not an easy task cause some parts such as the 512mbit flashes are expensive and hard to obtain. Sum that to the new issue on the industry :MLCC shortages

Everyday is harder to find parts and produce. We reached a point where you can´t even source capacitors.

Resuming : when are we going to sell it ? as soon as we have it produced. How much time is going to take this ? we started yesterday to source parts (chips, pcbs, capacitors, resistors, connecors ..), we will know in the following weeks as soon as we have quotation and delivery times for the parts

BTW MLCC shortages (google that for more info), has already affected Super SD System 3 production and Neosd MVS production and i suspect this getting worst on the following months afecting acutal poducts and new products

I know I know it's only me so far but check this out.
Please Rot forgive me, I understand I am a persistent son a bitch just jumped on this temporary pause in which NeoSD seem to have a couple of minutes.

If the MLCC shortage persists or you can't source the flash chips in time or at a reasonable price in the near future how about a RAM only NeoSD Pro?
You can keep the same PCB with unpopulated flash chips (the added cost to the final user of the more expensive PCB is not that important imho) and have a modified firmware that only deals with the RAM (and probably the devs features Razoola seems so fond of, and if he's fond of something NeoGeo it must be good).
Once the flash chips are available in good quantities at a price you think is good, then the full NeoSD Pro can be produced (you already have everything anyway).
The NeoSD Pro-RAM (just a name I made up) may actually result in being much cheaper and maybe you can afford to stock some inventory, at the same time you may be able to sell enough of it to make up some of your R&D costs for the Pro earlier and still get to deliver the NeoSD Pro-Full down the line.

Maybe it is a stupid idea after all, maybe have a survey in the forum to see if there's enough interest.
You seem to be so good with the NeoGeo and FPGAs that I think you can turn your current product into a RAM only version very quickly (I bet a week or so) without having to change your design much at all .... of course if I am the only customer interested into this solution then it really makes no sense at all.

Anyhow, it is your product, you put your soul into it and you should release it the way you see fit, apologies if I am a little pushy.

Hopefully this post won't get my banned or war room locked.

neosd

Neosd Developer
Good news on the flashes, we found 1920 units in stock and we have purcased all. This will allow us to produce 320 neosd pros.

We will have to decide how many of those wil be AES and MVS, but we will take this decision as soon as we have the rest of the parts.

Anyways, more news on the following weeks once we have the shells ready, i will post pictures and so. We still have to decide the color of the shells (i would like a black transparent smoke shell such as the one we used in super sd system 3 but this may not be everyones taste, so we are thinking about to open a poll on that subject ...)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I know I know it's only me so far but check this out.
Please Rot forgive me, I understand I am a persistent son a bitch just jumped on this temporary pause in which NeoSD seem to have a couple of minutes.

If the MLCC shortage persists or you can't source the flash chips in time or at a reasonable price in the near future how about a RAM only NeoSD Pro?
You can keep the same PCB with unpopulated flash chips (the added cost to the final user of the more expensive PCB is not that important imho) and have a modified firmware that only deals with the RAM (and probably the devs features Razoola seems so fond of, and if he's fond of something NeoGeo it must be good).
Once the flash chips are available in good quantities at a price you think is good, then the full NeoSD Pro can be produced (you already have everything anyway).
The NeoSD Pro-RAM (just a name I made up) may actually result in being much cheaper and maybe you can afford to stock some inventory, at the same time you may be able to sell enough of it to make up some of your R&D costs for the Pro earlier and still get to deliver the NeoSD Pro-Full down the line.

Maybe it is a stupid idea after all, maybe have a survey in the forum to see if there's enough interest.
You seem to be so good with the NeoGeo and FPGAs that I think you can turn your current product into a RAM only version very quickly (I bet a week or so) without having to change your design much at all .... of course if I am the only customer interested into this solution then it really makes no sense at all.

Anyhow, it is your product, you put your soul into it and you should release it the way you see fit, apologies if I am a little pushy.

Hopefully this post won't get my banned or war room locked.

You are the worst kind of 'fan' always with your 2 cents here and 2 cents there. Did it ever occur to you that maybe you're full of shit and no one cares?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Good news on the flashes, we found 1920 units in stock and we have purcased all. This will allow us to produce 320 neosd pros.

We will have to decide how many of those wil be AES and MVS, but we will take this decision as soon as we have the rest of the parts.

Anyways, more news on the following weeks once we have the shells ready, i will post pictures and so. We still have to decide the color of the shells (i would like a black transparent smoke shell such as the one we used in super sd system 3 but this may not be everyones taste, so we are thinking about to open a poll on that subject ...)

I'd say stick with solid black on home system shells, transparent or a color would look weird on those. The smoke would look great on a MVS cart though.

neosd

Neosd Developer
I'd say stick with solid black on home system shells, transparent or a color would look weird on those. The smoke would look great on a MVS cart though.

A part of me thinks the same, but doing that causes the led inside the boards can´t be seen from the outside.

Have you got a Super sd system3 or have you seen the shell in person ? its quite dark and i think it looks prety nice with the aes :

My own taste would be to use this black smoke transparent plastic, but the goal is to make what others want, not what i want for myself

Doing it solid black as the AES shell would be cheaper than smoke transparent black.

Here are some pictures for reference

pro_ssd3_1.jpeg

pro_ssd3_2.jpeg

Last edited:

xwred5

n00b
AES owner. Personally I’d like black - especially if the leds are just for sd card activity or something I don’t really need for operation.

The sss3 was a little different because of the variety of console colors it’s attached to. I am looking forward to buying this.