Let’s talk NGPC in 2018!

gylippus

n00b
Here is my dilemma. I have a certain amount of money at the moment, around 300 - 400 dollars. Here are the games on my want list:

Crush Roller
Fasalei
Evolution
Metal Slug 2
Puzzle Link 1 and 2
Magical Drop Pocket
Fatal Fury

or these Dreamcast games
Cannon Spike
D2
Power Stone 1 and 2

I think Evolution is out, just because it will take most of that money. I would really love Fasalei to come up (UK version) for sale soon, but I would only buy it in the case, so it may take a lot of patience. Magical Drop Pocket also seems super pricey. Does anyone have advice on what I should buy?

-SD-

Camel Slug
Yeah, you’d be wiser spending the money on a Neo Pocket SD/Flash Masta and a USB-GD ROM Controller for the Dreamcast.

gylippus

n00b
Yeah, you’d be wiser spending the money on a Neo Pocket SD/Flash Masta and a USB-GD ROM Controller for the Dreamcast.

You are right, but collecting isn't about wisdom. It is about getting the original version in a box. If I was really wise I would take the 500 dollars and put it in my mutual fund.

jdoll

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I had a nice collection of both cart only and boxed games with a brand NIB light blue console back in 2007 messed up and sold the collection. Found a used light blue model missing battery doors with metal slug at a pawn shop recently for 30 bucks. 3d printed new doors grabbed a flash masta and a new screen

-SD-

Camel Slug
Front-light kit for the Pocket :buttrock:

Doesn’t seem to be available yet on the handheldlegend website though...

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Front-light kit for the Pocket :buttrock:

Doesn’t seem to be available yet on the handheldlegend website though...

I did one of these mods, it was OK...that LOCA is such a bitch to work with though.

-SD-

Camel Slug
So, is anyone feeling like enough of a big tymer to go for the backlight mod? I’d be interested to see how it’s done, and the screen used.

I’m going to have a go with the front-light kit once it’s available... the installation looked relatively simple.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The front light mod in the video looks to be using the same kind of light as the gbc/gba kits. I've tried those and they are garbage, please don't murder a ngpc installing it. The backlight on the other hand seems promising.

lordnikon

Another Striker
I played me about an hour of Tennis on my NGPC during Thanksgiving. It was great :)

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I don’t know if this has been posted here before, I’m too lazy to search for it. But Woozle, the guy who recently created the GBA consolizer has a page on his site dedicated to an NGPC consolizer. I’m not sure how far along he got with this prototype, but it’s looking really promising.

http://stephens-projects.com/projects/neo-geo-pocket-color-console/

I’ve been wishing for something like this for a while. I hope he gets to producing it!

-SD-

Camel Slug
I’ve been wishing for something like this for a while. I hope he gets to producing it!

That’s absolutely incredible! I’d definitely be interested... this seems like the best solution so far.

It’s a shame to hear the front-light kits are a bit shit due to the simplicity, but yeah, the image looks completely washed out.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
So I just ordered one of the backlit NGPCs off etsy. Will post a review as soon as it ships.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
I've had a frontlit NGPC for ages now, so I could do a direct comparison of the two.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm also eager to hear about the Backlit unit. Those pictures look good, but I'm still skeptical.
I'd rather go the console route as well, but I'd want to keep that on a small screen.

I looked into filling in the last gaps in my library, and the prices have gone absolutely bonkers. glad I dont need the rare ones.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
I don’t know if this has been posted here before, I’m too lazy to search for it. But Woozle, the guy who recently created the GBA consolizer has a page on his site dedicated to an NGPC consolizer. I’m not sure how far along he got with this prototype, but it’s looking really promising.

http://stephens-projects.com/projects/neo-geo-pocket-color-console/

That looks AMAZING! I'd love to see this project turn into a reality... Wonder if there could be a workaround to make the system compatible for 2 players. Guess that would involve using 2 systems and wouldn't be an easy feature to achieve, but it would be awesome to play some MOTM VS matches on TV.

Great stuff, thanks for the link.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'm also eager to hear about the Backlit unit. Those pictures look good, but I'm still skeptical.
I'd rather go the console route as well, but I'd want to keep that on a small screen.

I looked into filling in the last gaps in my library, and the prices have gone absolutely bonkers. glad I dont need the rare ones.

I wanna say the only guy doing the backlit mod is charging like $250+ for the backlit units...so, that's reason enough for me to not care.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If I'm reading right $250 is the cost of the modification, if you want an already made unit it's more like $400+

Nigga pls.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
From what I’ve seen those Pocket Colour Arcade blisters just contain a selection of mostly common titles with maybe a couple of less commons. I’m sure they also sold a blister with just games, like six or eight of them.

Edit:

2OOGOiO.jpg
Njlogub.jpg

And the extra game packs only had four in them:

jc9cX3M.png

AjWYAkG.jpg

Looks like you had the chance of getting some very good games.

That's how I got my first NGPC. Haven't seen those game packs before.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The game packs seemed slightly less common than the system packs, but I remember seeing them both at some game stores here in the States. I'm pretty sure all those NOS loose games that flooded ebay for years later came from those packs (or the packs came from the excess loose inventory.)

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
If I'm reading right $250 is the cost of the modification, if you want an already made unit it's more like $400+

Nigga pls.

That's about right if someone else is doing the work.