Let’s talk NGPC in 2018!

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Meager compared to others here but I really enjoy the system and I too had it prior to owning any MVS.

Jh3nDDR.jpg

A good screen replacement would be choice as it really hinders play.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Neo Geo pocket is a slow, guilty pleasure of mine. I've only got around 10 clamshell releases but I'm glad I have what I have.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
What's this now? I've heard of a flashcart that can take a ROM or two at a time, but is there a legitimate SD card style flashcart out there now for purchase?
There is a website -- http://www.retrohq.co.uk/support/neogeo-pocket-sd-support/
I'm not sure if he's shipping much of them now as the developer got very ill for an extended period and the preorders fell behind.

I got in on it way back, ignored the dumb forum drama over it. It's actually a very well made little cartridge and converted the payment to USD I think it cost me either $90-100 shipped at most. It has a solid board within and a 3D printed clamshell with a nice little sticker on the outside. The OS in it is pretty and easy to navigate with easy prompts at the bottom, plus it will work on all models of NGP and NGPC too and will know which it is put into. The device has a total of 16MB of internal storage to copy from SD to system for use. That to me is the only minor downer, the transfer rate is abysmal at 1min for 1MB of transfer, so your smallest (512kb) games will take 30sec to copy and the largest at 4MB will take 4min to dump so in a way the wait range is like the NeoSD. Once they are moved over they're in a position to instantly fire up once selected from the menu. Each game you have whether in storage or memory card can be written in either space to keep that save data up to date so you won't lose any progress regardless of where the game itself currently sits.

Given the asinine pricing on a few games loose which get into far more when complete the thing is a total money saver, and given you may want to minimize carrying around stuff to just 1 cart it's a huge space saver too. 1GB microsd card is all you really need as it will be way too much as it is with that.

Despite having that I do have 15 games, 1 (Biomotor Unitron) is CIB but the rest are just game+dust case. I don't have a huge pile of fighters as I really did love the variety even if it was limited for it. I wish I could have all the games I originally had back when it was on the market but I can't stomach coughing up the price for Rockman and Cotton.

Recently I did get the last game I was looking to get of my original stuff which was Baseball Stars Color outside of those other 2 imports. I've got that, Biomotor Unitron, Dark Arms, Fatal Fury, KOF R2, Last Blade, Metal Slug 1st and 2nd Missions, Neo Turf Masters, Pac-Man, Puzzle Bobble Mini, Samurai Shodown 2, SNK Gals Fighter, SNK vs Capcom MOTM, and Sonic.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Thanks for the write up, Tanooki. That’s given me a much better understanding of the device.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
No problem. I actually did a much larger review like write up for it last year and posted it in that thread for the device running then at AtariAge. I have it backed up here in text format I could look for if there's a need.

The device has had one firmware update made for it so far if anyone is looking to get one that's posted to the site. When you have it mailed to you it comes in a small bubble bag and inside you'll have the device in an electrostatic bag and a basic color manual with a few pictures of the menus and descriptions how everything works. It leaves no mystery at all how the thing works.

Macab0ne

n00b
I should have known better than to click this thread now I miss my NGPC. Favorite games were samurai shodown 2 and bust a move pocket. I remember saving up so I could pick one up with a bunch of games on the day it came out.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Meager compared to others here but I really enjoy the system and I too had it prior to owning any MVS.

Jh3nDDR.jpg

A good screen replacement would be choice as it really hinders play.

did you buy one of those blister packs with the ngpc and six games?

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
did you buy one of those blister packs with the ngpc and six games?

I think the guy I bought it off of, a former co-worker, said that is how he got it. Did one of the packs have a configuration of similar games?

I bought the PB off of ebay.

-SD-

Camel Slug
From what I’ve seen those Pocket Colour Arcade blisters just contain a selection of mostly common titles with maybe a couple of less commons. I’m sure they also sold a blister with just games, like six or eight of them.

Edit:

2OOGOiO.jpg
Njlogub.jpg

And the extra game packs only had four in them:

jc9cX3M.png

AjWYAkG.jpg

Looks like you had the chance of getting some very good games.

Last edited:

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I'm still working on neogroplanet but I've run out of gas and time. I always laugh that people list faselei and evolution as rare, but look for picture puzzle or magical drop as PAL releases... Not easy.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
From what I’ve seen those Pocket Colour Arcade blisters just contain a selection of mostly common titles with maybe a couple of less commons. I’m sure they also sold a blister with just games, like six or eight of them.

Edit:

2OOGOiO.jpg
Njlogub.jpg

And the extra game packs only had four in them:

jc9cX3M.png

AjWYAkG.jpg

Looks like you had the chance of getting some very good games.

I was able to snag a few of those blister 4 packs on Amazon before they got stupid expensive. Great selection of games.

I remember seeing the system and 6 games blister pack in EBX when I was younger and always wanted one, but Pokemon always distracted me

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I'm still working on neogroplanet but I've run out of gas and time. I always laugh that people list faselei and evolution as rare, but look for picture puzzle or magical drop as PAL releases... Not easy.

How does a handheld have PAL releases?

J-P

NEST Puppet
How does a handheld have PAL releases?

It's just a regional thing - some of the packaging was different in the PAL territories. Lots of EU/PAL territory games had clamshell cases, as opposed to US territory releases getting cardboard cases, and later blister-case releases.

But yeah; referring to it as PAL/NTSC is kinda nonsense.

I bought the original Pocket + later upgraded to the Color - man, I do regret selling my set.

Last edited:

Yohanov

n00b
What NGPC would really need in 2018 is new blood such as an indie game. Even wonderswan has a good one in the works.
I was hoping the port of Pocket Rumble would be it but there has been no progress on that since last year.

I still throw on Neo Turf Masters regularly.

Have you seen the thread on here? You can share your best scores there if you want :)

Last edited:

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Time for me to chime in. I'm far away from a full set but I've got most of the interesting titles. I always missed out on games like Evolution, Cool Boarders or Reversi but I think they are not worth the asking price. $300+ for a mediocre dungeon crawler? Not gonna happen.

The only titles I would like to obtain sometime in the future are Dark Arms, Soreike Hanafuda Doujou and maybe Dive Alert (if the price is right).

Skillzguy

n00b
Even though I posted these images already on my collection thread I thought Id also post them in here as I'm new to the forum and world of collecting Neo Geo games (minus ports on other consoles) and systems (The NGX doesn't count) as my NGP adventure began toward the end of summer last year. I would love to have a full 39 game Euro set, however the price of Reversi and some other games when I finally locate a copy may mean I have to put of that dream for a good few years after, or until I have done with education.

However this is my collection so far
IMG_20180322_235810.jpgIMG_20180323_001558.jpgIMG_20180322_235738.jpg

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
That samurai spirits box takes me back to 1998 when I was in Tokyo and randomly saw it on a rack in a camera store. I spent a lot of time playing Samurai Spirits! back then. It only cost like 9800¥ I think. 安いよ!

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
3336c8c4f5449aa5f926480e2ffb7524.jpg

I’m not too into collectibles really, but SNK and the Neo in general have always been my weakness.

I’ll be cracking the Cardfighters strap open and testing its light up function. I’m gonna rock it on the pocket

Gennosuke

n00b
Oh my,so many jewels on this topic! Thanks everyone for sharing,NeoGeo Pocket deserves a lot more love than it got back in the days when it was released.Cheers!

darkkrisp

Cheng's Errand Boy
I’ve had a NGPC since it came out. Great system. Been trying to find the UK clamshell versions to replace my US cardboard versions. Have had no luck finding the UK clamshell version of Gals Fighters.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I’ve had a NGPC since it came out. Great system. Been trying to find the UK clamshell versions to replace my US cardboard versions. Have had no luck finding the UK clamshell version of Gals Fighters.

Neither, it is highly sought after. One went on the forums here for an excellent price a couple of years back.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
One of the gaping holes in my collection is Metal Slug 2. Was it a decent game? What's an english version worth? There's a shop near me that has one for $100 CIB.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
It's a decent game and 100 is too much, even for cib.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member

-SD-

Camel Slug
2nd Mission is a great little platformer/shooter. There’s alternate secret routes to find and hidden guys to rescue so there’s plenty of replability trying to unlock everything. And a secret character: Tequila. So yeah, it should keep you busy for a while.