Let’s talk NGPC in 2018!

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Picked up a stone blue ngpc and SNK vs Capcom MotM for christmas the year it was released in the usa. My original one has great battery life and still gets a lot of play from me to this day (mainly MotM and the "making mode" in KOF R-2). I have a NGP, NGPC, and an NGPC "slim". For games, I only have my favorites and never really aspired to collect all the titles for it:

ngp,ngpc,ngpcs.JPG
The neogeo pocket is on the left, the neogeo pocket color is on the right, and the "slim" neogeo pocket color is above/behind the aes.
The rest of the collection, including some ngpc promo stuff, is in my old thread: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?267818-BlackaneseNiNjA-s-neo-junk

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
One of the gaping holes in my collection is Metal Slug 2. Was it a decent game? What's an english version worth? There's a shop near me that has one for $100 CIB.

I know this reply is a bit late, but if you can kick the collectard box cravings you can still get loose copies of Slug 2 for about $15-25.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Love NGPC but only have a handful of loose games. Man all those clamshell. So jealous.

My one issue is the screen. Anyone know if there's a LCD solution now that it's 2018? Like the Lynx and Game Gear McWill's LCD upgrade?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Unfortunately no. Best thing is transplanting the frontlight from a SP, but the end result is pretty awful.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yeah, sunlight or a well positioned desk lamp are the best we’ve got to work with.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Honestly I feel that the NGPC screen is pretty good when compared to the various non lit Gameboy ones. I have a backlit modded console but prefer to sit near a lamp and play on my slim.

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
I had an almost complete mint euro NGPC set ... Only missing 5 titles, mostly the B&W ones. I kinda regret selling it a couple of years ago ... I remember selling Pocket Reversi for something like 1100$ in 2014, the rest I sold them at a very discounted price, nobody was wanting them. I should have sold them here !

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I admit some of these games haven't aged well. Tried playing Gal Fighters and couldn't get into it. Maybe I'm just sick of fighters? SNK Vs Capcom is an awesome game though.

What do you guys think of Evolution Eternal Dungeons and Faselei! ? Haven't touched them in years. I never beat them, or Dark Arms for that matter.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Faselei! is a lot of fun! Great game with a cool storyline.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Faselei! is a lot of fun! Great game with a cool storyline.

Next chance I get I should play the RPGs for NGPC again.

Too bad we never got english versions of Card Fighters 2, Ogre Battle, or Biomotor Unitron 2.

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
I admit some of these games haven't aged well. Tried playing Gal Fighters and couldn't get into it. Maybe I'm just sick of fighters? SNK Vs Capcom is an awesome game though.

What do you guys think of Evolution Eternal Dungeons and Faselei! ? Haven't touched them in years. I never beat them, or Dark Arms for that matter.
I never was a fan of NGPC rpgs... Not bad, but nothing spectacular compared to other consoles. I prefer puzzles and fighter games on it.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member

Faselei and Dark Arms are really very good games.
Evolution i did not play yet, even thought i have it. Bio Motor Unitron, i did play very little but not much. Does not seem very interesing, but i could be wrong.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
BMU was the first NGPC game I bought and finished. It’s very similar to Pokémon, so if that is your thing I’d give it a look.

-SD-

Camel Slug
Faselei! is a fantastic strategy RPG... having to give your mecha individual commands from a limited set makes for an interesting tactical game. Once you start to upgrade your mecha to accept more commands and get a greater variety of them things become a little easier. Great game, well worth playing.

And yeah, Unitron is very much like a Pokémon in that you explore random dungeons fighting monsters... but that’s so you can upgrade your mecha and then fight other Unitron mechs in a battle arena in the town. Overall another solid mecha RPG for the Pocket, just a shame we never got the sequel in the West.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The final boss fight in Faselei! frustrated me to no end. So many failed attempts. That said, it looked fantastic on the little handheld. I should give it another go.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
The final boss fight in Faselei! frustrated me to no end. So many failed attempts. That said, it looked fantastic on the little handheld. I should give it another go.

Oh man, same. No matter what I did I always ran out of ammo. I should fire it up and give it another go now. I might luck out?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
To those of you who own Evolution: Where did you get it and why is it so rare? Did they sell it in stores in the UK, or did you have to import it? I remember buying it in 2000 for $50 at NCX. You had to pre order too.

-SD-

Camel Slug
I remember when Virgin was clearing out all of its NGPC stuff... there was this tiny standee jobbie with about 4 or 5 copies of Evolution reduced to something daft like a tenner.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I remember when Virgin was clearing out all of its NGPC stuff... there was this tiny standee jobbie with about 4 or 5 copies of Evolution reduced to something daft like a tenner.

:O
Wow that's a goldmine there!

I was lucky enough to take a trip to the UK in 2000 and was in tower records in london and saw a ton of Card Fighters clamshell at Tower and got the last copy of Last Blade at EB. They were going to put out Last Blade in the US but never did. It was a present surprise to get the clamshell version.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
To those of you who own Evolution: Where did you get it and why is it so rare? Did they sell it in stores in the UK, or did you have to import it? I remember buying it in 2000 for $50 at NCX. You had to pre order too.

It's UK only if you want english for one. Not dual language. That likely made production numbers low.
I bought it second hand, but prior to the $100+ surge.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member

Bought it 2nd hand with Faselei, SNK vs Capcom MoM & booth cartfighters from someone. Most of the games where not expensive back then.
For the calmshells i had to import the newer ones from Switzerland or Austria, because most sellers in Germany only did buy US Versions cardbox.
I did not buy newer games later because i already had a Pocket Flash Linker. Thats why i missed out on some Calmshell games.

gylippus

n00b
I just joined this board and I own a npc with about 14 games. I actually bought mine a few months before they stopped supporting the system, although I didn't know that at the time. I can't say that I am a big time collector. I picked up some games I liked, played them, and every now and then I get another one. I remember buying Cotton back then for like 50 bucks and thinking it was just so much money for a discontinued system. I also remember playing Biomotor Unitron and just loving it. I was eagerly waiting for the sequel to be translated to English and then the company went under. I noticed someone posted earlier and said that Cotton and Evolution were still around 200 bucks. I checked on eBay and I looked at previously sales. Evolution is going for around 300 - 400 (UK clamshell version) and Cotton is about the same. I have also noticed Puyo Pop, Magical Drop Pocket, Crush Roller, and Puzzle Link have gone up a lot in the last few years. Apparently more people are collecting and there are only so many games around.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing. Cotton is one game I’m missing. Hoping to find one some day.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Unfortunately no. Best thing is transplanting the frontlight from a SP, but the end result is pretty awful.

I wouldn't say it's awful, but it's not a modern LCD. I feels like what we would have got back in when it was released.
The biggest barrier is the mod itself which is a huge pain, but I play this thing way more after the light.

ngpc.jpg